Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2005 7:59:05 PM EDT
Finally got the Romanian AK fully assembled and took it out to Lexington to test fire it, a few snags along the way, bolt sticking back sometimes, but went well for the most part.  Battle accuracy seems to be decent, I was popping tin cans at about 75 yards offhand, not bad at all.

Lexington looked more like a garbage dump than a range, it's disgusting that some people bring all this junk out to shoot at, and then leave it!

While I was there a couple of guys came along, from what I overheard they were planning to do repairs to the benches, maybe people will be more responsible if things are fixed up a bit.

No pictures yet, the next step is finishing the metal, and refinish the wood parts.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Wingman, if you have a dial caliper or can borrow one, measure the width of the slots in the bolt carrier. It should be around .99". Open your rails to around 1.01" inches and it should run fine.
Sometimes, the hammer can be dragging or it can be catching on the insertion slots at the rear stock block. Look for sharp edges on those insertion slots where the bolt carrier might be hanging.
It happened to me on one of the flats we bent. Also on a Global receiver.
Sounds like you got the thing well under control.
Get some pics up for us when you refinish it!
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:59:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Isn't it fun makin cans dance!!
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Took the rifle apart today to start the refinish, there are two distinct sticky spots on the bolt/carrier travel, both toward the rear of the travel.  With the hammer removed the bolt and carrier are very free with no sticky spots at all, so it seems to be connected to the hammer in the Tapco G2 fire control kit, I don't see any burrs or edges that might be causing the sticky spots in the bolt travel.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:23:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Look on the rear edges of the bolt carrier, where it inserts into the rails. The shoulders that hold the bolt carrier in the rails - the ones that go in the rear insertion slots - might be hanging on the rails at the insertion slot. When installing the rear stock with rivets, sometimes the rear of the receiver flares out, then in ever so slightly.
You can take a small file and put more of a "roll" or radius on the bolt carriers shoulders (leading edge) so they have less tendency to hang up. I would'nt or modify the hammer. The upwards pressure of the hammer causes those shoulders to hang up on the insertion slot - on mine anyway!
J.O. call me if I can help!
Dan
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this an AK47 or an AK74??
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
AK47

I played with it some, and rounded some edges, I'm in the process of the finishing right now, get that done and reassemble before I can see if it made any difference.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I stripped all that crap off the wood yesterday, the stock and forward handgrip are laminates, there's some really nice looking wood underneath all that junk!  

Put my first coat of Tung Oil on it today.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
AK47

I played with it some, and rounded some edges, I'm in the process of the finishing right now, get that done and reassemble before I can see if it made any difference.

well if you're anything like me you like to have a few AK mags with ya at the gun range. nothin worse that a hungry AK. So, with that said, The2005 Fall Shooting Supplies "SHOOTERS" issue of the The Sportsmans Guide, on the back cover has a 10 pack of 30 round AK47 magazines for $$24.97 ($22.47 if yer in the buyers club). But I've checked online to order these and its tellin me "10 Used AK-47 30-rd. Mags.....This Ad is currently not available!" BUT, the magazine als says "Orders after Jan31st $29.97" so....I'm maybe guessing they haven't updated the website as of yet. I will check back with them often to see if the site gets updated with this. Jeeez, 10-30 round mags for $25 bucks! Thats like a sore *!@# you can't beat it!! hahahaha Anyways, I'll keep ya posted on this if I see them on the website! There is a slight chance that it might not be orderable online. That wouldn't make sense to me but we'll see I guess.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 4:00:09 PM EDT
[#9]
This photo doesn't even begin to show how good this stock looks, but it does show a bit of the figure from the laminations.  I've got 6 coats of Tung oil on it, and it looks great!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top