Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2022 5:57:19 PM EDT
I was wondering if anybody here has, or a link to, a Virginia building code approved, or any building code approved, concrete pier size and layout diagram for a 40’ shipping container.

I live in Bedford county, and was told by the building code office that I needed to hire an architect to design one so they could approve it. That would cost quite a bit of $.

There has to be a “one size fits all” kind of a deal for these things since they’re all the same dimensions, and built the same way. I am just referring to the 40’ containers.

Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering if anybody here has, or a link to, a Virginia building code approved, or any building code approved, concrete pier size and layout diagram for a 40’ shipping container.

I live in Bedford county, and was told by the building code office that I needed to hire an architect to design one so they could approve it. That would cost quite a bit of $.

There has to be a “one size fits all” kind of a deal for these things since they’re all the same dimensions, and built the same way. I am just referring to the 40’ containers.

View Quote

To start - what are you trying to do?  What’s the purpose and intent for the container?

Also - what’s the zoning for the property, general conditions and soils (or at least ground condition)?

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To start - what are you trying to do?  What’s the purpose and intent for the container?

Also - what’s the zoning for the property, general conditions and soils (or at least ground condition)?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m needing something to stay in until I can build my house(720sqft) later on. It will have a kitchen & bath. Then the container would just be used as an office/playroom/storage/whatever.

The property is zoned Agricultural/Residential.

The soil type is VA red clay if you know what I mean. On a 30+\- degree hill.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:37:32 AM EDT
[#4]

Getting ready for work, and I haven't used this book in about 20 years,
but you might find what you need in the IRC.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/525420/Screenshot_20220425-175641_Gallery-2361855.jpg

Getting ready for work, and I haven't used this book in about 20 years,
but you might find what you need in the IRC.
View Quote

Thank you for the reply, but…

They told me that they do not have any guidelines for piers, and that I would have to get an architect to design them. Then they would just go along with the architects layout.

I’m wondering if a lot of these people on YouTube that are putting their containers on piers are not worrying about it because they’re “off the grid”.

Some are to code though so there has to be some sets of approved pier foundations for them floating around out there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:53:35 AM EDT
[#6]
Why piers?  Can you excavate a flat spot and use a standard footer?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why piers?  Can you excavate a flat spot and use a standard footer?
View Quote

The hill that it’s on doesn’t really allow me to do that unless I want to build a 6 foot wall 10+ feet behind the structure. They told me I would need the ground to slope away all the way around it to allow for drainage.

With piers I wouldn’t have to worry about any of that.

I have no flat spots to build on.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 11:38:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Maybe you could get by with one of these sets of plans in Bedford.

https://totc.gumroad.com/l/uzQcL
https://modernhomeproject.gumroad.com/l/WLXVe
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#9]
You are planning on living in this for a short time?  

It would be much cheaper to buy an RV or camper for this short time.

This container is going to be expensive for what you want
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought about going that route, but decided it wouldn’t help me in the big picture.

The container will be kept, and used for various things after I build my house. I have things I need to store, and I wouldn’t be able to do that with an RV.

I know a container isn’t the perfect choice, but it isn’t a bad one.

I like the idea of having a metal box I can somewhat secure. It would also fit the area I have.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for the link. I’ll definitely check it out.
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
In AG zone, just call it a developing agricultural structure and not worry.   Why needlessly invite a building code goober into your life???
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In AG zone, just call it a developing agricultural structure and not worry.   Why needlessly invite a building code goober into your life???
View Quote

It’s going to cost $6,500 to get power run back in there. It has to be buried per land agreement, and it’s 850’ long. I don’t have to pay that bill if it’s a house that passes code. I will have to pay that bill for a structure that doesn’t.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 12:51:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

These are nice, but are way bigger than what I can do. I’m just looking at a one container project.
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 5:09:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Op,

The 6500 for power the conex box.....  I think you would be better off getting a camper to live in.  A generator for power until house is built, and a conex for storage.  Just dig a flat spot and plop the conex down.  

This is what I did at my land. It has worked out very well.  I didn't build a house but a small hunting cabin.  I have sold the conex, sold the camper and have power.   Also putt up a steel building for storage
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Op,

The 6500 for power the conex box.....  I think you would be better off getting a camper to live in.  A generator for power until house is built, and a conex for storage.  Just dig a flat spot and plop the conex down.  

This is what I did at my land. It has worked out very well.  I didn't build a house but a small hunting cabin.  I have sold the conex, sold the camper and have power.   Also putt up a steel building for storage
View Quote

Your post might be a sign as to what I should do.

In the last 48 hours…

I’ve sadly realized the shipping container wasn’t going to work.

I’ve had a family member offer me a very nice 15’ x 17’ “Getaway Cabin” with a loft that they built on piers a few years ago, and used three times. Its a 1000’ away on the property next door. I’m calling next week to see about moving it. I can’t legally live in it, but it will help a lot with storage. All I have to do is build piers for a foundation, and pay to move it.

I’m just going to pay to have the electricity put in.

All this, and your camper idea. I might have a plan until I can get my house/cabin built.

I started this journey at the end of 2017. I’ve hit roadblock after roadblock, and the price of construction has literally doubled since then. It was $100 a sqft in 2018. Now it’s $175 to $200 a sqft.

My journey is still going. Thank you everyone for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/1/2022 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Sorry I couldn't help.  Way back in '08 (Fauquier County)
the only thing required of me to be engineered were roof
trusses, stamped for proof.  They let me design my own
piers supporting the first floor.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top