Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2014 12:18:07 PM EDT
VA Ex-Gov. Robert McDonnell and wife charged with accepting illegal gifts

Sent: Tuesday, January 21, 2014 3:43 PM
Subject: CNN Breaking News

Former Virginia Gov. Robert McDonnell and his wife, Maureen, have been charged with accepting illegal gifts, a U.S. official says.

McDonnell had been under investigation by the FBI for his relationship with a certain donor who provided multiple gifts, including large financial contributions, to the governor and his family.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:40:02 PM EDT
[#1]
As they should be, if they did anything wrong. I have a feeling it's more politically motivated than anything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#2]
What a fuckwit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#3]
New Virginia Attorney General fires lawyers for Ex-Governor:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/herring-drops-taxpayer-funded-lawyers-for-mcdonnell-and-former-staff/2014/01/16/03b4b1dc-7ee2-11e3-9556-4a4bf7bcbd84_story.html

RICHMOND — Attorney General Mark R. Herring on Thursday dismissed two law firms that charged Virginia taxpayers about $785,000 to represent the office of former governor Robert F. McDonnell and his staff in investigations related to lavish gifts that a businessman provided to the McDonnell family.

Herring’s predecessor, former attorney general Ken Cuccinelli II (R), had hired the private firms after determining that he had a conflict of interest in the matter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 1:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Exactly what I was thinking.  Virginia could be like Illinois and have two consecutive governors in prison.

That being said, McDonnell was a really good governor for gun owners.  It's a bummer.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 2:33:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Very disappointing.  I'm hoping it isn't true.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I figure it's a setup like the Christy bridge thing
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're kidding right?

Link Posted: 1/21/2014 6:22:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're kidding right?

No doubt.   Read the article I posted.   Complete with the governor's wife taking money from the business man in question, using that money to buy his companies stock, then trying to hide the purchase over several years, including her kids in the plot to do it.    Nothing more than crony capitalism perpetrated by a holier than thou corrupt politician that gave us a $6 billion dollar tax increase.  As far as I am concerned they can burn them both at the stake.
Link Posted: 1/21/2014 8:20:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What a fuckwit.
View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#11]
First ones charged, but certainly not the first to do such.  If you think this isn't politically motivated your nuts.  That said, I hope they get prosecuted to the full extent allowed.  Maybe it will be a wake up call to the other corrupt poli.... oh who am I kidding?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:47:25 AM EDT
[#12]
It's always amazing to me what people think they can get away with.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:55:53 AM EDT
[#13]
My guess is that with Holder at the helm at Justice, the McAuliffe investigation will suddenly evaporate.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My guess is that with Holder at the helm at Justice, the McAuliffe investigation will suddenly evaporate.
View Quote

Not so sure about that.    I think Barry's people would love to break one off in Hilldog's bag man.   Will really depend on what Barry and his people want to do as far as fielding a canidate for 16.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds to me like his wife got caught up in feeling "important," equated that with "rich," and ran up some serious debt. Bob saw a way out and unwisely cooperated in doing it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:43:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Good, any form of corruption in a politician should be charged at the fullest extent, regardless of party.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#17]

If McDonnell survives he should eject ASAP. That wife of his is a real piece of work. The way it looks she put them in the poor house with CC debt. As a sitting Governor McDonnell broke no Virginia laws. Fuck the Feds. That said the gift laws in Virginia need to be tightened-up.

Timmy Kane did the same fucking thing when he was Governor to the tune of 180K but I sure did not see the DOJ go after him.

Meanwhile in Congress they are free to get rich on insider info. Double standards, how do they work?
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 6:49:18 AM EDT
[#18]
interdashing

"McDonnell's legal team focused on gifts received by U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine, a Democrat who was Virginia's governor from 2006 to 2010. According to court records and published media accounts, those gifts included use of a free vacation home on a private Caribbean island called "Mustique" from James B. Murray Jr., an investor who Kaine reappointed to a state commission on higher education board appointments."
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Im sure politics has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:20:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Im sure politics has something to do with it.
View Quote

I'm with you. I really thought he was presidential but he blew that....
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#21]
At this point, he could probably peel off a few "Macaca's," without doing any more damage than is already done.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:43:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nothing more than crony capitalism perpetrated by a holier than thou corrupt politician that gave us a $6 billion dollar tax increase.  As far as I am concerned they can burn them both at the stake.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:04:56 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm very disappointed in McDonnell, but considering the Feds track record, they don't start doing charges until they're rock solid.
Link Posted: 1/28/2014 1:13:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I found it hilarious they were paid off to support a dietary supplement made from TOBACCO!!! "Get cancer and LOSE WEIGHT!!!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top