Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2013 9:41:15 AM EDT
Hi, I am looking for a house to rent for my family (the wife, myself and the 2 young kids.) I work at the Pentagon so I am looking for an area no more than 40 miles from work. Schools are important and of course. Which place (or other areas) would you guys recommend? Thanks, C.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't speak for Leesburg.  But have been living just east of Warrenton for nearly 10 years.  I love it here.

On the east side of Fauquier county you have the newest schools in the county.  During my time here there has been Elemenatry, Middle, and High School all built to service the New Baltimore/Vint Hill area.  With the new schools came a complete dedicated staff getting high remarks and testing results.  Not saying other schools of Faquier are doing bad or anything just these seem to be excelling.

The whole county here seems to have more of a small easy living atmosphere.

If you have any other questions give me a shout I will be glad to answer.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 12:23:17 PM EDT
[#2]
C, where are you moving from? Do you know the DC area?  That commute is going to be looooooooooooooooong.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I have been working in DC for a couple of months. The past 3 weeks I have been staying at my older daughter's apartment in Alexandria. I work off hours (12 noon til 8pm) so the commute shouldn't be too bad.
Link Posted: 8/25/2013 6:06:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel like Warrenton is a little more real country, Leesburg a bit more money country.  There's a lot of options south too (not that I'm advocating that).  Working off hours though 66 might be a good choice since you'll be outside of HOV restrictions.  Worth asking though, what are you looking to spend in rent and what kinda place do you want?  There are quite a few semi-affordable options closer to the pentagon.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I lived in Leesburg 20 years ago in my journey back to B-ville, but Leesburg has changed a lot since then; Warrenton by a mile in my book just based upon urban issues and type of characters I have seen walking around Leesburg lately.

Marshall is further than Warrenton, but a very nice community, every consider there?  FWIW Marshall is WAY more rural if you like that.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 11:22:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I will concentrate between Warrenton and Marshall. Thanks, C.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 1:42:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I will concentrate between Warrenton and Marshall. Thanks, C.
View Quote

I recommend that you do a couple of test runs before you settle.  Depending on the hour, you will be looking at 1.5+ hour commute in stop and go traffic.  You maybe able to catch VRE or get in a commuter bus, as other possibilities.
Link Posted: 8/26/2013 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm in Ashburn - one step closer to DC from Leesburg and I love it - but I'm not so sure I'd be happy if I had to commute to the Pentagon every day.  Tolls add up quickly as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2013 4:44:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Like I posted earlier I work off hours so traffic wont be as bad
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 4:50:20 AM EDT
[#10]
I went out to Manassas yesterday, crossed that town off my list of places to move.
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 5:23:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I work in North Arlington, and commute from Herndon.  On the toll-road.  In a hybrid that is HOV eligible.  My commute on a great day is 30 minutes, and on a bad day is almost 2 hours. One of my office mates commutes from Ashburn, and he doesn't mind it too much.  However, I would be hard pressed to have a much farther commute.  You don't get as much house for your money closer in, but you don't live your life around your commute.  I would love to have 5 acres, but I will happily settle for my 1/4 acre backing to woods.  

If you aren't used to a monster commute as part of your life, you may find yourself getting miserable in a hurry - especially if you want to see your kids.

-shooter
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 7:16:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went out to Manassas yesterday, crossed that town off my list of places to move.
View Quote

Very wise - driving down there is murder.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 5:41:38 AM EDT
[#13]
I drive into Arlington after 10 am and head home after 8 pm so I wont be dealing with the crazy traffic
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 6:00:49 AM EDT
[#14]
We live in Manassas(Prince William Co part) not in the city. It is quiet, dark at night ( unless full moon) and a lot of wildlife run through the yard daily. Had a 6 pt buck with velvet last night in front yard eating apples off the tree. Red fox all over the place. Our dogs love it. Renting on 1.5 acres. Again-- in the county part of Manassas-down 234 between Lake Jackson and Woodbridge. A lot of BFL's out here.
Link Posted: 8/31/2013 9:03:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I stay during the week at my adult daughter's in Alexandria and head north on the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/2/2013 4:12:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It looks like I will be trying for a house in Warrenton. Thanks guys, C.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#17]
you'll enjoy it down here
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Welcome to the neighborhood.  Give me a shout if you want and we could go down to Clark Brothers for some shooting.

Have a nice day.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/5/2013 9:32:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 11:52:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Update..

I am still looking for a rental. perferrably Faquier County. I need a 3br 1+ bath. My budget is 1500+ or -. Thanks, C.
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#21]

If you're still considering Leesburg I have a 3br, 2.5 bath, in a community that butts up to a nature preserve so it's pretty quite, but only 5 minutes to the toll road. However, it is $2350.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top