Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2009 5:10:04 AM EDT
Got notified of  a closeout deal on lowers and wanted to share it with the hometown crew. R-guns has a contract overrun of Sharps mil-spec forged lowers and are blowing them out at $55 while they last. I'm not familiar with this brand, but have had decent dealings with the vendor in the past.

Link
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm...link didn't work for me just now.  Like the OP, I'm not familiar with this brand of lower, but I've bought a half-dozen lowers from RGuns over the past few years with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 5:23:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow!   Thanks for the heads up!

Wish I could take advantage.  Adding a couple more stripped lowers is tempting... but I've already spent beyond my means this month.  Need a cool-off period, especially with the holidays coming up.
Link Posted: 11/15/2009 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Yikes!  
Didn't realize this was the company that had posted the guys personal info and called his local LE to say he was unstable!  I remember that one, but apparently forgot what company it was
That said, and with that knowledge, if they were $5 or even free, I'd shy away!
Link Posted: 11/16/2009 7:43:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Oooh.  Not so good.  I guess I won't be buying anything else from them.  Too many vendors with goo customer service around.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 2:00:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Just for grins I bought 4.  Came in 48 hours, $20 shipping total $5 each.  Beautiful lowers and each in a neat plastic box.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 5:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just for grins I bought 4.  Came in 48 hours, $20 shipping total $5 each.  Beautiful lowers and each in a neat plastic box.

Have you built anything on them yet?

That's a great price and I'd love to throw a few extra lowers in the safe.  But I wouldn't be able to build on them for 6 mos to a year.  I'd hate to pull them out of the safe a year from now and find out that parts don't fit in them.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
How do they fit different uppers?

Will mags drop free? Especially P mags?

Round holes?

Machining marks and finish?

Will a  BCG slide in easily or does it bind?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Good questions!  I will check today

Here is the group!

I put it on a retro upper and the results were excellent.  There is a slight mismatch midway but the same mismatch occurred on other lowers in stock and they are all the same.  I love the finish.

Dang near perfect fit IMO

Here is the mismatch I mentioned.  3 different lower brands all are the same so it must be the retro upper.

A look at the guts...

Comparing it to a LRB and Doublestar lower, the Sharp has (IMO) the best finish:

And a meaningless photo of my squirrel getting me in trouble with the wife

Link Posted: 11/20/2009 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I appreciate the pics. Cute squirrel too. We get wild ones on our porch that dig into my wife's plants there. She hates that!

When you get a chance to pin the upper & lower together and then see how much play is between them and check mag fitments, I'm sure many of us here would appreciate it. Pinning the upper & lower will often show up looseness between them that doesn't show when you just press them together.

From your pics, they do look really good!

The reason I ask these things is I got hold of a Charles Daley lower. CD's are supposed to be great quality, right? It has .004" play between it and the uppers I have pinned in place. Not bad. But not as snug as I like. And old style P Mags won't fall free when released. They just stick a tiny bit. They pull free easily. They just don't Drop free when released. Minor gripes on a perfectly functional lower. But I would rather my next one be better. Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/20/2009 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Good questions!  I will check today

Here is the group!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp001.jpg

I put it on a retro upper and the results were excellent.  There is a slight mismatch midway but the same mismatch occurred on other lowers in stock and they are all the same.  I love the finish.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp002.jpg

Dang near perfect fit IMO

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp005.jpg

Here is the mismatch I mentioned.  3 different lower brands all are the same so it must be the retro upper.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp006.jpg

A look at the guts...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp007.jpg

Comparing it to a LRB and Doublestar lower, the Sharp has (IMO) the best finish:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp008.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/Sharp009.jpg

And a meaningless photo of my squirrel getting me in trouble with the wife

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/ritcheyd/FB015.jpg

Thanks for the pics and response.

Tell your wife I'll loan her my dog.  He loves to play with squirrels.

Little sucker baits them.  When the wife gives the dogs a plastic peanut butter jar to play with he llicks when he can out of it and drops it near the deck.  Then he hides under the deck behind the hastas and ambushes the squirrels.

Link Posted: 11/22/2009 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#12]
now that's a good dog!!!

back to the lowers, my only real concerns are, why does the roll mark say 50 Cal next to 5.56?  And I'm wondering about the fit of the rest of the hardware, pins, trigger group, stock, grip, safety, etc.  It seems like these lowers are seconds in some way but still if the only blemish is the roll mark, I would consider buying one to build a 6.8 or do something else like paint it with a digital pattern.  I have a nice rock river lower that I built and it works great.  

I would love to hear from anyone that has built one of these lowers and fired it.  Not just rested a bunch of pretty uppers on it for eyeball comparisons.  loved the photos, and did appreciate that guys post.
Link Posted: 11/22/2009 7:18:26 PM EDT
[#13]
The marking looks to me like it's saying 5.56 through .50 cal, but it would have been as easy to mark "Multi".
The original offer said they were contract overruns, not seconds.
Link Posted: 11/23/2009 1:23:18 AM EDT
[#14]
They were all consecutive serial #s all below 2000.  I took the rollmark to mean "multi" also.  Seems it is hard to get manufacturers to just say multi.

I will try to do a little more work on this today.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 6:54:12 AM EDT
[#15]
OK, I had some more time for this.  Interestingly I did a few things and the Sharps turned out fine.  First, upside down view of the Sharp in the middle and a Doublestar on the left, an LRB on the right.  Note the forging area is smooth on the Sharp, but unfinished on the others.

This is a closeup of the Sharp:

Next I put some pins in the Sharp with the old retro upper and it fit great.  I found I could slide a piece of paper in the crack, but not a business card.  Magazine fit fine but this is a stripped lower...

The biggest gap I found was at the back where a business card almost fit in a few places.  This was on the curved section.

Link Posted: 11/24/2009 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#16]
So what's everyone's take on these?  Good deal?  I'm looking at building my first AR.  It's on a seriously tight budget and just for plinking.  

Link Posted: 11/25/2009 2:44:41 AM EDT
[#17]
This lower looks great, but by the time you pay shipping, transfer fees and so on any lower gets expensive.  I built some ARs on CMT lowers, which I consider one of the best (they are now Stag) and still had to do a little tweaking here and there.  Mostly extending the depth of a few holes for springs.  I wish I knew the future, lowers may trade better than gold someday!
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 6:07:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Those fits look good. The slightly larger gap at the back is normal on all my different AR's.

My understanding on the gap between the upper & lower is that .009" is max mil spec. That is a lot of slop in my book. My old Colt SP1 as well as my DSA upper on CD lower measure out at .004". And that is a bit more wriggle than I prefer. I put accuwedges in them so I don't notice the wriggle. Both are great shooters though. The DSA especially. So a bit of gap there seems to not affect accuracy. My Oly Plinker and my BM both measure out at .002". You squeeze the upper & lower together to be able to push the pins in. Nice & snug. But they all function fine and are not picky on ammo. I can't complain!
Link Posted: 11/25/2009 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those fits look good. The slightly larger gap at the back is normal on all my different AR's.

My understanding on the gap between the upper & lower is that .009" is max mil spec. That is a lot of slop in my book. My old Colt SP1 as well as my DSA upper on CD lower measure out at .004". And that is a bit more wriggle than I prefer. I put accuwedges in them so I don't notice the wriggle. Both are great shooters though. The DSA especially. So a bit of gap there seems to not affect accuracy. My Oly Plinker and my BM both measure out at .002". You squeeze the upper & lower together to be able to push the pins in. Nice & snug. But they all function fine and are not picky on ammo. I can't complain!

Honestly, all this stuff about the receiver gap is kinda hocus pocus to me if you're building anything other than a Match/Varmint rifle.  I got issued the most f-ed up FN M16A2 in basic, that thing you could hear it rattling when you slung it from the gap between recievers, it had to be at least .01 or wider gap, it was BAD.  AND, i shot expert with the damn thing constantly. it had to shoot at least MOA, and that aint bad.  I figured gap is mainly a cosmetic thing for 90% of what people use these rifles for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top