Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2008 12:14:25 PM EDT
Does anybody know of a way to get access to a can sealer (manual or electric)?

I have some items that I'd like to dry-pack, but I don't know anybody who has one that I can use.

Nor can I see shelling out over $1K for a machine that would only be used on a rare occasion.
(Not to mention that Mrs. Tanker would skin me....)
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:31:06 PM EDT
[#1]
You might try contacting your county agent, the school systems in conjuction with the state used to have canneries that citizens could access. The county agent should be able to help you find one.  An alternative method might be the vaccumn systems currently available, they are not expensive and work very well.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#2]
LDS is about the best place to find one from what I hear.   How about just 5 gallon buckets, mylar bags and O2 absorbers?
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
LDS is about the best place to find one from what I hear.   How about just 5 gallon buckets, mylar bags and O2 absorbers?

I talked to the local church, and they claimed that they didn't have anybody who did that
stuff, nor had done it for several years.

For the vast majority, buckets, mylar & O2 absorbers is the way I was going to go. I just
was looking to do up several cans of various items for immediate, ready use, before I
had to break open a 5-gallon bucket of whatever.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You might try contacting your county agent, the school systems in conjuction with the state used to have canneries that citizens could access. The county agent should be able to help you find one.  An alternative method might be the vaccumn systems currently available, they are not expensive and work very well.

I'll check into the county agent thing.

I have a vacuum sealer, and it's good for some items, but others it doesn't lend itself
to very well. Rice, for example, has occasionally pin-holed the bags rather quickly, so it
loses it's seal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top