Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/13/2008 8:33:00 AM EDT
after years of instant passing, the last two buys, two weeks apart brought me delay times of 3 hours each! never had trouble before,i even hold a CCW! anybody else running into this?
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:50:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Given the massive spike in sales (and checks), I'm not surprised.

I've always had delays for mine, despite having CHP/03FFL.

Haven't even attempted to buy any new firearms any time recently.  I can only imagine my check taking a full day nowadays.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Was the repsonse back from the VSP "delayed" or did the approved response take 3 hours to get?  My guess is that you are now being delayed for the reason I give below.

There are only three responses from the VSP

APPROVED
DELAYED, EBC REQUIRED
DENIED

If you where delayed, it is because there is now a matching required with the information that you provided that requires an extended background check.  The dealer will add your height, weight, city and state of birth information to the information initially provided.  This has nothing to do with your checks in the past, each check is new and unique.  As more and more bad guy information is entered into the NICS system it is possibled that you could go from instant approval to delayed.  It really has nothing to do with anything that has changed for you personally, just the information provided matched a record and a EBC has to be done.  Most of the folks I now that are delayed are approved within 20 to 40 minutes, sometimes longer.  It is much quicker since the background checks can be done online now without having to call it in.

Quoted:
after years of instant passing, the last two buys, two weeks apart brought me delay times of 3 hours each! never had trouble before,i even hold a CCW! anybody else running into this?

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 11:43:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The fourth option, which is what I encountered, is the VSP operator mistyped your information. There have been a number of new people hired to to the checks, according to my FFL. These people aren't up to speed yet and are making stupid errors that are delaying some of the checks.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been delayed on every purchase since 1995.

Randy
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:15:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Soundex hit maybe there's a Randy X out there with the same month and year of birth that's a convicted felon or a convicted wife beater etc.... If you have a common name like John Smith there's alot of soundex hits.  Simply put your name is broken down to numbers A=1 B=2 C=3 and on and on.. If your name is the same numeric value as someone else it's going to throw a soundex.  The only way to clear this up is fingerprinting on every purchase and/or biometrics but that's a slippery slope IMO.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Starting a few years ago, I now get delayed on every check.  Usually takes 15-20 minutes.

Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
i called today, and they told me it had to do with my last name or birth date.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 4:10:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  I have been delayed everytime I have made a purchase.  I have a CCW, no criminal history, a very uncommon last name, and I am way over 21.  I was told the delays are due to my security clearances??
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have been delayed on every purchase since 1995.

Randy

Same here.

I have a common name, CCW and .mil security clearance.
Link Posted: 11/13/2008 8:48:10 PM EDT
[#11]
I have to wait everytime I buy. I also have my CCW permit and it always takes me any where from 5 min to 3 hours. I do know their are three people in my area same first and last name just middle name is differnt and our SS#. I also found out one is either a cop or works for the police force.

On a bright note the pawn shop takes me like 5 min out the door strange they are faster then gun shops.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:52:10 AM EDT
[#12]
I became a delayed within the past year. My name is not common, but there are probably several people with a slight variation of my first and last.  A few other things changed, including getting a clearance, but I don't think any of the changes caused the delay (The clearance thing has been stated elsewhere to be a non-factor). Probably some other guy with a similar name getting himself in trouble. Or maybe once you change something about yourself, they delay you to check you against yourself (the variants of you.) Mine takes hours now.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I became a delayed within the past year. My name is not common, but there are probably several people with a slight variation of my first and last.  A few other things changed, including getting a clearance, but I don't think any of the changes caused the delay (The clearance thing has been stated elsewhere to be a non-factor). Probably some other guy with a similar name getting himself in trouble. Or maybe once you change something about yourself, they delay you to check you against yourself (the variants of you.) Mine takes hours now.

The VA State Police folks who run the checks told me to my face that security clearances have no bearing on the checks.  

I asked them because the onset of my delays seemed to coincide with an upgrade in my security clearance.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#14]
instant approval, as in: dealer calls VSP, speaks my info to VSP operator, says thanks, and hangs up the phone. but i have CHP, uncommonish name, no blemmishes on my record, no security clearence, and i am a frequent call in from the same FFL...

however, i have not attempted any registered or transferrable purchases sine long prior to the post election madness...
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:20:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Yup - bought another handgun on Wednesday and was delayed over 2.5 hours - but I'm normally delayed 30 minutes or so anyway.  I have no criminal history, but I do have a CHP, an 03 FFL, .mil clearance (now inactive) and a fairly common name, so I imagine that there are plenty of database hits when I make a transaction.  

It's annoying as hell that even with a valid CHP and FFL I can't be flagged as "probably not a BG" somehow, but it's far less annoying than what I fear is coming down the pike.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 5:42:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VA State Police folks who run the checks told me to my face that security clearances have no bearing on the checks.  

I asked them because the onset of my delays seemed to coincide with an upgrade in my security clearance.

you know I'm beginning to wonder about this. i just recently (like in the last two months) got a TSA clearance, in order to get a hazmat endorsement on my CDL. and like i said, i have NEVER been delayed till now, and was wondering if it had anything to do with it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]
i watched a US postal worker get approved  via "instant" info, gtg, thanks, checkout, instant background check, about 3 hours prior to posting this. do they not have at least some level of security clearence?..
Link Posted: 11/14/2008 2:09:24 PM EDT
[#18]

I picked up a CZ last weekend and the background check completed w/in minutes.  I did pick it up on Sat around 18:30 though.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a stag 6.8 lower from Dominion Shooting(the range) like 2 weeks ago that I had been on order for over a month. Background check went right through. I think it surprised one of the other guys there who flat out said I would be delayed as a heads up(they said everyone was getting delayed). Was kinda surprised it went right through.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I've never had a delay, even with SBI type clearances.  Of course, I do use a pawnshop.
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#21]
On Saturday morning at the gun show my paperwork went right thru in about 20 minutes.   A good friend of mine went down on Tuesday to pick up a new toy and they told him to come back the next day.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:48:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
i watched a US postal worker get approved  via "instant" info, gtg, thanks, checkout, instant background check, about 3 hours prior to posting this. do they not have at least some level of security clearence?..

Lol for someone in the line of work that has so many people doing work shootings they have coined the name "going postal" something seems wrong about that.

I get delayed now from time to time. I think it has to do with some guy I heard about on the news several times in richmond with my same last name and similar age (probably hight, weight, with exception of ethnicity which may or may not go into initial check). Every time that dick neck acts up every few years I seem to get delayed. Also with the number of other databases and watch lists out now the false hits have more stuff to hit on.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 6:09:47 PM EDT
[#23]
I still haven't been delayed, but last time I bought anything at my favorite shop(A PSL about 2 weeks ago) there were 4 people waiting for approval
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 2:26:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Incidentally, I just today found out that my locality has a warrant out for a guy with my same last name.  His first name?  "Mike"

Mark

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top