Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/13/2006 12:36:51 PM EDT
I'm finally moving my residency from PA to VA. So I'm looking up all the stuff I have to do and find out I have to pay a yearly tax...

On my car...

....to Alexandria. Not to the state, to the CITY.

What the hell is this crap?

Link Posted: 10/13/2006 1:50:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Personal property tax, AKA the 'car tax'.
A percentage of the value of the vehicle set by the city/county.  The state eats a large percentage of the tax on the first $20,000 of value.

We also have a real estate tax on real property that is paid tice a year.  City/county also set the rate for all property in the municipality.
The cities can also collect income tax (I do think Alex has one yet) on top of the state income tax.
We do not have 'school taxes' though.  The real property tax covers that.

You did not think all the nice services cam for free did you?
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Just wait..

Until YOU have to prove to the Commonwealth that you did NOT RESIDE in the state for the entire FY 2006 and thus pay their "assesment" of income taxes for that year.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:30:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess this is why I refuse to get a VA DL. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I might want to set up residency here. Great state and all, but I refuse to pay any more taxes than I have to. On the minus side, I don't get to buy any handguns here. Oh, well, I guess that gives me an excuse to visit my buds in Florida.

BTW, hadn't said it already, but I'm active duty military. Unfortunately my orders place me in Washington, DC.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:35:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm finally moving my residency from PA to VA. So I'm looking up all the stuff I have to do and find out I have to pay a yearly tax...

On my car...

You want to know what is great?  Live in a town.  The town will hit you with taxes and then your county will too.  I pay $300 in taxes alone on my truck.  Add in $32 for my plates a year and $17 a year for inspection.
Fuckers
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:47:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Until YOU have to prove to the Commonwealth that you did NOT RESIDE in the state for the entire FY 2006 and thus pay their "assesment" of income taxes for that year.

That'll be easy. I paid out of state tuition for FY2006 to a state run institution.

VTHOKIESHOOTER: That's EVERY YEAR? Good god.

brickeyee: So far the services seem about the same as what I got in PA, at less cost.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

VTHOKIESHOOTER: That's EVERY YEAR? Good god.

yep
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

On my car...

You're coming from PA and you think that VA has messed up taxes?????  
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I guess this is why I refuse to get a VA DL. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I might want to set up residency here. Great state and all, but I refuse to pay any more taxes than I have to. On the minus side, I don't get to buy any handguns here. Oh, well, I guess that gives me an excuse to visit my buds in Florida.

BTW, hadn't said it already, but I'm active duty military. Unfortunately my orders place me in Washington, DC.

The orders being to DC really hoses you out of the ability to buy in VA as a resident.  I think you have a problem though, aren't you in violation of the three state rule?  I could be wrong, as it has been a long time since I investigated that at all.

shooter
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I was able to.  My orders said Bolling AFB but I had utility bills for my apartment in Alexandria.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Man, in PA my taxes were simple.

Oh, and I got my $20 PA carry permit in 15 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon. That's another thing I'm going to bitch about.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:38:09 PM EDT
[#11]
At least in VA you'll be able to pick up beer at the market
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh, and I got my $20 PA carry permit in 15 minutes on a Wednesday afternoon. That's another thing I'm going to bitch about.

What is simple about township taxes + city taxes + county taxes + state taxes = school taxes + ...
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is simple about township taxes + city taxes + county taxes + state taxes = school taxes + ...

Maybe it's 'cause I was a student and stuff, but I only recall paying township and state.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The orders being to DC really hoses you out of the ability to buy in VA as a resident.  I think you have a problem though, aren't you in violation of the three state rule?  I could be wrong, as it has been a long time since I investigated that at all.

shooter

What is this three state rule that you speak of? You mean I could potentially be in violation of the laws of I bought a handgun in my state of residence while I was on leave and came back afterwards?

No dice with my orders and utility bills for my apartment in VA. And my Florida license even has my VA address on it.

Really, how bad are the taxes here in Virginia? I'm curious.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 3:26:43 AM EDT
[#15]
You don't have to be a resident of Virginia to get a VA driver's license if you are acitve duty, resident of Florida, but living in VA because of the military.  I've been stationed at the Pentagon for years, living in Virginia, but been a resident of my home state of Ohio for many years.  Virginia will issue a driver's license and a resident concealed carry permit and you won't pay the "car tax" unless you tag/title your car in VA and have a dependent as a Virginia resident (remember dependents don't get excluded) also listed on the title.

The three state rule would go something like this: Driver's license in Virginia, resident of Florida, plates in Maryland.  As long as you maintain your title, plates and legal residence in Florida and simply get a Virginia driver's license (the state you are living in) then you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:52:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks, Rick. I wonder if the DMV is crowded on a Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

shooter

What is this three state rule that you speak of? You mean I could potentially be in violation of the laws of I bought a handgun in my state of residence while I was on leave and came back afterwards?

No dice with my orders and utility bills for my apartment in VA. And my Florida license even has my VA address on it.

Really, how bad are the taxes here in Virginia? I'm curious.

Who said that you couldn't buy a handgun?

When I worked at a gunstore, I checked with the VASP, and if you were AD to a duty station in the metro area, and could provide proof of living in VA, then you were good to go. All the dealer needs is a letter from your command, or a copy of your orders showing transfer of D/S along with your utility bills or rental agreement.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I'm AD as well, and my office is in DC.  However, for some reason my orders say Arlington, VA.  I thought this was true for all orders in this area....Not sure why mine say Arlington, but I guess it means I can buy handguns here with my PA driver's license.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#19]
height=8
Quoted:

Who said that you couldn't buy a handgun?

When I worked at a gunstore, I checked with the VASP, and if you were AD to a duty station in the metro area, and could provide proof of living in VA, then you were good to go. All the dealer needs is a letter from your command, or a copy of your orders showing transfer of D/S along with your utility bills or rental agreement.

Orders must be to VA (including Pentagon though they say DC). That is in the VA code. Federal law is looser, the example ATF gives is living in AL and working at Ft Benning GA. Under federal law you can buy in either state. Under VA law (which in my opinion is an oversight in need of correction) you must be stationed in VA. So you can be stationed at Bolling but living for years and years in VA, spending all of your disposable income there but without that DL you can't buy a handgun. But note that your DL is not necessarily the same as your domicile, the state you list as your permanent residence with the personnel squadron/company. Domicile is the state to which you intend to return after service and to whcih you pay income taxes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
See Glarus above but remember just because VA will issue you a driver's license does not change your "Home of Record" or "State of legal residence".

Home of record is where you joined the military (almost impossible to change and probably don't want to) and State of legal residence is where you intend to return to after military service.

The reason so many military members are residents of Florida is they were stationed there and changed their residence to Florida while there stating they intended to return upon completion on military service.  No state taxes is a great thing.

Remember you'll be on a 30 day hold after getting your VA driver's license.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 9:23:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So you can be stationed at Bolling but living for years and years in VA, spending all of your disposable income there but without that DL you can't buy a handgun.

It was back in '93, but I had no problem buying a handgun with orders that said Bolling.

Actually now that I think of it, I had orders that said Bolling and a CA drivers license with my Alexandria, VA address printed on it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 6:40:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

On my car...

What the hell is this crap? [:(!

Remember that big road you came down here on?  It's called 95, and if you look around you'll see three lanes right next to the ones you used to get to Virginia.  They run north, right back up to PA.  

No charge to use that big old road.  Check it out.

ETA: any road you can find that goes north.

Link Posted: 10/15/2006 8:38:39 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Remember that big road you came down here on?  It's called 95, and if you look around you'll see three lanes right next to the ones you used to get to Virginia.  They run north, right back up to PA.  

No charge to use that big old road.  Check it out.

The job market in my lines of work typically is better near DC. I go where the work is.

And I take 270 home.
Link Posted: 10/18/2006 10:58:10 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

You want to know what is great?  Live in a town.  The town will hit you with taxes and then your county will too.  I pay $300 in taxes alone on my truck.  Add in $32 for my plates a year and $17 a year for inspection.
Fuckers

Then again,if you own a crappy car and live in the country, you don't pay much at all. I pay only $34 per year for my pickup ($17 semi annually). I think it's about $80-90 for my primary car. I believe it was about the same when I lived in Cville.
$16 or so for inspection+ the usual tag/registration fees,but registration fees and inspection fees have been par for the course in every state I've lived in.
Now if anyone repeals the car tax reductions that were passed two administrations ago,we'll all be in a world of hurt. Something like 75% of the car tax is mitigated by those laws.
I'd bet that VTHOKIESHOOTER uses his vehicle for work use and is exempted from the car tax mitigation? Most folks don't get hit by that.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:37:25 PM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
wow, you too???  I think I'm going this route soon myself!  I just moved up here from Tallahassee.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:37:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Depending on you address and the roads you travel, failing to register vehicles, get a DL, etc. within 30 days of moving into the state can get you pinged.
County registration can be checked in Fairfax very quickly.
The police in some juridictions even troll parking lots looking for vehicles that are not registered with state tags, inspection, and county sticker (stickers are not required in Fairfax any more).
Falls Church City even sets up roadblocks to check registrations.

Guess you do not plan on voting either?
Or will you commit fraud by voting in a place you are no longer a resident?

Link Posted: 10/25/2006 9:02:25 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Or will you commit fraud by voting in a place you are no longer a resident?

I still pay PA taxes, and have a PA DL, so I could legally vote there just fine. Currently I just work in another state.

However, being from Northeast PA, I don't bother voting. Actually, knowing the area, I probably did vote already and just don't know about it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 3:29:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

wow, you too???  I think I'm going this route soon myself!  I just moved up here from Tallahassee.  

Yeah, thanks for reminding me. I need to go ahead and have a Glock 19 that I bought up here shipped down to an FFL down there. Welcome to VA, what brings you up this way?
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
"I still pay PA taxes, and have a PA DL, so I could legally vote there just fine. "

Unless you commute daily to PA you are a residfent of Virginia.
Taxes and DL are not the defining items.  The physical pplace you return to on a daily basis to live and sleep is your residence.
I do not know if VA has an agreement with PA (we have them with MD and DC) over taxes.  You pay taxes to the state you live in even if you work in another among the three (Va, Md, DC) but this is by special agreement.
Normally if you live in one state and work in another you pay taxes to the state you earn income in and file a non-resident tax return.  If you also have income/taxes in your home state there is a set aside for taxes already paid to another state.

By voting in a place you do not actively reside you are commiting fraud.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:25:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't confuse domicile with residence.  Each has significance.  They are not necessarily the same thing.  From a USCG publication:

A residence is that “place where you actually live.” (Black’s Law Dictionary. (7th ed., 1999).)  A home of record is the place where you entered active duty, and is strictly a military term to determine how far and how much the military will pay to ship your household goods when you leave active duty.  A domicile is “the place at which a person is physically present and that the person regards as home; a person’s true, fixed, principal, and permanent home, to which that person intends to return and remain even though currently residing elsewhere.”
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 12:45:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I do not know if VA has an agreement with PA (we have them with MD and DC) over taxes.  You pay taxes to the state you live in even if you work in another among the three (Va, Md, DC) but this is by special agreement.

They do.

I could probably also claim "student status" if I felt like it as well.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 5:23:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Voting eligability is based on residence, not domicile.
Check the state laws.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:25:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Spade, If it is the taxes that is going to bother you about moving to VA, you could just move to MD instead.

Oh, BTW, welcome to VA.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

On my car...

Welcome to VA the commonwealth were business and government like to rape the working man.

You should have stayed in PA man. I sort of wish I did.
I've been here 10 years and there is no sight of me leaving anytime soon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top