Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:58:07 AM EDT
There will be a pistol shoot in Fredericksburg this Sunday.

So far, there are 125 shooters signed up.  

I just received word that the round-count is 130 rounds.

So, that means:  125 pistol shooters each firing 130+ rounds = 16,250 rounds total.

The shoot is being run under USPSA rules; not sure who is going to show up, but I will be there & will try to take a few pictures.

CBR
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:23:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool, that should be about 20-30% of the amount of rounds sent downrange this Saturday at Hite Hollow.  

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:09:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Were in Fredericksburg is this event?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#3]
That's cool. Can you post a link or more info about the even for those who want to participate? Also, I look forward to an after action report and maybe some pictures.

Quoted:
Cool, that should be about 20-30% of the amount of rounds sent downrange this Saturday at Hite Hollow.  

rookie 421:  Please feel free to join us; here is a link to the directions:  

http://www.vamdsection.org/fbdirections.html

All spectators are welcome & all you need to do is show up with eye & ear protection (club is right next to a skeet/trap field).  

Shooters need to sign up ahead of time: info is available here: www.vamdsection.org For info on the sport and how best to get started as a shooter, check out these two sites: www.uspsa.com and also www.brianenos.com

See you Sunday
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

When I arrived at Hite Hollow, not much brass on the ground... When I left, it was like a carpet...

I hope you guys have a great shoot!

Rmpl
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
2 things: 1) Hite Hollow video and 2) Fredericksburg report

1)  Forum member Rumplestiltskin has made two very cool videos of the Hite Hollow shoot last weekend; one is a free online preview and the other is for sale on DVD; details and the preview are on this link:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=24&t=228497

It looks like the event was a combination semi-auto "black rifle" shoot and a class 3 range day. It appears it was a safe and well run shoot, though from the video it did not appear to have a structure to it. It looks like everyone had a great time & I think the next event will be even bigger (only a guess).

2) Fredericksburg was one heck of a challenge for me. There were no "unmakable shots" at all. Making all the shots in a hurry & without mistakes proved to be the difficult part.   It was a long day - from about 09:30 to around 2:30; big squads & I squadded with most of my friends - all but one of us being below Master class.  Scores are up at www.uspsa.com under the section "Members" (to view scores, simply join USPSA & then log on).  I partucularly screwed up the assault courses (or field courses/long courses as we are supposed to call them these days). They were set up as head game stages more than just shooting challenges. I ended up well down in the scores due to these stages. I did better on the classifiers which are more straight forward shooting challenges.

Of the notable shooters there, I spoke briefly with Simon who taught a recent carbin/pistol shooting class in the area; on the game stages he scored much better than me; on the classifiers, I beat him on two and he got me on two, though we were close on all 4 classifer stages. I'd like to take a class on gaming out stages as its clear that its my weakness. I know that he shot on a squad with top notch Production guys including a Grand Master ranked member of a local SERT/SWAT team - and having that sort of experience around can really help out with gaming strategy. There were also many other LEOs, a number of juniors, some women shooters, spectators, some first time shooters, members of our armed forces, and some employees you all might know from local gunshops.   Unfortunately, I did not take any photos, but I'll try again next month.   Hope that everyone interested will come out & join us next month.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#6]
OK I gotta start shooting with you guys. What type of equipment to start?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:07:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Equipment rules are simple:

-Any handgun of at least 9mm,  .38 special, or above

-any serviceable, strong-side holster that covers the triggergaurd; "tie down" or thigh rigs are supposed to be limited to current LEOs or active duty military only - though virtually all local club matches will let you slide on that for the first match.  Among the best hoslters out there are standard Kydex and you can use an Uncle Mikes, a Fobus, or most all IWB holsters. If you have a CCW holster that is a belt/paddle strong side, then its OK for the match.  

-belt magazine carriers of almost any type

-min of about 3 magazines though you will want at least 4.  One in the gun and 3 on the belt works almost everywhere.

-3 boxes of ammo or less (150 rounds).

WHAT ABOUT RACE GUNS??:  A glock 17 is a race gun. So is a Sig 228 or 226. Due to rule changes, "stock guns" or Production guns ONLY compete with other production guns.   I don't pay any attention to those guys with foo-foo electronic dot/ Aim Point sighted  .38 Supers - they are not my competition. The guy with the Beretta 92? HE is the competition.  I shoot a regular CZ or a Glock 17 and everyone is limited to 10 rounds per mag so all Production guns are on equal footing.

1911 owners? Good news - there is a special class just for you: Single Stack.  Max 8 round mags, .45 only, no bull barrels or weighted frames (Sorry TRP Operator owners - you have to shoot in L-10 Division; but only against similar guns). But if you have a standard 1911, then you only shoot with other regular 1911 guys.  Fair & level playing field.

Here is the match schedule (updated every month):  

www.vamdsection.org

I run the match held once a month on a Wednesday night at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge (www.shootersparadise.com); due to time constraints, everyone shoots all 4 stages of the match in a one-hour times slot (slots are on the hour from 3 PM to 8 PM). Just sign up ahead of time (see our website) then show up a little early to the front counter and let them know you are shooting the match for 1st time & they will get you squared away.

All are welcome & hope to see you at the next match.

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Equipment rules are simple:

-Any handgun of at least 9mm,  .38 special, or above

-any serviceable, strong-side holster that covers the triggergaurd; "tie down" or thigh rigs are supposed to be limited to current LEOs or active duty military only - though virtually all local club matches will let you slide on that for the first match.  Among the best hoslters out there are standard Kydex and you can use an Uncle Mikes, a Fobus, or most all IWB holsters. If you have a CCW holster that is a belt/paddle strong side, then its OK for the match.  

-belt magazine carriers of almost any type

-min of about 3 magazines though you will want at least 4.  One in the gun and 3 on the belt works almost everywhere.

-3 boxes of ammo or less (150 rounds).
D.C. Johnson

A couple of more questions if I could. Does the holster have to be concealed for the match?

You said the shoot in Fred-vegas was under USPSA rules, I thought that was more IPSC style. Were you shooting the match with IDPA type equipment?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Dport wrote:

"A couple of more questions if I could. Does the holster have to be concealed for the match?
You said the shoot in Fred-vegas was under USPSA rules, I thought that was more IPSC style. Were you shooting the match with IDPA type equipment?"

More than willing to field questions; keep em' coming:

USPSA and IPSC are generally the same sport with slightly different rules, and in the USA it  is called "USPSA" - even though we were the ones who invented IPSC around 1976.

Why the different names? When IPSC went international, it was forced to become "politically correct" by countries like Italy which bans any sort of military or police training by civilains. Thus, they can't use tagets with "heads" or shoot through door ways, windows, etc.  Here in the USA, we kept the familiar torso shaped targets - head and all - and simply formed USPSA. Now, the US version (USPSA) is closer to Jeff Cooper's original "Combat Shooting Competition" than the international sport of IPSC (which exists only outside the USA).

Concealment:

-it is not required by USPSA. It is allowed if you want to use it.

-it is required by the similar sport of IDPA.  Back when USPSA became too specialized in the mid 1990s, a group of shooters split from USPSA and formed IDPA to focus on concealled carry and the use of non-race guns. All IDPA guns have to be non-ported, no compensators, no dot sights, under a certain weight, no race holsters, and no more than 10 rounds in a magazine no matter what its capacity. All targets have to be close and can only be engaged in a certain order (usually called "tactical priority") magazines have to be retained if they contain ammunition.  There are other rules as well, but bottom line is: its similar to USPSA though there is only one way to shoot a given stage in IDPA.  After IDPA was formed, USPSA created separate classes for stock guns and they are now the majority of handguns used in USPSA (relatively few shooters use specialized "race guns").

I shoot and support both IDPA and USPSA. They are very similar.  A stock semi-auto 9mm or 1911 is very competitive in either sport.

The central calendar for USPSA events in the area is:

www.vamdsection.org  

I am not aware of an IDPA calendar for VA.

However, there is an IDPA at my home club, Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge tonight (Wed). and I'll be shooting at 8 PM (using my actual CCW .40 from a CCW holster); its a little late to sign up but people who want to shoot should send an e-mail and request a slot  by following the info at www.shootersparadise.com under "forum" and "IDPA at Shooters" ; I think there were some 8 PM slots open.

Anyone is welcome to come by & watch, ask questions, check out the match tonight; just look for the guy with the clipboard & we'll assign someone to answer questions, explain the action, etc.

The next Fredericksburg USPSA will be held one month from last Sunday; sign up by following www.vamdsection.org

Keep the questions coming & see you at the range,

CBR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top