Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:28:12 AM EDT
when i lived in ohio i always had a few people i could find to go shooting with me even if they were using my guns and ammo.  but since i have returned to nova i have only gone shooting with others twice and both of those times were more than a year ago.  i just can't find anybody who wants to go shooting in the middle of a weekday.  oh yeah i work nights and i rarely get a weekend off.  i usually end up going to blue ridge arsenal just because it is closer to where i spend most of my life now in manassas.  i am probably going to give the nra range a whirl later today.  i just wish i could find someone to go with as shooting is just more fun with others.  and my gf keeps saying she wants to take a class before she shoots but when i mention it she talks about spending the money on other stuff.  i just need more friends who are casual shooters (and have flexible schedules).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, I'd love to help you out, but I can't.  I can recommend you check out www.iwla.us.  It's the homepage for the Alexandria chapter of the IWLA.  We have an outdoor range in north Stafford that is pretty nice.  It's a bit squishy when the ground is wet, but it's nothing major.  It's not that expensive and during the middle of the week you probably wouldn't find another soul at the place.  Your girlfriend may feel more comfortable there where there isn't a crowd.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#2]
You could have replied to HardRock and Bubbles when they were desperately looking for friends to help get a pro 2nd amendment guy elected to the Senate.  Their effort was in Sterling right over near your BlueRidge Arsenal.   Don't worry there'll be other such opportunities to make friends.  PS are you a member of the VCDL??
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:46:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll help you, show up at Hite Hollow on Saturday April 1st (no it's not an April Fools joke).  I'm sure you will hook up with some NOVA people that can get you slingin' more lead again.

See April 1st Hite Hollow Shoot

Steve
Hallmark Small Arms
804-986-7409
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
well the gf really wants to take the class because she doesn't think that i can keep her from shooting herself in the foot.  and to think i have only gotten hit by a bullet once at an outdoor range and it came back off the hill with all of the force of a pebbled dropped from shoulder height.  

no i am not a member of anything in the way of gun clubs or any organization with political agendas.  and as far as the politics goes my votes go towards education before firearms--mom is a teacher and that is just the way i am.  

and i really don't want to drive down to stafford if i can avoid it.  if hite hollow is more than 90 minutes away it just loses its appeal very quickly.  and not to insult anybody but i know what happens when a large group of people is at an outdoor range--they tend to get stupid.  i know how safe i am, but i don't know how safe you are.  i have just had a couple of bad experiences at ranges while there were groups at them and i had to leave and call the cops on them due to very unsafe practices.  oh and i don't want you all to see how badly i shoot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Have her take a class with Ed Battles at Blue Ridge. He is a really good instructor, not a HSLD kind of guy, but very good at teaching. Almost all of the women who take classes from him take more than one.

They also have a Beginner Shooter class that is limited to 10 people, and she might be more comfortable doing that. It's a 4 hour course, with the first 3 being classroom work, an the last hour is on the range, but they use several types of guns, and she doesn't have to shoot them all.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:33:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Bring your GF to the Hite Hollow shoot, my wife as well as several female shooters will be there.  My wife would love to spend some range time with your GF and show her how to safetly handle and shoot a handgun/rifle.  The woman to woman thing seems to work better for new shooters.

The Hite Hollow shoot is a great oppurtunity for you to "network" with other shooters and I think you and your girlfriend would have a blast.

Somebody should have some pictures of past events and could probably post some pictures.

Steve.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I brought my friend's girlfriend to the last Hite Hollow shoot.  She had never fired anything bigger than .22 before so that's what I started her on.  When she got more proficient I moved her up to .40 S&W.  First shot hit paper, the next two were about 5 feet short and in the dirt.  She was trying to compensate for the recoil.  Once I got that straightened out, she was back on paper and doing quite well.  She loved my .45's.  I "laughingly" said that she outshot our friend who is a Fairfax County sheriff's deputy.  Problem was, I compared her targets to his, and she sure as hell did outshoot him.  MJD
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Join the Arlington/Fairfax Chapter of the Izaak Walton League of America.  We have a 100 yard range in Fairfax County on Mount Olive Road off of Route 28.  There are always a few members there on weekdays to shoot with and most are very friendly.  There is waiting list, but usually about 6 months for openings to appear.  www.arlingtonfairfax-iwla.org
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I shoot mid week all the time due to work schedule. PM me if you want to go.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a pretty flexible schedule as well, and only live about 20 minutes from BRA.  Shoot me a PM if you're going, I'll try to meet you out there.  I'll have a couple of new 1911's to shoot next week!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought I was readin about myself..... (I'm an ol' Ohio boy myself)... shoot me an email - I work a crazy schedule too and shoot alone all the time.  At least two times a week.  I'm in the Manassas area too.  And don't worry, I'll probably make your shootin look great.  

To all the others that replied -  mind if I join in with aaronrb204?  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]
the more the merrier far as i figure.  looks like since my boss hates me, the only day i have off next week is tuesday so it will have to wait another week.  hmm maybe if i buy something at the show this weekend he will give me another day when i can go.  i will drop y'all a line when i am going next.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:41:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
the more the merrier far as i figure.  ........
i will drop y'all a line when i am going next.

See you then....

Quoted:

I hope all of you come out to our next shoot.

Thanks for the invite.....

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#15]
PM sent
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#16]
If you go to any of the shoots, or dinners, watch out for L_R_T...he likes young guys!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top