Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2006 5:58:24 AM EDT
Just another item to piss you off about the HOODLUMS that call Virginia home...

A local gun shop here in Charlottesville had a break in last Thursday at around 4am... It was a smash-n-grab and they bashed in the case that had all the semi-auto handguns. They left untouched all the rifles (some AR's) and the other case that had the truly VALUABLE handguns (antique and/or collectable revolvers). They didn't even grab AMMO for the handguns they stole. I guess you can make pretty accurate assumptions on who did this crime... MS-13 maybe? or wannabe's...

No matter how laid back a town is... you have vermin.

Rmpl

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:09:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Just another item to piss you off about the HOODLUMS that call Virginia home...

A local gun shop here in Charlottesville had a break in last Thursday at around 4am... It was a smash-n-grab and they bashed in the case that had all the semi-auto handguns. They left untouched all the rifles (some AR's) and the other case that had the truly VALUABLE handguns (antique and/or collectable revolvers). They didn't even grab AMMO for the handguns they stole. I guess you can make pretty accurate assumptions on who did this crime... MS-13 maybe? or wannabe's...

No matter how laid back a town is... you have vermin.

Rmpl

Has there been any MS13 activity there yet?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:09:31 AM EDT
[#2]
ain't that out in hunt country? that's rich white folk country, ain't it?

i thought it was "single action" handguns...i was gonna recommend looking out for a cowboy shooting club springing up overnight...
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:55:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thats okay... theres a special little place in federal prison for anyone found with those guns, so...

By The way, where is there a decent (read: not DICKS) gun shop up in C-ville, i'll be up that way on friday and need somewhere to kick around before i attend to some business...

Thanks!

-- O. Jeremy Miles
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:24:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thats okay... theres a special little place in federal prison for anyone found with those guns, so...

By The way, where is there a decent (read: not DICKS) gun shop up in C-ville, i'll be up that way on friday and need somewhere to kick around before i attend to some business...

Thanks!

-- O. Jeremy Miles

Woodbridge on 29 North-I'm guessing that was the shop that got ganked?

You didn't mention the DDs they got!  I didn't even know they MADE a man-portable 5 inch gun.

Police in Albemarle County are trying to figure out who robbed an Albemarle County sporting goods store, stealing 13 guns.

The guns were taken from the Mountain River Outdoors Shop on Seminole Trail Road Thursday morning, and one day later, the missing semi-automatic guns are still in the hands of someone who could be putting the public at risk.

The robbery happened inside the Mountain River Outdoors Store in the 1300 block of Seminole Trail Road around 4:00 a.m. While most were sleeping at the time, the shop owner was awake and running to the gun shop, thanks to a call from his alarm company telling him his store had been robbed. It took Ross Tierney twelve minutes to get to the store, but only seconds for police.

"It took police, from the time they got the call, it took them about 45 seconds," said Ross Tierney.

Still, while no one was there to see, someone cracked open a gun case and took off with 14 guns in just 4 minutes; but not before leaving a trail.

"I know that there was at least two. We have two different shoe prints, tennis shoe and boot prints, that were on the cases," said Tierney.

The missing guns are small, but semi-automatic. Most are 9 mm calibers, 38 mm specials, and 145 mm. In the hands of criminals, like the ones who stole from this gun shop, they can be dangerous.

"We certainly don't want people that are robbing to be armed, and that's unfortunately what is happening, so it's definitely a situation we didn't want to have," added Ross.

While Tierney has a security system, it did not prevent the robbers from breaking in. They were able to break-in through a steel door which leads him to believe his store was cased.

"For them to knock down the door, go directly to the gun department, and leave [in] under four minutes--I would say they would have had to case the place," said Tierney.

Ross Tierney's store had been robbed once before almost eight years ago, and those robbers were caught. This time, he hopes a reward of $6,000 set by the Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms force will help catch these crooks.

Please call Crimestoppers at (434) 977-4000 with any information
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:49:23 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

-- O. Jeremy Miles

The only independent FFL shops I know of in Cville:
Woodbridge on 29N as mentioned
Mountain River also on 29N
Dixie Gun & Pawn on 29 South (handguns are not on display there,but rifles and shotguns are)

I've never seen any good deals at any of them,so I seldom patronize their businesses. The employees at all three are nice enough.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:50:37 AM EDT
[#6]
You mean Woodbrook?

Danny
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:45:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The guns were taken from the Mountain River Outdoors Shop on Seminole Trail Road Thursday morning, and one day later, the missing semi-automatic guns are still in the hands of someone who could be putting the public at risk.

I remember that place. IIRC, it gets robbed every few years, right on schedule. The last one I remember before leaving the area, the thieves pulled the bars off of the doors, ripped open the front door, smashed the first few cases and made off with their loot before the police could respond. They keep the really valuable stuff at the back of the store since the bad guys won't stick around long enough to go back there and get it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You mean Woodbrook?

Danny

I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:26:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I remember that place. IIRC, it gets robbed every few years, right on schedule. The last one I remember before leaving the area, the thieves pulled the bars off of the doors, ripped open the front door, smashed the first few cases and made off with their loot before the police could respond. They keep the really valuable stuff at the back of the store since the bad guys won't stick around long enough to go back there and get it.

All their guns are in the back area...

They kicked over the counter that held the valuable revolvers... nicking and dinging many of them. They then had to break through the special plastic-coated thick glass where the semi-auto's were. It looks like they tried to make two holes but could only get one side busted through and swept the guns through the hole leaving some on the far end where they couldn't reach.

It is too bad, MR is owned by a nice, helpful guy and the staff is always friendly.

As for C'ville gun shops:
Mountain River, the place that was burglarized, is a nice good'ol boy shop that mainly caters to the hunters and fisherman. They have the best "retail" prices in town if they have what you are looking for. I bought my XD long-slide from them. But I try to never pay RETAIL... They also offer $25 FFL transfers for regular customers, $35 if you are new off the street.

Woodbrook charges, last time I asked, $75 for an FFL receive. It may be higher now...
Their firearms are also way OVERPRICED and mainly geared to hunters. Handgun selection is OK but expensive. Needless to say, I don't buy or sell guns there, but they do have very fair deals on POWDER and PRIMERS, as well as some reloading stuff. It saves the HAZMAT fee...

The cheapest "generic" firearms are at Dick's (during a sale) and Walmart.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 2:29:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I never have heard of (or seen) Mountain River.

I can get your transfers done near here for $12 if you ever need it.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

All their guns are in the back area...

They kicked over the counter that held the valuable revolvers... nicking and dinging many of them. They then had to break through the special plastic-coated thick glass where the semi-auto's were. It looks like they tried to make two holes but could only get one side busted through and swept the guns through the hole leaving some on the far end where they couldn't reach.

It is too bad, MR is owned by a nice, helpful guy and the staff is always friendly.

As for C'ville gun shops:
Mountain River, the place that was burglarized, is a nice good'ol boy shop that mainly caters to the hunters and fisherman. They have the best "retail" prices in town if they have what you are looking for. I bought my XD long-slide from them. But I try to never pay RETAIL... They also offer $25 FFL transfers for regular customers, $35 if you are new off the street.

Woodbrook charges, last time I asked, $75 for an FFL receive. It may be higher now...
Their firearms are also way OVERPRICED and mainly geared to hunters. Handgun selection is OK but expensive. Needless to say, I don't buy or sell guns there, but they do have very fair deals on POWDER and PRIMERS, as well as some reloading stuff. It saves the HAZMAT fee...

Rmpl

IIRC it is illegal to charge more than $25 for a title 1 transfer and $35 for title II firearms
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:54:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Woodbrook charges 25 + 2 transfer fee as of 2 months ago when I had them transfer a rifle for me...they are just unreliable.  I've had 2 guns on consignment there, and each time they didnt call me when the guns sold, just held my money until I came in looking for the guns.  First time I gave them the benefit of the doubt, 2nd time...

For what its worth, they are really nice people.  Very helpful when your in the store.

Mountain river is the one on 29 near Toys r Us, behind Flaming Wok right?

Wheres dixie pawn?

Rmpl

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:14:05 AM EDT
[#13]
 I have known Kenny Hale (the owner of Woodbrook) since I was 5 (my dad used to hunt with him).  Good guy though a little over priced though he is just trying to make a buck to stay in business.
Never heard of Mountain River.  I lived in Charlottsville for 19 years, it must be some obscure hole-in-the-wall.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:30:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Yeah, MR is just south of Toys-R-Us on the east side of US29 BEHIND FLAMING WOK chinese restaurant.

Lots of fishing stuff and a boat dealer, firearms variety is not the best and is geareed to hunters. Limited choice of firearm accessories as well. He does a lot of archery stuff.

As for Woodbrook, what recently pissed me off was my foolish attempt to TRADE a firearm for a firearm with them. They had a used Steyr Pro Hunter there tagged $550. I brought in a trade EASILY worth $200 more than that Steyr tagged price and with a much higher probability of sale than the Steyr. That Steyr has been sitting there for almost a YEAR! Old guy with a grey beard looked up my trade in the Blue Book and sure enough showed my trade as over $200 greater value. I said I wanted to do an even trade... he looked at me funny and said he couldn't do it.

I told him that he bought that Steyr for LESS than the $550 price tag and mine would be tagged and sold much faster for atleast $200 more than the Steyr. That would give them about $300 OR MORE PROFIT on the trade and get rid of a rifle collecting dust for almost a year. What he said next was what PISSED ME OFF and reminded me why I NEVER use a local gun shop for selling or buying...

I told him, "I have a $800 rifle and you have a $550 rifle and you won't trade even?" He told me, and I quote, "Yeah, but that is not my TRADE PRICE..." I then and there swore I would never buy or sell a gun at Woodbrook from that point on... This insult was topped on the $75 price they told me almost 8 months ago to receive an AR I had bought here on ARFCOM.

As for $25 being the legal limit for FFL transfers... I'd love to see that law as Woodbrook was far above that amount... and while I was in there the lady was complaining to a regular customer (she obviously knew him) about a guy who got pissed off about them receiving a firearm for him that he had bought wholesale online. She said something about, "it is my FFL,,, and if you don't want to buy here but buy wholesale... etc..."

If it is $25 by law, will Woodbrook refuse to receive a firearm at that price? I'm sure they can refuse to recieve, so a law that mandates $25 is moot if they say, "There's the door..."

Sorry for the rant...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I just called Woodbrook and talked to Wayne. I told him I have an AR15 I bought from an out-of-state dealer and wanted them to receive it so I could pick it up. I asked how much do they charge?

Wayne said," uhhh, I think it's $40." I then said Thank-you and hung up...

So, it is now less than the $75 of eight months ago but nowhere near $25 + $2 either...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:36:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Huh, I got a transfer thru Woodbrook over the summer and it was $25 + 2.  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:27:46 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IIRC it is illegal to charge more than $25 for a title 1 transfer and $35 for title II firearms

Says who?

A transfer is a service, and as such, subject to a service charge, which the state cannot regulate.

That would be like the state sayinga a plumber can only charge you $25 to unclog your drain, or fix a leaky faucet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Wheres dixie pawn?

Yup

Dixie Pawn is in rear on the lower level of that tiny brick plaza on the northwest corner of the Rio/29 Intersection. It's behind the pizza hut on 29 South. It's a real tiny place.

You mean Woodbrook?

Danny

Shows how often I go there. I think I've been to that 7 Eleven more often than I've been to Woodbrook. I buy my guns at the shows from the soup nazi FFLs and other nefarious characters that show up there. Local stuff is too pricey.

Where are you getting good transfer prices, Danny? I went on an FFL hunt for low transfer fees awhile back after getting turned down by Dixie Pawn (they don't do transfers) and Woodbrook who does them for crazy prices as mentioned. I did a transfer of firearms with Woodbrook a few years back. They'll give lower rates if you're selling guns to someone else out of state,but they don't like the "Shotgun News" buyers like most of us are.
I don't recall ever asking at Mountain River. I'll have to check there once they're in better shape.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:21:18 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Are you a regular there? Maybe the $25 + 2 is for known customers?

I only buy powder and primers there, and that not too often.

Rmpl
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:55:59 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Where are you getting good transfer prices, Danny?

Sending you an IM with that info.

Danny
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Rmplstlskn-
      I just did a transfer with a guy out of lousia about a week ago.  Its a slightly longer drive then to woodbrook, but honestly it was worth it.  The owner of the store was nice and polite, and it was $20+2.  The stores called Cartersfield Supply or something along those lines, and they are listed on gunbroker.  

On the subject of Woodbrook, its my honest opinion that they really dont WANT to do transfers.  As far as the people who work there, the old bearded guy has by far given me the best service of all of them.  I came in there a couple months ago with a gun with a stuck cartridge in the barrel, expecting to have to pay their smith to get it out, and the grey beard guy just took it in the back, hammered it out and came back and gave me some advice about a bur in the chamber that was causing stuck cartridges. I really appreciated that.  I also called them yesterday to price out 100% AK receivers to compare to prices this weekend at the Richmond show, and for 100% Eubanks receivers from DPH they wanted $60+shipping.  

I've had 2 negative experiences with them, and 2 positive ones.  I'm still undecided.

Quoted:

As for Woodbrook, what recently pissed me off was my foolish attempt to TRADE a firearm for a firearm with them. They had a used Steyr Pro Hunter there tagged $550. I brought in a trade EASILY worth $200 more than that Steyr tagged price and with a much higher probability of sale than the Steyr. That Steyr has been sitting there for almost a YEAR! Old guy with a grey beard looked up my trade in the Blue Book and sure enough showed my trade as over $200 greater value. I said I wanted to do an even trade... he looked at me funny and said he couldn't do it.

I told him that he bought that Steyr for LESS than the $550 price tag and mine would be tagged and sold much faster for atleast $200 more than the Steyr. That would give them about $300 OR MORE PROFIT on the trade and get rid of a rifle collecting dust for almost a year. What he said next was what PISSED ME OFF and reminded me why I NEVER use a local gun shop for selling or buying...

I told him, "I have a $800 rifle and you have a $550 rifle and you won't trade even?" He told me, and I quote, "Yeah, but that is not my TRADE PRICE..." I then and there swore I would never buy or sell a gun at Woodbrook from that point on... This insult was topped on the $75 price they told me almost 8 months ago to receive an AR I had bought here on ARFCOM.

As for $25 being the legal limit for FFL transfers... I'd love to see that law as Woodbrook was far above that amount... and while I was in there the lady was complaining to a regular customer (she obviously knew him) about a guy who got pissed off about them receiving a firearm for him that he had bought wholesale online. She said something about, "it is my FFL,,, and if you don't want to buy here but buy wholesale... etc..."

If it is $25 by law, will Woodbrook refuse to receive a firearm at that price? I'm sure they can refuse to recieve, so a law that mandates $25 is moot if they say, "There's the door..."

Sorry for the rant...

Rmpl

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#22]

I don't recall ever asking at Mountain River. I'll have to check there once they're in better shape

Mt. River offered to transfer an AK for me for 35 last month
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you a regular there? Maybe the $25 + 2 is for known customers?

I only buy powder and primers there, and that not too often.

Rmpl

Nope, I haven't been in there more than a half-dozen times in the four years I've lived in c-ville.  I dunno, maybe I just got lucky, but I bought an AK thru the EE and they did the transfer pretty as you please.
Top Top