Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 11:47:01 AM EDT

Hi All,

Sorry for any of you getting duplicate notices on this.  This is an IMPORTANT ISSUE for CAVRPC and for shooting rights in general.

For those less aware of the situation, Cavalier Rifle & Pistol Club (CAVRPC), the gracious host of Ladies’ Day at the Range, has come under fire from a few very vocal anti-gun neighbors.  These people have been hounding the Board of Supervisors (BOS), trying to get the range shut down.  In the process, a slight zoning discrepancy was discovered, which is in the process of being rectified.  As part of that process the BOS is holding a town meeting at the local elementary school to discuss the proposed rezoning.  Opponents of the range have run ads to try to rally other anti-gun folks to come to the meeting and speak out against the proposed rezoning.

What you can do:  please come to the meeting in support of the range, especially if you live in Hanover County.  Even if you live elsewhere, you may come and show your support, especially if you participate in events at the range.  See below for more details.

CAVRPC has been a good member of the community for many years.  The range has provided many valuable community services and supports programs like 4-H, Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Ladies’ Day and many other activities.  Please come and let the BOS see just how many people this decision will affect.

Thank you for your support,

Pat Webb

Please join the Board of Directors and friends and neighbors of Cavalier at the town meeting to be hosted by our Hanover County South
Anna district Supervisor John Gordon.  The meeting will be held at South Anna Elementary School in Montpelier, at 7:00 PM on Wednesday the 21st of September.

This meeting was originally intended to be an informal event designed to inform the community of what the county is doing concerning the complaints against Cavalier.  The county’s desire was to explain where the process will go from here, and the time frame for the rezoning.  

The anti-Cavalier forces, however, have hijacked the meeting and bought advertising space to promote our meeting as a regional anti-gun public forum.

We must counter their efforts by making certain that we have a huge turnout to demonstrate to our County officials and the news media that Cavalier is recognized as a regional asset and a good neighbor.

A few housekeeping details are in order please.  

The meeting is in an elementary school where Virginia law prohibits the carrying of firearms on school property.
Appropriate dress would be what you would wear to a PTA meeting.
Hanover residents who are Cavalier members should be among the first to speak.
Public Officials attending must be treated with the utmost respect, as should everyone in attendance.  Our enemies are expected to behave badly; let them. We will be polite and to the point.
We need to fill up the seats prior to 6:30 p.m., starting with the front row.

We must have a huge turnout at this meeting.  

Directions:
From Richmond take Rt 33, Staples Mill Road, past the South Anna River.  Turn left onto the second state road west of the South Anna River onto Walton Tavern Rd.  Go approx. 3 miles and turn into the South Anna Elementary School at 13122 Walton Tavern Road.

Coming from Montpelier on Rt. 33 take a right on Walton Tavern Rd.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:26:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks a mil Persephone!

Cavalier has been the happy home for some of the best action-shooting competition in central VA. Many VA-hometown arcomers know it through our running thread (see here). Although there are other IDPA venues around the area, Cavalier was the first -- and until just recently the only -- to include regularly and frequently scheduled long-gun events, tirelessly hosted by our very own and esteemed AK-board moderator Templar.

So for those of us here afflicted with the deadly BRD, Cavalier has been an especially cherished treasure as a place to bring your "real" gun against the timer among like-minded folk.

For us to succeed at this meeting, we need bodies, bodies, bodies. Please consider attending if at all possible. At stake is nothing less than the future of a major action venue for AR's, AK's, FAL's, M1A's, SKS's, M1Gerand's, etc. (hope I didn't leave anyone out).

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:38:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Is there somewhere to find some background info on this?  Were the original complaints ostensibly about noise?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:58:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is there somewhere to find some background info on this?  Were the original complaints ostensibly about noise?

I'll start by stating that I am a Cavalier member but I am NOT a club officer.  I know a good deal about what's happening, and it's way more complex than I could really type into a post here.  The following is a brief rundown of the situation, but should be viewed as my educated opinion, not an official club statement.

The complaints by a few of our neighbors - at least the complaint that they are making public - are indeed about noise.  For my part it is exceedingly hard to believe that someone 2 miles away "can't hear themselves talk outside in the yard" while others who live much, much, MUCH closer "can't hear a thing".  I guess it depends on whether you grew up in the suburbs or in the country to some degree.  Regardless, the trouble we find ourselves in as a club isn't really because of any perceived "noise problem", it's because we - in the view of the county, anyway - violated our original operating permit by building multiple rangeS as opposed "A range" as our original permit apparently stated.  Of course - you could argue for days about the definition of "a range".  Then there is the fact that we built ranges over the years on or extending onto club-owned adjoining land that was not part of the original permit.  These otherwise minor zoning/operating violations, of course, could have been easily corrected if those against us hadn't become involved, but instead those violations have given those opposed to the club's continued existence some traction with the county.   And now they seem to want to turn it into a full anti-gun circus.

I'm not going to start on the rumors about how the county found out about the infractions to begin with - you folks are certainly bright enough to figure out how that could have happened.    

As a Cavalier member, I'd love to see a big showing of support at this meeting.  I hope, however, that any ARFCOMmers - Cavalier member or not - that come to the meeting let our opponents show their asses, not the other way around.  We are the righteous, the reasonable party in this and I'd hate to see anyone give the county or our opponents any reason to think otherwise.  They wanted a circus - let them be the clowns.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:45:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:50:24 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

The complaints by a few of our neighbors - at least the complaint that they are making public - are indeed about noise.  For my part it is exceedingly hard to believe that someone 2 miles away "can't hear themselves talk outside in the yard" while others who live much, much, MUCH closer "can't hear a thing".  I guess it depends on whether you grew up in the suburbs or in the country to some degree.  

Let me guess - these folks who are complaining just sold their overinflated townhouses in NOVA to come to the country, and are now shocked that people actually own, let alone shoot, guns.

Here's is my learned opinion as a lawyer: FUCK. THEM.

They came to the nuisance. The range, whether in violation of its zoning or not, was there before they showed up in their minivan. They knew about it or should have known about it.

If they want to split hairs about range vs. ranges, and they win, then fine. Build one enormous range, open it up to everything short of B2 bombers, and run it 24/7/365. Go out there on your one permitted range and run as much noise as you can at 3 a.m. on Christmas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:30:44 PM EDT
[#7]

We get assclowns like this that attack RRPC from time to time as well. I wish you Cavalier guys and gals luck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:28:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Things I learned about at tonights meeting discussing the process ...

Todays rifles can shoot grenades

Guys who are gun owners but who have 18 month old girls can become afraid of bullets ,especially .50 with a range of 5 miles.  But not enough to move.

Special permitted use on farmland should not harm the land

Folks can really be jealous of the property taxes that ranges pay.  And don't pay.

That the experts called to give opinions will be unbiased.  This is a relief,  to know that they exist because in all of my dealings with folks that should be unbiased (cops, scientists, etc) I know exactly 0 of them (not counting myself).

The definition of "rifle" has changed over the years and doesn't mean what it meant 40 years ago.  Also, most of these non rifle rifles have likely been obtained illegally up and down the eastern seaboard states.  I'd guess given the sources info that they came from the so called gun shows loopholes

As noise and bullets travel a long way, a 5 mile affected area should be contacted and made known of the upcoming meetings.  In fact, this would be so easy to do one of the attendees was going to go home and do it in 5 minutes.  I guess the public notification wasn't enough.

OK,  that's enough,  this isn't helping me calm down afterall.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
.50 with a range of 5 miles

Cool.  5 miles.  How do I go about getting me one of those?

As noise and bullets travel a long way, a 5 mile affected area should be contacted and made known of the upcoming meetings. In fact, this would be so easy to do one of the attendees was going to go home and do it in 5 minutes.

Let's see.  If a bullet from a .50 goes 5 miles, I believe he means a 5 mile radius of the range must be notified...my math is rusty, but I'll give it a go... pi*radius squared....hmmm....Wow!  He's going to contact everyone in a 78.5 mile area in 5 minutes?!  Is Santa going to help him? Do you think he could put a good word into the fat man in red that I'd like one of those 5 mile/.50s?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:23:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Things I learned about at tonights meeting discussing the process ...

Todays rifles can shoot grenades

Guys who are gun owners but who have 18 month old girls can become afraid of bullets ,especially .50 with a range of 5 miles.  But not enough to move.

Special permitted use on farmland should not harm the land

Folks can really be jealous of the property taxes that ranges pay.  And don't pay.

That the experts called to give opinions will be unbiased.  This is a relief,  to know that they exist because in all of my dealings with folks that should be unbiased (cops, scientists, etc) I know exactly 0 of them (not counting myself).

The definition of "rifle" has changed over the years and doesn't mean what it meant 40 years ago.  Also, most of these non rifle rifles have likely been obtained illegally up and down the eastern seaboard states.  I'd guess given the sources info that they came from the so called gun shows loopholes

As noise and bullets travel a long way, a 5 mile affected area should be contacted and made known of the upcoming meetings.  In fact, this would be so easy to do one of the attendees was going to go home and do it in 5 minutes.  I guess the public notification wasn't enough.

OK,  that's enough,  this isn't helping me calm down afterall.

I didn't realize that one could fit so much stupid in one room. I don't even no where to begin...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Let me guess - these folks who are complaining just sold their overinflated townhouses in NOVA to come to the country, and are now shocked that people actually own, let alone shoot, guns.

Here's is my learned opinion as a lawyer: FUCK. THEM.

They came to the nuisance. The range, whether in violation of its zoning or not, was there before they showed up in their minivan. They knew about it or should have known about it.

If they want to split hairs about range vs. ranges, and they win, then fine. Build one enormous range, open it up to everything short of B2 bombers, and run it 24/7/365. Go out there on your one permitted range and run as much noise as you can at 3 a.m. on Christmas.

A-FUCKING-MEN, BROTHER!
The Crucible is running into alot of flak from NOVA transplants, and old school Stafford good ole boys who want to sell off their land for the "big score" to the developers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top