Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2005 7:39:26 PM EDT
I'm in the market for a tiny tiny tiny pistol that I can forget I'm wearing.

I'm thinking 380, but I hear that Kahr's have light recoil due to the position of the spring.

I'm leaning towards the sig baby pistol cause I want a single-action capable piece........  The bersa/Walther is tempting, but I don't like the idea of a safety lever......

So I'm looking to try these (or anything similar) out:

Khar PM or MK
Walther PPK
Bersa 380
Sig 230/232

If you have one and wouldn't mind letting me put a mag thorugh it at the NRA range I'd appreiciate it and would reciprocate in kind with any of my toys....
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have two friends with the bersa .380.  I'd suggest just picking one up since they are so cheap.    Its not often you find a reliable pistol for under $250 with a lifetime warrenty.  

Also you may want to check out my colt govt .380.  Its a baby 1911 in .380 that pretty much everyone who's shot it seems to like.  As a matter of fact everytime someone shoots it they offer to take it off my hands.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:42:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm thinking 380, but I hear that Kahr's have light recoil due to the position of the spring.

I'm leaning towards the sig baby pistol cause I want a single-action capable piece........  The bersa/Walther is tempting, but I don't like the idea of a safety lever......

Khar PM or MK
Walther PPK
Bersa 380
Sig 230/232

If you have one and wouldn't mind letting me put a mag thorugh it at the NRA range I'd appreiciate it and would reciprocate in kind with any of my toys....

Chapperjoe
I have a Kahr MK9. Let me know when you want to meet for some "Lead Therapy"
If it's during the week, I wouldn't be able to get there until 6:30-7pm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Khar PM or MK
Walther PPK
Bersa 380
Sig 230/232

I have the Sig P232ST.  Durable, accurate and heavy like a brick.  Slightly smaller than the 239.  Single stack 7+1 rounds.

I just bought a P3AT and had it at the range last Friday.  I like it.  Not as durable or reliable as the 232 but a 7oz 380 w/6+1 ain't bad and is DA only.  In 100 rounds I had 2 FTE's.  But it is new.

LHD has the baby Colt and it is a nice gun.  Highly recommend IF you can find one.

I go to the NRA range Friday afternoons if you care to try either the 232 or P3AT.

The Kel-Tec P11 is also a nice option for those that prefer 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:55:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I been throught the P11.  
PERFECT size - but can't hit sh*t with that trigger.  4000 pounds to pull it back then that snap at the end.... no thanks.  

I can meet anytime anyday ('cept satruday) at the NRA range and i REALLY appreciate it!

Are colt 380's hard to find?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:07:22 AM EDT
[#5]
email on pm9 inbound.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:21:52 AM EDT
[#6]
BlueRidge Arsenal in Chantilly has a MK9 and a Sig I believe that you could rent there to try out.  Call and check.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BlueRidge Arsenal in Chantilly has a MK9 and a Sig I believe that you could rent there to try out.  Call and check.  Good luck.

they RENT guns?  isthat legal?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:58:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

they RENT guns?  isthat legal?

this ain't NY....

(yes, it's legal)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Khar PM or MK
Walther PPK
Bersa 380
Sig 230/232

All the pistols you listed are marginally smaller than the P7 you picked up, and only the polymer Kahr is going to be noticably lighter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#10]
put your name on the waiting list for a Seecamp
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:48:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

what's the big woop with those?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#12]
There is also this little gem:

Rohrbaugh R-9 Pistol 9mm  $989.00

Not sure what the big whoop with these are other than price and availbility.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:18:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Man!  Is there still a waiting list for a seecamp?  I presume you're talking about the 32 acp right?

If that is the case, i don't see the whoop as for the R9 it is a tenth or two smaller in a dimension than the PM9 but hardly worth the money..plus i trust the user's of the PM9 reports of reliability, with my BS filter engaged far more than the R9s.  If you go to their forum you'll see a lot of gushing reports about the "fit and finish" and crap like that and damned little of people actually training with them like they will need to be shot.  I don't care what kind of accuracy or how pretty a small CCW weapon can deliver.  What i do care about is RELIABILITY and to a lesser extent the ergonomics.  Plus as i remember the R9 does not have a slide lock which is a necessity if your trying to clear some kinds of malfunctions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:37:01 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what's the big woop with those?

THe quality of them.
THe Seecamp is a very nice pistol, but check out the NAA version. Cheaper and easier to get.

Both are in .32, which is necessary to get a true pocket pistol.

I would carry the .32 over the .380, if I was going to carry that small of a round.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I would carry the .32 over the .380, if I was going to carry that small of a round.

Why?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 1:12:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Smaller package, faster followup shots due to the decrease in recoil.

The 380 is marginally better in terminal performance than .32, and it's easer to get on target quicker with the .32.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 2:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
really would take 32 over 380?  what are the numbers, anyone know?  (MV, ME etc...)
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:45:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Just to kick to Hydguy's side..  I agree with the smaller, can be better.  I come from the logic that shot placement counts for more than size.  

Without hard numbers to back me up I will not spout some number about how great X caliber is compared to Y...  

Sure the story of some guy who took 3 rounds of .32 and kept on comming is out there.  I have seen dashboard video of a GA state trooper who put several .357 rounds into your average pot bellied man.  The perp took out a .22 and killed the trooper, there are no absolutes.

If you want something that is small and functional, don't limit your options.  The tiny .380's are hard on the hand.  They are almost all pure blow-back, and don't weigh squat.  It feels like you are shooting a hand cannon!  I don't like to shoot the Colt pocketlite2 as it feels like I am shooting a 1oz 12GA slug out of that little thing.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

The 380 is marginally better in terminal performance than .32, and it's easer to get on target quicker with the .32.

this does not apply for the range at which you would use either a .32 or a .380, i mean what kind of scenario do you envision using something like that beyond 3 yds?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

this does not apply for the range at which you would use either a .32 or a .380, i mean what kind of scenario do you envision using something like that beyond 3 yds?

I shoot my .25 out to 25 meters...  doesn't everyone?

In a completely defensive situation, I think the point to make is that the other person will know they are being shot at.  That is the key, reguardless of caliber size, A bad guy won't want to guess if you are carring a .22 or a .45, rounds are comming down range at him, enough said.   Besides, "trying" to hit a moving target is much different than shooting paper.  

ETA
I would rather have something/anything that I would be confident with and carry everywhere than something I am unsure with and carry less.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:49:11 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Colt 1908 will print dime sized groups at 7 yards, and I'm a lousy pistol shooter.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Just for comparisons sake:

P232 and P3AT

Another (really bad photo)

And the P3AT at 7 yrds (two mags +-)

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:53:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top