Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 5:56:42 PM EDT
Hey there folks,

Just thought I'd report on my "attempted dinner" tonight at Outback Steakhouse in Fairfax. I sat down with the wife and "tried" to have a meal only to be approached by "Joey the owner" and told that "we can't allow guns here. would you mind leaving it in your car?" ... I responded, "oh I am sorry. I didn't see your sign" (because they don't have one). We got up and start on our way towards the exit and he calls over and asks me, "would you like me to have an appetizer waiting for you at the table?" ... I turn around half-amazed and half-annoyed and say, "oh, we aren't coming back, thank you". We ended up taking a nice drive over to Lone Star Grill and had a great meal at a gun-friendly establishment. I have no idea if this is corporate policy or just this location but it is quite obvious that they do not want our business. Oh well, they're not the only steak in town ... I just hope they have enough business acumen realize this.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
 Good job.  Mike's in Springfield didn't say a thing to me at the one dinner we had there.  There are several good establishments that like us.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#2]
My understanding from the VCDL website is it is company policy at all Outback's.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I checked VCDL but didn't see Outback ... are they affiliated with Red Lobster?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:35:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hey there folks,

Just thought I'd report on my "attempted dinner" tonight at Outback Steakhouse in Fairfax. I sat down with the wife and "tried" to have a meal only to be approached by "Joey the owner" and told that "we can't allow guns here. would you mind leaving it in your car?" ... I responded, "oh I am sorry. I didn't see your sign" (because they don't have one). We got up and start on our way towards the exit and he calls over and asks me, "would you like me to have an appetizer waiting for you at the table?" ... I turn around half-amazed and half-annoyed and say, "oh, we aren't coming back, thank you". We ended up taking a nice drive over to Lone Star Grill and had a great meal at a gun-friendly establishment. I have no idea if this is corporate policy or just this location but it is quite obvious that they do not want our business. Oh well, they're not the only steak in town ... I just hope they have enough business acumen realize this.

How did they know you were packing?
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Dunno but they suck about as bad as Red Lobster.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[How did they know you were packing?

You have to open carry there because they serve alcohol.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:03:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I have open carried in outback in fairfax without a problem, but it was last year that I did it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#8]
hydguy,

Must be a new owner then ... or you were really discreet ... my 4" stainless steel .357 magnum draws more attention, I guess.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:56:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I am part of a small group that has shot off and on weekly at Shooter's Paradise in Woodbridge. Afterwards we usually went to Outback in Dale City, and some of the Shooter's staff came as well, armed, no problems.  

This changed recently (I haven't been attending regularly some months) and armed citizens are also no longer welcome at Outback in Dale City.  We have taken our business elsewhere.

We are now going to Mike's in Springfield, VA, which is a great joint and gun friendly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:14:41 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
 Good job.  Mike's in Springfield didn't say a thing to me at the one dinner we had there.  There are several good establishments that like us.

+1 I've dined at Mike's on several occasions while open carrying and had NO problems.

F Outback....you should send an account of your SITREP to VCDL and Phillip so they can get the word out.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 6:58:16 AM EDT
[#12]
For the record, this was the Outback in Fairfax on Route 50/29 (Lee Highway)

Also, I sent an email to VCDL with all the details.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:26:56 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I checked VCDL but didn't see Outback ... are they affiliated with Red Lobster?

I thought it was in one of their newsletters or updates but I can't get the search feature to work now.  I see they have updated the web site since my last visit, I need to check it out again.  Glad you reported it to them at any rate.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Fuck Outback.
Lone Star has better steaks anyway
Thanks for the heads up KONY.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:15:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Oh well, they are overpriced with lousy food and lousy service anyway.  I'm usually pretty easy to serve, since I've waited tables before, but having to wait 15 minutes for a refill on my water (this is the third glass, mind you...I drink a lot of water), I get pretty irate.  I mean, if its the first time, its fine, as long as they wisen up.  If I'm an hour into the meal, and I've already asked for a refill 3 times, they should understand that I need water!  Now, my tips are based on how full my water glass is on average.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:16:02 AM EDT
[#16]
it was my understanding that you couldnt carry conceled or open in a restaurant that served alcohol for consumption on site. am i wrong in this? i have read the va state code and thats how the law reads to me. so give me the low down.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
it was my understanding that you couldnt carry conceled or open in a restaurant that served alcohol for consumption on site. am i wrong in this? i have read the va state code and thats how the law reads to me. so give me the low down.

That is the FUBAR'ed thing about VA law.  You can carry open into an ABC establishment but not concealed.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

YOu cannot acrry CONCEALED in any establishment that has an ABC permit for consumption on premesis.
You CAN carry open in these establishments, unless you are asked to leave.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#20]
  Very interesting about concealed/open carry in your state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 4:43:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
  Very interesting about concealed/open carry in your state.

What do you mean?
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:24:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Whats even more interesting is when you look at that portion of 18.2-308 it tells you what violations constitute a class 1 misdimenor and I think some with a felony. However, the portion about the serving alcohol is further down the page all by its self. It is past the requirements for a permit, who can not have a permit, and even who is exempt from having one. The problem is that unlike every other code in 18.2 there is no perscribed crime for doing it. It simply states you cant do it. I would be interested to see some case law on someone that has actually been charged with it. You will not find it probably.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:49:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I always  thought it was a grey area in the law , I CC in restarunts that serve beer but never carry into a decated bar ,Guns and Alchol dont mix lol . One thing is funny though , Your service is a whole lot better if you open carry.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Whats even more interesting is when you look at that portion of 18.2-308 it tells you what violations constitute a class 1 misdimenor and I think some with a felony. However, the portion about the serving alcohol is further down the page all by its self. It is past the requirements for a permit, who can not have a permit, and even who is exempt from having one. The problem is that unlike every other code in 18.2 there is no perscribed crime for doing it. It simply states you cant do it. I would be interested to see some case law on someone that has actually been charged with it. You will not find it probably.  

That's the reasoning Delegate Black (Loudoun Co.) used in his request for an opinion from the Attorney General, recommending that the ban on concealed carry in restaurants be removed.  No teeth = no need for the section.

Last I heard the AG was basically sitting on the law because there were one or two cases in the court system.  I guess he wanted to see what the courts would do before issuing an opinion.  I can't remember if one (or both) of the cases were thrown out, or if any action has been taken on Delegate Black's request.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I would bet that it would never make it past general district court. I would like to see what the summons and what it actually said on it. I looked at a list of the virginia VCC codes and there isnt one for 18.2-308 that mentions anything about carrying in a restraunt.

Closest thing is
WPN5203M1     18.2-308(J1) 0-12M UNDER THE INFLUENCE WHILE CARRYING HANDGUN IN PUBLIC
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:06:45 AM EDT
[#26]
The charge would be "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" in violation of 18.2-308. Remember that CCW is a crime, and the permit exempts you from that crime ... but your permit is null and void in places that serve alcohol for on premises consumption, which puts you back to being in violation.

Depending on the circumstances, trespass could be an ADDITIONAL charge (or could be a charge if you carried openly after being told to leave or come back without the gun).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#27]
I heard a while back that Outback along with Target, Pepsi, Miller Brewing and some others were donating a lot of money to anti-hunting and anti-gun groups.  I can't remember the source and never bothered to verify it.  It makes me wonder if it isn't true since you guys have had these problems.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Anybody have some contact info for this place? A fire mission could be called for.

+1
I'll travel 3 hours from Southeastern VA if someone puts this mission together.  Let's stop chatting about it amungst ourselves and take action.  It shouldn't be difficult to round up 20-100 VA ARFs for a lunch reservation.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:14:26 AM EDT
[#29]
That sounds like a good idea to get people together and go eat there. I wonder if 100 people would get thrown out. Where are you guys looking to do it? Are you all looking to go to the one in nova or just a random outback and just go in to eat with everyone packing.

possumkop - Target and pepsi? Wow I have started going there a lot because it isnt as getto as the mechanicsville walmart. I also drink pepsi all the time. I would like to see the background on this. I am also wondering if they are straight antihunting and gun groups or if they do other things too like PETA. I would think that would be a very bad PR move especially in the southern states as far as guns go and very bad all over for hunters.

dbrowne1 - It would never stick because the person has a permit. The part that it mentions you can not carry it there is in a different part of the code. Just like if you carry in a busness that sais you cant carry they dont charge you with 18.2 - 308 "Carrying a Concealed Weapon" because they cant. The whole fact that there is no vcc code that further explains it, because you would want to explain it further, means that people arnt charged for this.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd be in for this too, let me know when...lets try to coordinate with VCDL though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top