Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2005 8:20:15 AM EDT
I am getting transfered to Quantico, and would like to know some general info about Virginia.  I.E How much are license plates, what insurance is required, pertinent firearms resrtictions, and info, and any other things I might need to know.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 12:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Tags are $25 but you do have to pay personal property tax.  IIRC I think the military gets the county stickers free, I think we did when my dad was stationed there many moons ago.

For gun laws:
www.packing.org
Link Posted: 1/4/2005 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Marine or Navy?

Welcome and hook up with us anytime to go shooting or to one of our dinners, hope to see you soon and service branch is of no concern to us.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:00:18 AM EDT
[#3]
U.S. Marines.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tags are $25 but you do have to pay personal property tax.  IIRC I think the military gets the county stickers free, I think we did when my dad was stationed there many moons ago.

For gun laws:
www.packing.org

If you have a base registered vehicle you will get a form to get your sticker for $1 one time.  It is best to leave your vehicle tagged for NC though or your home of record.  Like gotM4 said "ppt" and it sucks.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
U.S. Marines.  

Welcome Devil DAWG!  
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 3:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
U.S. Marines.  

Semper Fi !

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:06:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Semper Gumby...At the Quantico PMO office, you can get your Prince William couty personal property tax sticker for  your vehicles.  If you live in Stafford county, you have to go to the county office next to the courthouse.  I think it costs about 5 bucks for the sticker, not sure, it has been awhile since I was eligible for it.  Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania county I don't know about.
What outfit are you being assigned to at Quantico?hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:22:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Should have also told you that as far as firearms restrictions, unless you have a carry concealed license, you can only purchase one handgun a month.  As a military member assigned to an organization in Virginia, you can purchase handguns and longarms but must have a copy of your orders.  You can open carry any where you wish except federal property or where the owner has posted no firearms.  Not many restrictions that I can think of.  Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) is a good pro-active organization to get involved with. They have been very successful with legislation in the State.

Not sure about insurance requirements for automobiles but it's not terribly expensive.  GIECO and USAA are both very reasonable.

Will you live on base or are you looking to live off base?hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Welcome!

Danny

added to "the" list
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:56:24 AM EDT
[#10]
things to know: rush hour traffic is HORRIBLE beyond belief. it is marvelled at around the world. if it rains or looks like it's going to rain, your time spent in traffic will be doubled. forget about snow...pack for at least 3 days on the road. be ready to stand in line for hours as everyone goes into panic mode and storms the food lions, giants, safeways, and commissaries to stock up on milk, bread, and toilet paper. even if it's only a quarter inch, panic ensues.

traffic on weekends is little better. you need to watch the carpool lanes if you're heading up to northern virginia (nova) or dc. if they're in your direction, you're gold. if not, you're screwed, see above.

drivers here are stupid beyond belief. i have had new yorkers tell me how shocked they are at the rudeness and stupidity of nova-area drivers. they've never seen anything like it...

get ready to pay out the ass for BASIC cable ($53/mo).

potomac mills is the biggest shopping area around. it is jam packed every weekend. you will age years driving around and around their immense parking lots looking for an open space. stafford (south of quantico) and central park in freddy'sburg is little better. in fact, forget about central park on the weekends until you've been here a year or two...it's just too...horrifying...

prices at the px are NOT competitive. they are actually higher for many things than the outside. the commissary on the other hand is not bad. you may like the ft belvoir commissary better for selection and price though.

there's the quantico gun club on base and you get to shoot at wtbn. plus, they have neat guest instructors (pretty pricey most of 'em are, though).

lotta great tourist shit around. think about it, the rev war and civil war both happened HERE. our country STARTED in nova (well, technically not but you know what i mean...). lotta good clubs in dc but you gotta be careful where you go or you'll end up lying in an alley. there's safety in numbers. the dc cops are thugs and will fuck you over in a heartbeat especially if you're white and/or a marine. nova cops are considerably better and more professional. there are a lotta good bars and clubs in nova too.

in quantico, you have the town of quantico which caters to the marcor but it's really kinda dead at night. the all hands club is kinda the same. filly's (kind of a redneck hooters) right outside the back gate really gets busy at night but i wasn't all that impressed...but then again, i'm older and wiser now...kinda...

the mcb itself is ok. you have lunga reservoir with rental boats and picnic/camping areas. the stables are good. the golf course is supposed to be nice (i don't play). the mickey mouse factor here is very VERY high though. you have a huge amount of 01's here with nothing better to do than fuck around and play office games all day. this is a school base so there are a LOT of officers and senior snco's and there is also the civilian factor. the atmosphere here is very strange, unlike anywhere else you will ever serve in the corps. it will either be a learning experience or will sour you on the corps forever.

good luck and welcome aboard!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top