Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2004 9:34:52 AM EDT
Looks like the Ohio and NY hometowns have setup weekends to go up and do a class.  I've been before and had a blast.  There was lots of good info and lots of good shooting.  We did iron sight, optics, day, night and the simulator valley was awesome.  PeteG teaches and TonyF and Slimeball helped. Aside from the controversy about the GPGC its nothing but fun.  The classes are very inexpensive when compared to thunderranch and frontsight.  I would be willing to take the basic tactical cabine class again, if you havent taken it you have to before they'll allow you into the advanced class.  This isnt a bunch of guys running around in the woods playing army, its legitimate education.  

The class was about 8 people last time and there was plenty of targets and supplies for everyone.  Pete allows you to use what ever carbine you like.  The class was structured around the AR but myself and another guy used AKs.  He would have also let me use my HK91 but I didnt feel like shooting .308 for 3 days.  Theres a couple hours of classroom time and a video or two from Col. Cooper.  Pete is a lawyer and he talks about federal/PA law with the use of deadly force.  

I really had a good time in the simulator, I did get blasted by a badguy with a revolver, but so did everyone else.  It really tied together all the themes we had learned in the class.

If theres an interest I'll contact Pete and see if we can get a discount or something.

Edit:
The class is held just outside pittsburgh, its about a 3.5-4 hour drive from NoVa.  The web price is $325 for the 3 day class, it was a little bit lower last time but they have Giles Stock teaching this year.  As for when, if there's interest I'll contact Pete and see about availability.  Like I said before, its a small class and they fill up fast.  Its very conducive to getting your questions answered and a lot of instructor 1 on 1 time.  

FIRE Institute

The list:

Hank_Rearden1
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Where is this, when and how much $$? Sounds good.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#2]
If you dont know Giles, he teaches all around the country including gunsite.  A lot of people use the sling he designed as well.  I'm not sure if he'll be there further into the year/next year but the program was excellent without him.  I can only imagine he'd make it better.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I've taken 2 pistol classes from giles and he is great.  I've also taken a carbine class from Pete and he is quite good as well.   I've been thinking about the practical rifle course taught by randy cain or the CQB tarrani course.

The classes are taught at the Greater Pittsburg Gun Club which has recently screwed one of our members for $145 so i'm not real keen on them right now.  It is a good range though and if Tex makes things right i might consider going.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 10:20:44 AM EDT
[#4]
That practical rifle class looks real good too.  I figured the BTR class fit this board a little better though.
Link Posted: 9/4/2004 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Depending on the timing of things I would also be intrested as well.

VA-Spook
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#6]
What exact coarse are you talking about taking?
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The Basic Tactical Carbine.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

September 4th, 5th, and 6th - Looks like we were alittle late.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:11:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was planning on setting it up for spring.  That gives everyone time to get unneutered rifles and money for the class.
Link Posted: 9/5/2004 12:56:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was planning on setting it up for spring.  That gives everyone time to get unneutered rifles and money for the class.

Consider me interested.
Link Posted: 9/7/2004 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Is there anyone else interested?  So far I have 4 people that want info.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, here's the deal.  We can schedule our own class when we want as long as we have the requisite 8 people.  He has frozen the class price at $325 for us assuming we schedule our own class.  The full cost of the class needs to be paid in full 30 days before the class starts.  We can schedule the class with a 50% or more deposite from everyone attending.   You dont have to pay in 2 parts obviously but the options is there for people who dont have a large amount of disposable income.  The scheduled time can be any saturday-sunday-monday we want.  Since most of the class is outside I'd suggest March-May sometime.  We may get a little rain but it wont be cold and it wont be hot.  

I'd like to get a list of the people still interested.

I'd like to see when everyone who's interested wants to go.

I'd like to set a deadline for class payment.

The hotels in the area are cheap, especially if a couple people double up.   When I went last year the class was a little cheaper but I got out for around $500 with class, hotel, food and ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 6:32:09 AM EDT
[#13]
I am in!

If all goes well.
Link Posted: 9/13/2004 2:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I might be up for the tactical rifle course.  Dates?  Instructors?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top