Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2004 9:13:03 AM EDT
I did read thru the post above and it was very helpful. The Statute didn't exactly cover my situation and I was wondering if anyone could provide some insight.

I am a legal VA resident with no disqualifications other than I have not recently taken an approved course. I did take one in Massachuetts when I was kid but of course that certificate is long gone.

While residing in MA, I was issued a license to carry and have a copy of same. It expired 10 years ago but it does have my picture and finger print on it. Would this be accepted in lieu of a recent safety certificate? I've been shooting for 35 years.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:24:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Call the courthouse and ask.  I would think that the MA safety course you took would suffice, but without the certificate proving you took it, VA has no way of knowing what you really did to get a CWP in MA ten years ago.  Just having the CWP doesn't prove you took a class equvilent to the VA requirement.  Having a CWP that expired ten years ago is even less useful in this case, as the requirements for a MA CWP may have drastically (or not) changed over the last decade.  It's doubtful that anyone in MA's issuing system today could even tell you what you had to do to get it back then.  If there is, it'd probably be more work to get them and VA together and agreeing on what was what.  It's bad enough just trying to get anything done dealing with one government.  Two governments at once...I'd just retake the class.

Seriously, if you don't have any of the other requriements listed, like a DD214 or hunter safety, etc., then you might as well take the class.  It doesn't cost too much, and it would be a good review on things.  It's only a few hours, and you'll easily spend that trying to convince your local court that your ten year old expired MA CWP proves you took some safety class that you don't have a certificate for.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless it changed last year, you are exempted if you have ever had a CCW and I don't think it stipulates that it must be a Va ccw. Might be wrong though.

I think they go on your certification that you had one. It would be impossible for the court to check on them. Even older Va permits. I had to get info on mine once that I had through the City of Richmond (pre "apply in jurisdiction in which you reside days"

The clerk said he couldn't find it so I had to sit down with the orders of the court, book and look until I found mine.

I wouldn't ask the clerk of the court for advice though. They have a real problem just following the rules for issuing permits.

You might want to check with VCDL. They are truly on top of the laws.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:34:57 AM EDT
[#3]
You're probably right. For the record, MA has the toughest gun laws in the country and even getting a CWP is an accoplishment. Of course, VA would have no way of knowing that. You the course is only a few hours. The one I spoke to said his class was $80 and it started at 8:00AM and wouldn't get over until 3:00PM. I'm not sure what could take so long.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#4]
If your saying I was right....I wasn't. I re read it and it says license within the Commonwealth. Sorry.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You're probably right. For the record, MA has the toughest gun laws in the country and even getting a CWP is an accoplishment. Of course, VA would have no way of knowing that. You the course is only a few hours. The one I spoke to said his class was $80 and it started at 8:00AM and wouldn't get over until 3:00PM. I'm not sure what could take so long.

Bomber

They go the the laws, when you can and can't shoot,etc...Q&A, Lunch-Then timed & scored shooting.

It does kill a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Time to call my mom and see if the Hunter Safety course certificate I earned is still around. It does say that they will accept a certificate provided by other state's Div. Of Fisheries and Game.

BOmber
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 12:14:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Let's see if I can stick my foot in my mouth again!

If your Game and Fisheries are like ours, you can give them an affidavit that you took and passed the class and they will send you a certificate.
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Hello Bomber, Call the county clerk in Woodstock, They give a 3 hour course, Mostly videos, And it will work as your permit is concerned, This is what I did.  I was sitting there watching the first movie, all the while alot of comotion starts up outside the room(class is given in the woodstock police barracks) The Lady came back in,Turned off the movie,handed me my Cert. and told me to leave.
Im thinking, Cool 10 mins for a 3 hour class, Good deal...................That was at 9am on Sept 11th 2001.............Anyway check it out...........Udog
Link Posted: 8/21/2004 2:39:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool.....I'll call Monday.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 8:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If you find you are in need of a class, there will be an NRA FIRST Steps pistol class on September 23rd at Rivanna (Charlottesville) and an NRA Basic Pistol at Stonewall Rifle and Pistol Club (Staunton) on September 24th and 25th.

http://www.rrpc.org

http://www.stonewallrpc.org

Randy
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I went down to the court last week and talked to one of the clerks. He said the Judge has been very reasonable but he couldn't make any promises. If the judge denies it I'm out $40, If he approves, I saved $80.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bomber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top