Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2003 11:08:41 AM EDT
Just joined and did the first work party.  Interesting bunch of guys, though a few are the stereotypical "what do you need that for" guys.  Some seemed OK.

They sure did bad mouth the Open House attendees......

If you are within an hour of this place you may want to consider joining......nice facilities.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
is this the one near fredericksburg, aka freddiville?

i am confused by their land stock purchase requirement.  may be you can shed some light on me.  what in the world do i need that for beside making someone rich of my hobby?  if i have my own lands, i'll let people shoot there free.  most gun club i know of have bubba thinking that the 2nd ammendment only involves duck hunting.  they fail to realize that gun is gun, as long as it is conventional guns and none of that bio and chemi shit, then they're ok even if they are machine guns.

just my 3 cents cuz i like to leave tip.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Being brand new to the NVGC it is my understanding that the shares of land stock are for the purpose of maintaining some pride in something you own.

The shares are $35/each and you buy two per year.

Not sure if they go up over time or what, but for that little bit of money to have free use of a 200yd range...I'm there!!!!
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Glad to see another AR15.com user become a member of NVGC.  The shares seem to go up over time and probbably are undervalued since the club owns 200+ acres of land.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If it's only costing you $70 bucks a year to shoot out to 200 yards you've got a deal.  Most annual memberships are over $100.  Can you sell the shares back at a later date and time?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#5]
You may also want to look into Quantico Shooting Club Shivan, (I think I read in your posts that you shoot shotguns a lot).  I just joined Quantico shooting club about a month ago.  I was only on the waiting list for 3 weeks. (they have to keep a ratio of 2 to 1.  Military to civilian.)  It's $35 per year dues and they use rifle Range 1 which is 300 meters.  Also allowed to use the indoor pistol range and the outdoor competition range.  I haven't shot there yet.  The also have a shotgun range.  www.quanticoshootingclub.com
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I belive you can sell back the shares when you no longer wish to belong to the club.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
We need some more shooters to join NVGC.

The club is run mostly by the guys who live real close to it and most of them join to get cheap hunting rights - the work parties are full of the hunters because after the first year you only need to do them if you want to hunt.

Some of the hunters would just as soon no one else join - they don't want a lot of competition on the deer.

If you leave the area or just don't want to belong to the club the club will buy back the stock.  The price of the stock has gone up in recent years, untill a few years ago it was $16 a share. I think they raised the price to reflect the increased land value and to prevent someone from assuming a controlling block of shares too cheaply.

Most of the members are pretty cool and 80% of the members probably has at least one semi-auto military type rifle.  I went to the range Sunday - it was a great day to shoot - perfect weather. Got a chance to use the new target frames - they looked like a big improvement!

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:05:50 AM EDT
[#8]
is there a website or something?  I guess i'm trying to join anything in NoVA already i'm in IWL, QSC, Gilberts and NRAHQ.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:55:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
They sure did bad mouth the Open House attendees......

Can you give examples?  Were we rude or what?  Hearing crap like that doesn't make me more inclined to join....not that I can afford it right now anyway, but still.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#10]
across the course shooting, leaving brass, leaving target debris...

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 1:24:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey I accounted for ALL my .223 brass , and the .45 brass that didn't fly into the tall grass.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 2:22:11 PM EDT
[#12]
I picked up most of my brass and most of the people who were shooting to my left.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:54:54 PM EDT
[#13]
There was some comment in the latest newletter with moaning about the across the course shooting, I didn't see any but my thinking is " why didn't the range officer step up and address it at the time?"

For years nobody worried about brass - you picked it up if you reloaded, if you didn't reload someone who did would come by and get it. Now they have a barrel for brass but the rake or dustpan is always missing!

Still a good club in spite of the occasional weenie mentality - just ignore them. Usually when I'm blasting at the range and I get then vibe someone is annoyed by my blasting I invite them to shoot a few mags - usually that turns them around real quick.  

As I posted previosly the local club members tend to be hunters who view the club almost as their personal hunting ground - quite naturual they want to come up with rationalization to not have open houses and such. I find that these same people often are the worst in regard to range safety and cleaning up after themselves.

However ,most of the members are easy to get along with.

Quoted:
across the course shooting, leaving brass, leaving target debris...

Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#14]
the one near my house charge 65 bucks for annual membership.  land stock is 30 bucks a share and members must buy 4 share minium each year.  there is a 100 dollars activation charge.

the first year fee is a little much for young people like me.  heck, it is a lot of common folks with only a few guns.  i'll join that place if i think i'll be around here for many years.  the place near my house won't give full money back to the shares.  they decide how much they will buy it back for and the price cannot be more than 75% of the purchase value.  i call those stock confederate bond because you pay for them but you don't neccessary get anything back. the chance of club selling their land is super rare because member will not allow it; assuming members do have the right to vote for it because they're "owner" of the land.  i think there is something shady about this stock thing.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
and members are required to be nra member also.  i am nra members and i wish nra would open up outdoor range for member and charge 100 bucks a year to shoot.  it is cheap to have a range open; just open land.  if they buy it out in caroline county then they can get really cheap land for shooting.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#16]
#1 we seem to be talking about the same place.

#2 The stock is bought back for the current value, not more or less, and certainly not some magic formula.

#3 The price is more than reasonable for an outdoor range with a 200yd line.  There are places charging more than twice that fee for less.

#4 It's $60/year, $100 initiation fee and $35/share of stock.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

How does one join? Would I have to wait till another open house?

--LS
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone who wants membership info can send me an email & I will forward them a membership info pack as a Word attachment.

You do Not need to have a sponsor to join.

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does one join? Would I have to wait till another open house?

--LS

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 10:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Is this the club that has the range in King George county?
If it is someone clue me in on how to join, email me at [email protected]

Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top