Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2003 10:12:54 AM EDT
Can I purchase a longarm from a VA dealer with my NY residence?  I would be walking into the shop and not doing the mailorder FFL thing.  I emailed quantico arms but got no response
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't think Federal laws forbid it (I think on handguns they do).  I bought a unissued Yugo SKS from a gunshop in NC and I'm a resident of VA.  States laws may forbid it though.  I saw a sign at the Bass Pro Shop in MD that said that VA residents cannot buy longguns.  If they don't get back to you check with VA Arms at www.virginiaarms.com they are in Manassas VA and are great to deal with 703-368-3949 they're open from 10am-7pm M-F and 9am-5pm Sat
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 12:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I think contiguous states only per VA laws, and NY laws apply too. I second gotm4 on checking with Bernie at VA arms. Last time i asked a similar question regarding purchase of long arm from TN, he emailed me a very lenthy reply, complete with qoutations from both VA and TN laws that apply and from the BATF. Very thorough.
DD
edited to change congruent to contiguous per WW
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Unfoturnately VA State Police are now enforcing a little known State law that prohibits sale of long guns to anyone not from a contiguous state with VA.  So no, can't buy one with a NY liscense.

Hopefully this will be overturned next year.
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't think Federal laws forbid it (I think on handguns they do).  I bought a unissued Yugo SKS from a gunshop in NC and I'm a resident of VA.  States laws may forbid it though.  I saw a sign at the Bass Pro Shop in MD that said that VA residents cannot buy longguns.  If they don't get back to you check with VA Arms at www.virginiaarms.com they are in Manassas VA and are great to deal with 703-368-3949 they're open from 10am-7pm M-F and 9am-5pm Sat

This VA-NC exchange might be a Contigious State thingie for long guns...

I'm suprised that neither Dave nor Katrina got back w/ya.  Talk for Bernie at VA Arms-He great too!

Link Posted: 10/13/2003 11:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I've been refused a sale of a long gun in Delaware due to a quirk of VA laws.  It seems you can buy long guns from other states but the Federal statute on this indicates that the selling dealer must comply with the laws of the state of the buyer.  Well, because a Delaware dealer can't phone in a check to the VA state police, he can't do it.  

This dealer is well known for its high end shotguns and had just been audited by the BATFE a month prior.  They had been selling to VA residents and were catching hell for it.  
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've been refused a sale of a long gun in Delaware due to a quirk of VA laws.  It seems you can buy long guns from other states but the Federal statute on this indicates that the selling dealer must comply with the laws of the state of the buyer.  Well, because a Delaware dealer can't phone in a check to the VA state police, he can't do it.  

This dealer is well known for its high end shotguns and had just been audited by the BATFE a month prior.  They had been selling to VA residents and were catching hell for it.  

That's interesting.  I hope this doesn't change for VA residents buying in NC.  I like that gunshop a lot.  The dealer in NC that sold me the SKS, didn't even have to call it in.  He said that if you have a carry permit they don't need to call it in (I don't know if this is federal or state law), so I filled out the 4473 paid for it and went home.  One thing that's wierd about NC though is that NC residents buying handguns have to get a permit to purchase a handgun, you get it from the Sheriffs office.  They won't even show you a handgun without this permit.  It's even illegal to sell a handgun privately there if the buyer doesn't have the permit to purchase.
Top Top