Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2003 8:10:00 PM EDT
me, my dad, and the guy at the gun shop(the gun dealer) got to talking about pistol grips on a shot gun. he said that somebody under 21 cant buy a pistol grip stock for a shot gun.

im 17 now and i will be 18 come sept 4th.
i want to get a pistol grip stock for my winchester 1300. so i was wondering if it would be legal for me to hunt with a shot gun that has a pistol grip on it

thanks
Link Posted: 8/20/2003 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#1]
It would still be considered a shotgun with the pistol grip, so I don't see why there would be a problem. I don't recall seeing any laws concerning this issue. I don't remember if there are any hunting regulations covering shotguns with pistol grips though.

There are no laws about being 21 to buy a stock for a shotgun that I have ever seen either. What law did he say this was covered by?
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#2]
The only laws that I know of concerning shotguns in VA have to do with barrel length, mag capacity and type of shot for hunting.
Link Posted: 8/21/2003 5:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The dealer is right.  I can't quote verbatim right now, I'll have to find the passage, but a shotgun with a pistol grip is verbotten for a purchaser under 21, it is not considered a "long arm" by ATF.

That said, you can install one on your shotgun that you already have.  Just like a handgun cannot be bought from a dealer by an 18 year old, it is perfectly legal for you to possess a handgun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top