Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2003 7:36:23 AM EDT
Went with C4iGrant & SlimHazy to a private field for some shooting yesterday.

We shot some at 200 yards but both Grant and I had some minor problems with either rifle or ammo. Grant had some issues with the scope mount on his SPR and I was shooting Federal factory ammo in my Remington 700 that was sighted in using some very specific handloads. Anyway it didn't take us long to move in closer.

We did quite a bit of drilling with handguns. I'm more and more in favor of this type of shooting the longer I'm in this hobby/sport. There is just only so far you can go shooting holes in paper. When the time comes to defend yourself will you be ready? Will you be able to get a fresh magazine out and insert it correctly while on the move and then accurately engage targets? Can you run, take cover, load your weapon, clear a jammed weapon and shoot accurately all while under pressure? I'd be willing to bet not quite as well as you think you can.

All three of us have been doing the shooting thing for some time now. Grant and Kevin both have military experience and yet I can safely say all three of us learned something about our abilities and weapon operation yesterday. I learned  I need a lot more "real combat situation" type shooting practice. Several times I did not even get off a round while Kevin and Grant were finishing off the course. I got caught with my pants down several times, in a SHTF or a intruder situation that could very well have been my life. It was sobering.

I strongly encourage all of you to get out of the "range" mentality of shooting. Get proper combat shooting training. It will show you your own limitations, it's very fun, and it pushes you to excel. The friendly competition is great for helping you to improve your skills as well.

I think I can safely say the three of us had a great time and more importantly we all improved our readiness level in the process.

Thanks guy's I look forward to doing that again and again.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I really regret not being able to attend.
Sounds like you guys had a good time.
I'm thinking about going to Chickahominy next weeked, I'll give you a holler.

Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:51:01 PM EDT
[#2]
You might try to find some guys who shoot IDPA out where you live.  It basically does what you are talking about, shooting in real life scenarios with real life handguns, not IPSC race guns, and from cover.

We shoot at Black Creek, Cavalier, Rivanna, and at Dominion indoor range here in Richmond.

Check out my thread that's tacked up top.

Glad you guys had a great time.  Shooting is always a major stress releiver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm sure you guys know about Norfolk County gun club, they do IDPA twice a month. It's pretty fun. I'm still waiting for RRA to ship my AR to the Armory... I'm brand new to the AR but I'm sure it will be alot of fun. My mother-in-law got me a membership to Lynhaven for fathers day. She's so cool (ya don't here that very often)
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 9:09:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top