Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2022 2:04:34 PM EDT
What are the current laws regarding concealed carry, what type of firearms allowed, mag capacity, threaded barrels, lasers, etc.?

What about black rifles/MSRs in general?

It seems like a litany of crap and technicalities to wade through......

Link Posted: 7/29/2022 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Nobody? No CCL holders/gun owners in Chicago, here?
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 3:05:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm way south of Chicago so I don't know about possible local restrictions on magazine capacity/type of weapons. Here's the info on concealed carry though:

From here: https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles/docs/FSB/General%20Information/1-154%20-%20Transporting%20Your%20Firearm.pdf

A non-resident who has a valid Concealed
Carry License from their home state may carry
a concealed firearm within a vehicle traveling
through Illinois. If the non-resident leaves
the vehicle unattended, the firearm must be
stored concealed in a case inside the locked
vehicle or locked container within the vehicle
out of plain view. For the purpose of subsection
430 ILCS 66/65(b), a “case” includes a glove
compartment or console that completely
encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition,
the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying
box, shipping box, or other container.

If you remove the firearm from the vehicle then it's supposed to be unloaded and in a case(carrying it to your motel room, etc). Hope that helps.

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm way south of Chicago so I don't know about possible local restrictions on magazine capacity/type of weapons. Here's the info on concealed carry though:

From here: https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles/docs/FSB/General%20Information/1-154%20-%20Transporting%20Your%20Firearm.pdf

A non-resident who has a valid Concealed
Carry License from their home state may carry
a concealed firearm within a vehicle traveling
through Illinois. If the non-resident leaves
the vehicle unattended, the firearm must be
stored concealed in a case inside the locked
vehicle or locked container within the vehicle
out of plain view. For the purpose of subsection
430 ILCS 66/65(b), a “case” includes a glove
compartment or console that completely
encloses the concealed firearm or ammunition,
the trunk of the vehicle, or a firearm carrying
box, shipping box, or other container.

If you remove the firearm from the vehicle then it's supposed to be unloaded and in a case(carrying it to your motel room, etc). Hope that helps.

View Quote

Ah, thanks good to know if I'm traveling through. Seems prohibitive and only allowed within the confines of one's vehicle. Nothing outside. Does an out of state
CPL holder instantly become a felon once he exits the vehicle with the firearm concealed? No reciprocity with certain states? Nevermid, Nope.

But...this is actually specifically geared towards an actual resident of the City of Chicago and also what their CCL(CPL over here) holders can own/carry to defend themselves.
I have a customer who's moved there from MI and is interested in having a firearm transferred, but I know there is a labyrinth of regulations with varying counties,
cities, townships, etc., that get more severe/restrictive or vice versa depending on where one resides. From the ISP document posted:

"Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons Act does not preempt
local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying
or transporting firearms through such communities could
be subject to local firearm ordinances."

So, I read that as one could be good to go carrying and/or owning a particular firearm(s), but could possibly be a felon the next municipality over that bans said item?
We don't have any of those fuck-fuck laws in MI(YET), so yeah, I'm quite appalled and in a state of disbelief.

I've done a bunch of digging and I can't find jack shit about actual Chicago firearms laws, other than anything that has any kind of "evil feature" is banned.
Frigging lasers,too? My god....

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:33:58 AM EDT
[#4]
"Illinois’ Unlawful Use of Weapons Act does not preempt
local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying
or transporting firearms through such communities could
be subject to local firearm ordinances."
View Quote

This is not right...please link to where you found it.

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This is not right...please link to where you found it.

Thanks
Mike
View Quote

I really hope not, but from the link Spurg posted:

Illinois State Police "Transport Your
Firearm Legally
Commonly Asked Questions
On Transporting Firearms in Illinois"
Illinois statute 430 ILCS 65/13.3,
https://isp.illinois.gov/StaticFiles/docs/FSB/General%20Information/1-154%20-%20Transporting%20Your%20Firearm.pdf

and:  

https://ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/fulltext.asp?DocName=043000650K13.3
"Sec. 13.3. Municipal ordinance submission. Within 6 months after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 92nd General Assembly, every municipality must submit to the Illinois State Police a copy of every ordinance adopted by the municipality that regulates the acquisition, possession, sale, or transfer of firearms within the municipality and must submit, 30 days after adoption, every such ordinance adopted after its initial submission of ordinances under this Section. The Illinois State Police shall compile these ordinances and publish them in a form available to the public free of charge and shall periodically update this compilation of ordinances in a manner prescribed by the Director of the Illinois State Police.
(Source: P.A. 102-538, eff. 8-20-21.)"

Link Posted: 7/30/2022 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
The outdated silliness posted had been removed at one point but evidently in a stroke of ISP brilliance, someone poked it back up there!
We have reached out to ISP and maybe they can drive a stake in this posting for good!  
Glad it was found so it could be fixed!

This is the law:

Transportation preemption     (430 ILCS 65/13.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.1)
   Sec. 13.1. Preemption.:
. . . the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act.

This part on the brochure/flyer includes the statewide preemption on carry guns, even though it doesn’t spell preemption out:
4. Carried or possessed in accordance with the
Firearm Concealed Carry Act (430 ILCS 66/)
by a person who has a valid Illinois Concealed
Carry License

(430 ILCS 66/90)
   Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
(Source: P.A. 98-63, eff. 7-9-13.)
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The outdated silliness posted had been removed at one point but evidently in a stroke of ISP brilliance, someone poked it back up there!
We have reached out to ISP and maybe they can drive a stake in this posting for good!  

This is the law:

Sec. 13.1. Preemption.:
. . . the transportation of any firearm and ammunition by a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, enacted on or before the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, on the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly, shall be invalid in its application to a holder of a valid Firearm Owner's Identification Card issued by the Illinois State Police under this Act.

This part on the brochure/flyer includes the statewide preemption on carry guns, even though it doesn’t spell preemption out:
Carry License

(430 ILCS 66/90)
   Sec. 90. Preemption. The regulation, licensing, possession, registration, and transportation of handguns and ammunition for handguns by licensees are exclusive powers and functions of the State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion thereof, enacted on or before the effective date of this Act that purports to impose regulations or restrictions on licensees or handguns and ammunition for handguns in a manner inconsistent with this Act shall be invalid in its application to licensees under this Act on the effective date of this Act. This Section is a denial and limitation of home rule powers and functions under subsection (h) of Section 6 of Article VII of the Illinois Constitution.
View Quote

That's great for you guys! Looks like the Preemption ruling for CCL holder went into effect 2013.

Does this mean that Chicago's(or any other municipalities) AWB is/are no longer valid and magazine restrictions do not hold anymore weight?

Can a CCL holder carry say, an AR pistol(with all the "evil" features) in Chicago with say a beta drum without fear of arrest, confiscation, going to jail,
and getting rung through the legal system? If that's the case, have there been any accounts of anti-gun municipalities LE, giving gun owners/CCL holders the  
"guilty 'till proven innocent" treatment?

What about the whole stupid laser aiming devices thing?
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's great for you guys! Looks like the Preemption ruling for CCL holder went into effect 2013.

Does this mean that Chicago's(or any other municipalities) AWB is/are no longer valid and magazine restrictions do not hold anymore weight?

Can a CCL holder carry say, an AR pistol(with all the "evil" features) in Chicago with say a beta drum without fear of arrest, confiscation, going to jail,
and getting rung through the legal system? If that's the case, have there been any accounts of anti-gun municipalities LE, giving gun owners/CCL holders the  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the law:

Sec. 13.1. Preemption.:

Carry License

(430 ILCS 66/90)

I think it's kind of a gray area in a lot of senses and Chicago will still gladly ruin your life taking you to court with something that is perfectly legal.

Which reminds me, does anyone know what happened to this guy that they tried to call a mass shooter that they stopped but was really just a guy traveling with firearms and didn't want them in his car overnight?

https://abc7chicago.com/hotel-chicago-gun-keegan-casteel-guns/10864783/
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Existing "assault bans" were grandfathered in at that time.

I think the stupid laser crap still applies to non-carry guns

there was a case with AR pistol that I think was dropped.

I personally wouldn't "poke the crazy bear" up North with AR-pistols.  You should win the case but, maybe not worth the battle.  

These aren't rational or informed folks up North!  They are democrats!
Link Posted: 8/6/2022 3:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Existing "assault bans" were grandfathered in at that time.

I think the stupid laser crap still applies to non-carry guns

there was a case with AR pistol that I think was dropped.

I personally wouldn't "poke the crazy bear" up North with AR-pistols.  You should win the case but, maybe not worth the battle.  

These aren't rational or informed folks up North!  They are democrats!
View Quote

According to (430 ILCS 65/13.1) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-13.1)
   Sec. 13.1. Preemption., that appears to be correct. Unless I'm reading this wrong. I'm used to seeing "assault weapons" grandfathered, not "Assault Weapons" bans. W.T.F.

(c) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this Section, the regulation of the possession or ownership of assault weapons are exclusive powers and functions of this State. Any ordinance or regulation, or portion of that ordinance or regulation, that purports to regulate the possession or ownership of assault weapons in a manner that is inconsistent with this Act, shall be invalid unless the ordinance or regulation is enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly. Any ordinance or regulation described in this subsection (c) enacted more than 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly is invalid. An ordinance enacted on, before, or within 10 days after the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 98th General Assembly may be amended.

I talked to a Chicago cop at length at the gun desk(ex HBT/SWAT guy) for a couple hours, and he was surprisingly, extremely CCL/pro-gun. He made it apparent, that despite IL state Preemption laws, there is certainly a gray area in the city of Chicago, and it's really is up to officer discretion(dependent on who you run in to) in regarding what will get you hemmed up and what won't depending on what you are doing and what your intentions are. You may get arrested and wrung thru the legal system, or you might get a pat on the back, and be to told to carry on. If you get brought up on bullshit charges, You'll win eventually after you get dragged through the legal process, but you can and will be financially wrecked during and afterwards.

I'm really surprised that NOBODY on this board that lives in Chicago or Cook county has chimed in.

Ain't nobody here from Chi-Town who's packing? Especially with all the shootings/craziness? Hard to believe.
Link Posted: 8/8/2022 4:50:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in NW suburban Cook County. I have my CCL and there are no restrictions in my town. I don’t go into Shitcago. I live in a nice suburb and we don’t have the issues that Shitcago does.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top