Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 1:52:39 PM EDT
Funny but true story.  Went to a gun store last week just to kill some time.  I am not going to name the store cause I want to see if anybody can guess it.  Anyway I went to this gun store and saw 2 Ar15's on the shelf sitting there.  This is the same store that told me they are illegal to own in Cook Co.  So I asked to see one of the Ar's please.  Well the girl behind the counter told me they are not Ar's because those are illegal to own, this is Colt's new rifle thats shoots .22 LR. So we got to talkin about the Ar's and how they don't want Mayor Dumbass breathing down their necks.  First off this place is not in Chicago so how the hell would he have anything to do with what they sell and second 5 guns down from the Colt Ar look alike was a Barret .50.  How is that big ass rifle legal but the Ar is not.  To make a long boring story short I think I am going back to buy the Barret
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Funny but true story.  Went to a gun store last week just to kill some time.  I am not going to name the store cause I want to see if anybody can guess it.  Anyway I went to this gun store and saw 2 Ar15's on the shelf sitting there.  This is the same store that told me they are illegal to own in Cook Co.  So I asked to see one of the Ar's please.  Well the girl behind the counter told me they are not Ar's because those are illegal to own, this is Colt's new rifle thats shoots .22 LR. So we got to talkin about the Ar's and how they don't want Mayor Dumbass breathing down their necks.  First off this place is not in Chicago so how the hell would he have anything to do with what they sell and second 5 guns down from the Colt Ar look alike was a Barret .50.  How is that big ass rifle legal but the Ar is not.  To make a long boring story short I think I am going back to buy the Barret

You're kidding, right?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:35:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cook county has a ban on AR's It affects unincorporated cook county so the girl behind the counter would be correct. Also the 50 bmg is banned in Cook as well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Also I may know the store of which you speak but will not guess
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:38:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Anywhere in cook falls under the power of the cook county board and mayor daley. Daley is Chicago, and Chicago is Cook, so Daley is Cook...
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to guess Midwest.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]

From what I understand (I think this was mentioned here recently), a LEO told me that "AR-15" are illegal in Cook. Now, I used AR-15 in quotes, because I'm being *very* specific here. Also, "Colt" if I recall correctly. Now, this same LEO and his son have S&W MP15 and MP15-22, which are legal because they are neither "Colt" nor "AR-15".

Check with your local law enforcement before taking something you read on the intarwebs as gospel

Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cook county has a ban on AR's It affects unincorporated cook county so the girl behind the counter would be correct. Also the 50 bmg is banned in Cook as well.

Link on that?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I will guess that it was Cabela's
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link on that?

Dude this is anciant new's.......Look on Cook county's web site. Don't believe the internet or I know a guy who know's a LEO who said that this or that is legal. For example both the Chief of police and my Village attorney are unaware of any ban's and qouted me State law and said no ban's on assault rifle's. Local LEO at the gun shop down the street say's only banned in unincorperated. Thats how come Cabella's can sell them in Cook. Confused yet?.........Belly up to the bar than and join the club. Here I know. You buy a Barret and an AR15. Move into cook county....Say schaumburg.......Or better yet closer to the city. Than invite the cop's over for coffee. Have your gun's in plain sight and let us know what happens
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link on that?

Dude this is anciant new's.......Look on Cook county's web site. Don't believe the internet or I know a guy who know's a LEO who said that this or that is legal. For example both the Chief of police and my Village attorney are unaware of any ban's and qouted me State law and said no ban's on assault rifle's. Local LEO at the gun shop down the street say's only banned in unincorperated. Thats how come Cabella's can sell them in Cook. Confused yet?.........Belly up to the bar than and join the club. Here I know. You buy a Barret and an AR15. Move into cook county....Say schaumburg.......Or better yet closer to the city. Than invite the cop's over for coffee. Have your gun's in plain sight and let us know what happens

So, no link then?
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link on that?

So, no link then?

I'll think about it
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:00:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Do they have a dog that walks around the shop at this place?  I was at this store about a weeks ago looking for rear sights for the AR, but the Hispanic salesman with the shaved head told me they don't tend to carry AR-15 products.

Now go buy the Barret!

Link Posted: 9/9/2009 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link on that?

So, no link then?

I'll think about it

Tell you what, you post a link to the law that says 50 caliber weapons are banned in Cook county (not Chicago) in the next 24 hours, and I'll buy you a team membership for a year.
Link Posted: 9/9/2009 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

You're talking about Midwest, right?

Midwest and a few other shops have been fighting the Daley lawsuit for probably 10 years now. I'm sure it has cost them tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars at this point. Those candybars you see everywhere help fund the suit, as do some of their events. The owners go to court semi-regularly.

And, of course, there is no reason for anyone working there to discuss the ins and outs of homerule to anybody coming in. Assuming that the employees are even capable of having that discussion, which many are not, why would they waste their time? Half the customers should not be allowed to exercise their God given unablienable rights and the 99% of the other half are so uninvolved in RKBA that you could tell them waterguns are NFA and they would believe you.

That said, buy the Barret.

Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:20:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From what I understand (I think this was mentioned here recently), a LEO told me that "AR-15" are illegal in Cook. Now, I used AR-15 in quotes, because I'm being *very* specific here. Also, "Colt" if I recall correctly. Now, this same LEO and his son have S&W MP15 and MP15-22, which are legal because they are neither "Colt" nor "AR-15".

Check with your local law enforcement before taking something you read on the intarwebs as gospel

The law is written so that COLT AR-15 is one thing, so for instance if you lived in a Homerule city you could have a Colt Hbar because it's not a Colt AR-15. On that note I don't think Colt marks any of there new stuff with AR-15
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The law is written so that COLT AR-15 is one thing, so for instance if you lived in a Homerule city you could have a Colt Hbar because it's not a Colt AR-15. On that note I don't think Colt marks any of there new stuff with AR-15

In a homerule city I believe you can own anything you want. I could be wrong, of course, and I'm not a lawyer and I can't read any of the legal stuff that gets posted routinely. So, take that for what it's worth - not much. But, I was disqualified from the Stroger suit because of where I lived.

I'm pretty sure ESwanson can clear up any of this stuff if he comes around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
http://www.isp.state.il.us/media/docdetails.cfm?DocID=544
I didnt see anything about no 50 cal
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Sounds like there was a County advisory referendum on the ballot in 2006, but that's as close as they got targeting .50 caliber specifically.  OTherwise, depending on the type of weapon, I suppose it might get caught in the "following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:" wording in the ban.

http://www.cookctyclerk.com/html/071206resdoc.htm

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED THAT:

Section 1.    The following question of public policy shall be submitted to the voters of this County as an advisory referendum at the general election scheduled for Tuesday, November 7, 2006, consistent with the applicable provisions of the Illinois Election Code; to wit;

“For the health and safety of children and the entire community, shall the State of Illinois enact a comprehensive ban on the manufacture, sale, delivery and possession of military-style assault weapons and .50 caliber rifles?”

Section 2.    This advisory referendum shall be conducted in accordance with provisions of the Illinois Election Code pertaining to the conduct of the general election scheduled for November 7, 2006.

Section 3.    This Resolution shall be in full force and effect upon its passage and approval.

Approved and adopted this 12th day of July 2006.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#19]
www.cookctyclerk.com/html/111406orddoc.htm........Barret has a semiauto with a barrel shroud and detachable magazine. I suppose you will disqualify me because you could own a single shot 50BMG. It's my understanding as stated before that this ban is only for unincorporated cook county. If your Village has homerule you may be exempt. You can check with local LEO or your village's attorny. I checked with both.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
www.cookctyclerk.com/html/111406orddoc.htm........Barret has a semiauto with a barrel shroud and detachable magazine. I suppose you will disqualify me because you could own a single shot 50BMG. It's my understanding as stated before that this ban is only for unincorporated cook county. If your Village has homerule you may be exempt. You can check with local LEO or your village's attorny. I checked with both.

Thankfully, there is no outright ban on the 50 caliber.  True, the Cook AWB includes many rifles (and handguns) by feature, but that does not mean there is a 5.56 ban or 7.62 ban.
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thankfully, there is no outright ban on the 50 caliber.  True, the Cook AWB includes many rifles (and handguns) by feature, but that does not mean there is a 5.56 ban or 7.62 ban.

So no membership
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 6:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]
The dog does great tricks at this place like turning the lights out. Other than that if all of you gave me the 4200.00 for the Barret I still would not buy it from these guys. Every time I buy a firearm I check their price first then go elsewhere just to laugh at how their prices are. Bought a Glock 27 for 50.00 cheaper at another store. Bought a Glock 22 about 9 years ago for 100.0 cheaper at another store. Bottom line is I don't think I can buy a firearm there. If I am wrong please tell me but there is always someone who is a ass behind the counter. It's like shopping at RGuns they just are not friendly. I feel that the gun community is a close nit group and we are all friendly to each other but when I go there they make you feel as if your wasting their time. Sorry for the rambling just getting it off my chest
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 7:05:55 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

The dog does great tricks at this place like turning the lights out. Other than that if all of you gave me the 4200.00 for the Barret I still would not buy it from these guys. Every time I buy a firearm I check their price first then go elsewhere just to laugh at how their prices are. Bought a Glock 27 for 50.00 cheaper at another store. Bought a Glock 22 about 9 years ago for 100.0 cheaper at another store. Bottom line is I don't think I can buy a firearm there. If I am wrong please tell me but there is always someone who is a ass behind the counter. It's like shopping at RGuns they just are not friendly. I feel that the gun community is a close nit group and we are all friendly to each other but when I go there they make you feel as if your wasting their time. Sorry for the rambling just getting it off my chest

I like the dog.   I've also never had a problem with the workers there not being friendly.  There's an older gentleman with glasses behind the counter who talked to me for about 10 minutes about his time in the military and the first time he ever came across an SKS rifle.  There's a younger girl there who has a pierced nose, I believe, who was really nice as well.  I used to stop in there about twice a month.  I don't think I've ever had anyone act rudely towards me there.  

Their prices are high, though.  You're spot on.

Link Posted: 9/11/2009 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
.50BMG is illegal in cook county right but why is it sold at Maxon's.  Maxon's is in Des Plaines and that is cook county.  I go there all the time.  Gat guns sells .50BMG but i know it's not cook county.  We all know Cook County has a been on AR15's but many people in Cook County own them anyways and still shoot at ranges like Maxons.  I don't think that law is truly enforced.  Many cops at Maxons don't even know or care about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:22:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
.50BMG is illegal in cook county right but why is it sold at Maxon's.  Maxon's is in Des Plaines and that is cook county.  I go there all the time.  Gat guns sells .50BMG but i know it's not cook county.  We all know Cook County has a been on AR15's but many people in Cook County own them anyways and still shoot at ranges like Maxons.  I don't think that law is truly enforced.  Many cops at Maxons don't even know or care about it.

My kids best friends dad is a Cook County sheriff. The guy next door is a Fed an Air Marshal attached to Homeland security. The local PD know's me on a first name basis.One of the pifall's of having teenage boy's. You have no idea the number of time's AR's come's up in normal conversation over beer's and these guy's could care less about King Dick Daley's stupid ass gun ban's. Hell when I go riding with some of these guy's and they find out I don't have a gun in my saddlebag. They are like WTF dude! Your with us moron. The ban's can be described as law's of convinance. As in that guy in that house is a drug dealer. How conviniant we can also add a gun charge.
Link Posted: 9/13/2009 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link on that?

So, no link then?

I'll think about it

Tell you what, you post a link to the law that says 50 caliber weapons are banned in Cook county (not Chicago) in the next 24 hours, and I'll buy you a team membership for a year.

It's okay man bought my own
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 6:14:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It's okay man bought my own

Hey!! Right on!

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Best 24 buck's I have spent in a while
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The ban has been updated:
ARTICLE VI.  ASSAULT WEAPONS BAN

Sec.  6-1.  Definitions.

As used in Article VI of this Ordinance, the following terms shall have the following meaning:

(a)  “Assault weapon" means

(1)        A semiautomatic rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and one or more of the following:

(A)       A pistol grip;

(B)       Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C)       A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;

(D)       A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel; or

(E)       A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator;

(2)               A semiautomatic pistol or any semi-automatic rifle that has a fixed magazine, that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

(3)               A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and has one or more of the following:

(A)       Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(B)       A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;

(C)       A shroud attached to the barrel, or that partially or completely encircles the barrel, allowing the bearer to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned, but excluding a slide that encloses the barrel;

(D)       A muzzle brake or muzzle compensator; or
(E)       The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

(4)        A semiautomatic shotgun that has one or more of the following:

(A)       A pistol grip;

(B)       Any feature capable of functioning as a protruding grip that can be held by the non-trigger hand;
(C)       A folding, telescoping or thumbhole stock;

(D)       A fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; or

(E)       An ability to accept a detachable magazine;
(5)        Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

(6)        Conversion kit, part or combination of parts, from which an assault weapon can be assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(7)        Shall include, but not be limited to, the models identified as follows:

(A)      The following rifles or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)         AK, AKM, AKS, AK-47, AK-74, ARM, MAK90, Misr, NHM 90, NHM 91, SA 85, SA 93, VEPR;

(ii)        AR-10;

(iii)       AR-15, Bushmaster XM15, Armalite M15, or Olympic Arms PCR;

(iv)       AR70;

(v)        Calico Liberty;

(vi)       Dragunov SVD Sniper Rifle or Dragunov SVU;

(vii)      Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FNC;

(viii)      Hi-Point Carbine;

(ix)       HK-91, HK-93, HK-94, or HK-PSG-1;

(x)        Kel-Tec Sub Rifle;

(xi)       M1 Carbine;

(xii)      Saiga;

(xiii)      SAR-8, SAR-4800;

(xiv)     SKS with detachable magazine;

(xv)      SLG 95;

(xvi)     SLR 95 or 96;

(xvii)     Steyr AUG;

(xviii)    Sturm, Ruger Mini-14;

(xix)     Tavor;

(xx)      Thompson 1927, Thompson M1, or Thompson 1927 Commando; or

(xxi)     Uzi, Galil and Uzi Sporter, Galil Sporter, or Galil Sniper Rifle (Galatz).

(B) The following pistols or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)         Calico M-110;

(ii)        MAC-10, MAC-11, or MPA3;

(iii)       Olympic Arms OA;

(iv)       TEC-9, TEC-DC9, TEC-22 Scorpion, or AB-10; or

(v)        Uzi.

(C) The following shotguns or copies or duplicates thereof:

(i)         Armscor 30 BG;

(ii)        SPAS 12 or LAW 12;

(iii)       Striker 12; or

(iv)       Streetsweeper.

(b) “Assault weapon” does not include any firearm that has been made permanently inoperable, or satisfies the definition of “antique firearm,” stated in this Ordinance, or weapons designed for Olympic target shooting events.

(c) “Detachable magazine” means any ammunition feeding device, the function of which is to deliver one or more ammunition cartridges into the firing chamber, which can be removed from the firearm without the use of any tool, including a bullet or ammunition cartridge.

(d) “Large capacity magazine” means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include the following:

(1)        a feeding device that has been permanently altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds.

(2)        A 22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device.

(3) A tubular magazine that is contained in a lever-action firearm.

(e) “Muzzle brake“ means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utilizes escaping gas to reduce recoil.
(f) “Muzzle compensator” means a device attached to the muzzle of a weapon that utlizies escaping gas to control muzzle movement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top