Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2009 1:11:57 PM EDT
Don't know that I'd call a potato cannon an explosive decide...

Man killed by homemade explosive device
Posted: Sep 08, 2009 7:28 AM CDT
Updated: Sep 08, 2009 2:45 PM CDT
DEKALB COUNTY (WREX) - A 43-year-old man was killed after a homemade explosive device exploded.

Dennis Haberstich died Sunday night at Kishwaukee Community Hospital after he was hurt when the device went off at the rural Kingston home he was staying at.

The device that killed him is commonly known as a potato cannon.

The accident remains under investigation by the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office and the DeKalb County Coroner's Office.
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Don't know that I'd call a potato cannon an explosive decide...

Man killed by homemade explosive device

Posted: Sep 08, 2009 7:28 AM CDT

Updated: Sep 08, 2009 2:45 PM CDT

DEKALB COUNTY (WREX) - A 43-year-old man was killed after a homemade explosive device exploded.

Dennis Haberstich died Sunday night at Kishwaukee Community Hospital after he was hurt when the device went off at the rural Kingston home he was staying at.

The device that killed him is commonly known as a potato cannon.

The accident remains under investigation by the DeKalb County Sheriff's Office and the DeKalb County Coroner's Office.

Depends on how it was built, and what the propellant was. As we all know, the media likes to blow these things out of proportion to sensationalize them.

I have a friend who is a master spudgun builder. I've seen him fire can's of chili through cars with his spud guns. So yes, if his exploded, I would consider it a "homemade explosive device". He can make calibers specific for AA batteries, Golf balls, C Cell batteries, canned food, tennis balls, softballs....you name it. And they have PLENTY of power if built up correctly.

Would make a neat zombie killer if they could be loaded more quickly. I have 100+ spent AA batteries for a future "spudgun"

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#2]
It was home made pipe bomb killed him.....My GF spoke to his mother in law today.
His mooch friend friend was building "something" .Stuffed a flare in a pipe full of gunpowder and broken up flares.
He stuffed a flare in the end or was stuffing more flare material in it. It went off shot across the room/house (?).Hit him in the head blew his face off and went into his brain
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:24:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
This is the cousin of my friend and she doesnt even know the whole story. She said her family was being very quiet about it. I will let her know what the GF said.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top