Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 6:40:06 AM EDT
For the past 7 years I've been going to Buffalo Range to get my outdoor shooting fix. I've always enjoyed the ROs and fellow shooters at Buffalo but with the price of gas and the 115 mile round trip ($22 worth of gas) it got to be too expensive to make as many trips there as I would like to.
So, I joined the ISRA and the ISRA shooting range which is located somewhere south of Custer Park, IL. and is a 72 mile round trip (about $14 in gas) from my house.
July 11th I went there for my orientation where they show you around the facility and run the rules and ettiquet down to you. I shot that day, shot once since then and plan to go today. I shoot 3 times a month so it should be cost effective for me.
They don't have a plinking pit or anywhere for pit type plinking but I rarely if ever visited the plinking pit at Buffalo spending my time at the 100 yard rifle range.
The ISRA facility is open to members 365 days a year 8:00am til dusk. They have 2 pistol/handgun ranges, separate 100 yard and 100 meter ranges and a separate 200 and 300 yard range where cease fires are not needed to check targets. Below is a pic of the 200/300yd range target area.......

Fires comes from the Right and over head.

Below is looking down range of the 200/300 yard rifle range. Those little square white things are lane numbers, just above them you can see light colored sand which is the impact area. The suspended rust colored wall is what they call the 'baffle' and is for keeping bullets from leaving the area when shot too high. Its a huge thing made from what looks like two 1/4" steel plates that are about 5" apart with gravel poured inbetween the plates all suspended 15-20' up and still people shoot it as well as the upright supports......

Prone & sitting position shooting is allowed. As far as I know standing offhand shooting not allowed. All the rifle ranges have dedicated concrete shooting benches and are rock solid. There are plenty of full sand bags for use.
Each range area has a small cinder block building called cooling/warming stations that are air conditioned in summer and heated in winter. The mens room has a nice shower if you want and I would assume the ladies room has the same.
Each range has plenty of room for guns & gear.

Below is the link......
www.isra.org/range/

Below is the link to the ISRA range phot gallery.....
www.isra.org/range/range_photo_gallery/

Shooting guests of members are welcome but as I understand a particular guest may visit the range as my guest only once a year. For example, I can bring my buddy Chris only once a year to shoot a pair of Garands. I can also bring my buddy Cody to shoot his .50 cal Beowolf AR once a year. I cannot bring either of them more than once per paid year.

Pics are from the ISRA Photo Gallery.

Check it out.
Angelo B.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Every Tuesday night I shoot half of a highpower match on the 200/300 range.  We shoot offhand and sitting from 200.  I believe that offhand is allowed at 200, but the baffles are set up in such a way that you can't shoot 300 offhand.  I think it is a great range an am considering joining.  It is about a 100 mile round trip for me though.

www.isra.org/tnirl/

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:13:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I joined X-Line gun club in Kakakee........About 7yrs ago...Just did'nt like shooting paper.!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top