Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/19/2007 4:55:44 AM EDT
I couldnt get off work....anyone get a deer this weekend?  How was the weather in Carrol county-Savanah area???   PICS!
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a nice sized buck.  Rack wasn't very wide or thick, but was a 6 point.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:04:25 AM EDT
[#2]
GJ Nate!

How about a pic thread?  Should we start one?  One for archery and one for gun?  Will we find ourselves under a Fudd/Fuddsympathizer ban?
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:29:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Got two this weekend. A doe on Friday with the shotgun and a 5 point buck with the .357 on Saturday. It was my first pistol deer.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a 8pt'r fair sized 136lb field dressed.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#5]
One of my nephews got a 10 pt. Don't know the weight.

He got it with a shotgun in Edgar county, west-southwest of Paris.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 2:14:12 PM EDT
[#7]
grumble grumble grumble

Saw 10 deer over the course of Saturday. Laid for 5 hours in tall grass near where they had been crossing a field all morning. I got fed up and left to back to the treestand about 300 yds away. Sat there for 5 minutes and watched 3 deer walk about 50 feet from where I had been laying down all afternoon.

Didnt see shit Sunday morning.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:25:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Think they smelt ya?
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 9:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Think they smelt ya?

Probably. They came up behind be and probably smelled me and stopped for a while. Then I got up and left, and they continued on their way. It was my first time ever deer hunting, I learned some things I guess.
Link Posted: 11/19/2007 10:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of the average to larger sized bucks were killed by disease.  We only hunted less than 1/2 of the ground as normal, due to everything being leased out.  My hunting group found 2 skulls/racks of decent sized bucks, and a friend of mine also found a skull/rack of a decent buck.

The weather was too nice here and the deer weren't moving much.
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 6:15:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I didn't go this year (haven't in many) but I was stupid enough to drive up to McMiller Sunday to shoot. I forgot Wisconshin shuts down for Deer Season. Not only did I waste my time going up there but I had to pee so bad when I pulled in I took a trek into the woods to take a leak and got busted by a State Forest Ranger. Cool kid, had a laugh about it but felt like a dumbass!
Link Posted: 11/20/2007 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I almost hit one on Saturday in Huntley in the Del Webb sub division at about Noon.  10 or 12 points and must have been 300 lbs.  'bout the biggest animal I've ever seen.  I'm out next weekend for my shot.
Link Posted: 11/21/2007 11:22:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Got one a couple weeks ago with my 1980 Dodge D150.
Link Posted: 11/22/2007 9:19:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Im curently at 3 right now this year.  2 archery and got a 7 point opening day of shotgun season at 9:30.  I hunted over in Cumebrland co. for shotgun season.  Going back next week to fill the doe permit.  Our camp got 3 bucks and 1 doe for shotgun season so far.  5,6,7 point bucks.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2007 9:03:58 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a nice doe friday afternoon and a small buck sunday. Father in law got a nice 7 point saturday. All done for the year.
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 5:31:21 AM EDT
[#16]
had a big 6er, a doe and two yearlings dead to rights but i passed 'em up.  i figured the buck might as well as grow and i can only fit one deer at a time in my deer cooler so since it's so early i let the doe go, plus she had those two yearlings(both of which were bucks).  i had a small 8 at a long shot but that was opening morning and i figured i'd wait and see what happens.  then on sun. night i saw a BIG buck come in about 300yds off right at sundown on the edge of a field.  i waited to see what he'd do, then i moved out and covered over 500yds to come in on him with the wind (and rain) in my favor at about 40yds-it was beautiful-friggin' textbook.  i found a hole in the grass i was standing in where i could see him.  i raised my gun, put him in my 3X9-40 tasco, slipped the safety off, pulled the slack out of the trigger and held....held.....held-then i put the gun down.  i grabbed my bincs and they wouldn't work-too dark.  i slid my scope up to 9-too dark.  i moved around, but i couldn't find another hole, so i came back to my original hole and repeated my procedure looking for something that could tell me what i was looking at.  i LITERALLY couldn't tell if i was looking at his ass, or his neck with his head down.  he was pointing my direction when i saw him initially but i couldn't tell for sure and i've always gone by "if i can't tell what the hell i'm shootin'-i ain't shootin' it."  and after desperatley moving around some more looking for something to tell me, he saw me-snorted and took off.  oh well, i've got all kinds of more time.  thing was-was i was still in legal hunting hours, but it was so overcast with the rain and all-it got too dark.  he was at least a 10 pointer, but i think he had two brow tines on top of that.  and my current big deer weighed out around 230 dressed and this brute was BIGGER.  it was the hardest thing i've ever done.  oh well, that's why they call it huntin' and not killin'.

jake

Link Posted: 11/24/2007 10:32:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i've always gone by "if i can't tell what the hell i'm shootin'-i ain't shootin' it."  

jake

You can be in my hunting camp any time.  I hunted in Wisconsin twice on public land, and both times we met people who shot at movement in the bushes.  It scares me to death.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 12:40:32 AM EDT
[#18]
We put 5 in the freezer; 2 8 point bucks; 1 spike buck, 1 button buck and a decent doe. We will eat good this winter.
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 4:39:32 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread is useless without PICS!!!!
Link Posted: 11/25/2007 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Got my first bow kill, a 4 pointer field dressed at 115lbs.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#21]
I spent three stinking days in WI (Northern) and did not even see one deer in the woods...oh there were plenty trying to get hit by my car on the way up and the way back...but none in my sights....

I did manage to catch a real bad cold though from sitting out in the woods for many hours...I am not bitter
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I got an 18 month old six point buck saturday, he was running and jumped the railroad ballast and embankments.

I had about a half second to raise the shotgun, and aim, I nailed him through the lungs even though there were many trees in the way.

I guess I still have some skills left.

I used XP3 300 grain slugs @2000fps, and they dropped him ASAP, he carried forward about 35 feet from his momemtum.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#23]
i hunted fri-sun.  i was in salem, il for fri and sat morning-saw NOTHING.  then went sat evening here outside of sangchris state park.  didn't see anything moving.  i said screw it sunday morning-too windy (slightly hung over-ssshhhhhh).  then went out sunday evening and ran out 6 ON THE WAY IN!!!!  i hadn't seen that many at one time all year.  so i got to my blind.  and hung out till sundown and decided "well, i'll take a walk and see if i can create a shot."  so i started stalkin' all hunched over and half assed slowly.  and i'll be damned if i didn't see a doe looking at me in the brush on my off side looking at me at 50yds.  i stopped and decided "screw it-you ain't gonna just forget about me and put your head down-you're gonna run in a second-if you're faster than me-you live."  i spun pulled up and fired.  the thing was i could'nt EXACTLY see the kill zone for the weeds, but i put together an educated guess.  i dropped her, she got up and took off.  i waited a sec or two, and went and checked where she was.  i gambled on rushing her because of the impending darkness.  sure enough i hit her.  and started tracking her.  i got 30yds and found her-dead in the bottom of a 6' ditch where the local farmer had just dug out a bunch of trees with a hoe and it rained all afternoon out there-OH GOODY!  then i got down and looked-she was a HE!  a young buck that barely had buttons showing.  oops.  thing is i let a 6 pointer go first season to let him grow out and here i took this button buck.  my bad.  anyway, i went up to the land owner's house (my buddy) and got his 4 wheeler, that made life fairly easy.  he's hangin out in my garage right now coolin' out.  just goes to show ya when you think something's easy it doesn't always turn out that way.

jake
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#24]
I got a doe and a button buck.  A good time was had by all in Effingham.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top