Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 8:24:33 AM EDT
Hi folks,

We are going to be zipping across your fair state from Ohio heading for Columbia, MO. I am CCW AOK in all states but Illinois. What are your rules on transporting a handgun. Locked case?  Glove compartment?  

Thanks in advance.

ONG
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Three statutory codes regulate the possession, transfer, and transportation of firearms- the Criminal Code, the Wildlife Code, and the Firearm Owner's Identification Act. Under Unlawful Use of Weapons (UUW) in the Criminal Code, persons who have been issued a valid FOID card may transport a firearm anywhere in their vehicle or on their person as long as the firearm is unloaded and enclosed in a case, firearm carrying box, shipping box, or other container. Firearms that are not immediately accessible or are broken down in a non-functioning state may also be carried or transported under the Criminal Code. The Wildlife Code, however, is more restrictive. It requires that all firearms transported in or on any vehicle be unloaded and in a case. Because of this, it is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, all firearms be transported:

1. Unloaded and,
2. Enclosed in a case, and
3. By persons who have a valid FOID card.

Source: Illinois State Police titled "Transport Your Gun Legally" - Commonly asked questions on transporting firearms. George H. Ryan, Governor; Illinois State Police, Sam W. Nolen, Director; Dept. of Natural Resources, Brent Manning, Director.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#2]
if out of state you do not need a valid foid card
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's what the law says:
1) Unloaded (no magazine in the gun)
2) In a case (or bag, etc.)

Here's what I would advise additionally:
1) Keep it out of immediate reach (trunk - way back of SUV)
2) Loaded magazines / ammo kept separate from firearm

Some cops (incorrectly) think that a loaded mag = Loaded gun according to IL law.  They're wrong, but they also have the power to arrest you

What I'd advise is to treat your CCW like a "Trunk Gun" if you want to stay legal.  Better yet, have a rifle trunk gun in addition to your CCW since pistols suck at killing bad guys.

For the record, if I was pulled over in IL., I don't think I would tell an officer that I had a gun in the car.  If you've got NRA, AR15 stickers and wear realtree everywhere, that's what law enforcement officers refer to as "A CLUE" that you have a gun somewhere in the car.  

Have a safe trip
Mike

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Good stuf guys, looks like my NRA sticker should come off.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:55:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I like to stay low-profile for the most part and be the "Gray Man"- especially in this state  Of course, depending on where you're located, realtree camo and NRA stickers would help you blend in with everyone else.  Then again, nobody is going to think you're CCW in a pink VW bug either - but we all have our limits

Take care,
Mike
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out www.isp.state.il.us/foid/firearmsfaq.cfm

If a non-resident is coming to Illinois to hunt and would like to bring their firearm, how do they legally transport it?

Non- residents must be legally eligible to possess or acquire firearms and ammunition in their state of residence. It is recommended that, in order to be in compliance with all statutes, non-residents transport all firearms:
Unloaded, and
Enclosed in a case, and
Not immediately accessible or broken down in a nonfunctioning state.

Is it legal to have ammunition in the case with the firearm?
Yes, so long as the firearm is unloaded and properly enclosed in a case.

I keep a firearm in my vehicle and keep a copy of the Illinois State Hunting regs (small game) with it. I have page 40 handwritten on the fron cover. On pages 40, it spell out that loaded magazines are legal and can be in the same case as long as the gun is unloaded, in a case, and I have a valid FOID.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Lots of folks around here have NRA stickers. Unless you're passing through Anti towns like Morton Gorve, Oak Park, Evanston or Willmette it shouldn't be a problem.

And there's a difference in dealing with ISP (tollways / Interstates) and local cops on local roads.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 5:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
The State Boys outside of the Chicago metro area usually are pretty reasonable.    Just watch for the construction zones, don't go more than 9 MPH over the limit and you should be fine.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Lots of folks around here have NRA stickers. Unless you're passing through Anti towns like Morton Gorve, Oak Park, Evanston or Willmette it shouldn't be a problem.

And there's a difference in dealing with ISP (tollways / Interstates) and local cops on local roads.

I agree that NRA stickers are pretty common across the US. They just let everyone know that you're a "gun guy" which, depending on jurisdiction, could be bad.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top