Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2006 9:12:28 AM EDT
www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-061229ohare-accident,1,5345504.story?coll=chi-news-hed

This happened last night while I was at work.  I heard some radio chatter about an "accident" which I thought involved one of the airline vehicles that tow around the mail.  I finished up what I was doing (because nobody sounded like it was serious) and headed outside about 8:30 (I got training in first aid and because I'm in maintenance, we're expected to respond to things like this).  Turns out a woman was hit by a semi truck.  By the time I got there, they had already taken the woman away.  My supervisor and another guy I work with saw her get taken away.  From what I gather, her entire abdomen was crushed by the wheels of the truck.  Also, by the time I got there, there were at least two different police agencies on scene (CPD and Aviation Police, I'm told that the Postal Police responded but I didn't see any).

I don't think I know who the driver is, but I might.  I am told he's 67 years old and was expected to retire this year.

Definitely a damn shame to have this happen.  It's amazing how long the investigation takes as well.  As I was leaving at 11:30, I had to let a Postal Inspector into the building.  There are a whole shithouse full of people handling the investigation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You will need to either register or already be registered for that website, so with that in mind:

login email:   [email protected]
password:   bugmenot
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 10:23:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Or we could just post the article here and be done with it.

The copyright violations be damned, I call it "fair use".

Postal truck kills guard at O'Hare

By Jason Meisner
Tribune staff reporter
Published December 29, 2006, 5:04 AM CST

A 51-year-old security guard was struck and killed by a postal truck near a loading dock at O'Hare International Airport, police said this morning.

The accident occurred about 8:20 p.m. Thursday on Express Center Drive, on the O'Hare grounds near the U.S Postal Service's International Service Center, according to police.

The victim, Erika Debeck, was working as a security guard for a firm near the accident site when the postal truck entered a loading dock area and struck her.

Debeck, of the 3200 block of North Cicero Avenue, was pronounced dead at 8:52 p.m. Thursday at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, according to a Cook County medical examiner's office spokesman. An autopsy was scheduled for later today.

Police Officer David Banks said the driver of the truck stopped at the scene. The death was being considered an accident and no charges were expected.

Detectives with the Major Accident Investigation Unit were still finalizing their reports this morning, and further details were unavailable.

Copyright © 2006, Chicago Tribune
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 2:17:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
www.chicagotribune.com/news/custom/newsroom/chi-061229ohare-accident,1,5345504.story?coll=chi-news-hed

This happened last night while I was at work.  I heard some radio chatter about an "accident" which I thought involved one of the airline vehicles that tow around the mail.  I finished up what I was doing (because nobody sounded like it was serious) and headed outside about 8:30 (I got training in first aid and because I'm in maintenance, we're expected to respond to things like this).  Turns out a woman was hit by a semi truck.  By the time I got there, they had already taken the woman away.  My supervisor and another guy I work with saw her get taken away.  From what I gather, her entire abdomen was crushed by the wheels of the truck.  Also, by the time I got there, there were at least two different police agencies on scene (CPD and Aviation Police, I'm told that the Postal Police responded but I didn't see any).

I don't think I know who the driver is, but I might.  I am told he's 67 years old and was expected to retire this year.

Definitely a damn shame to have this happen.  It's amazing how long the investigation takes as well.  As I was leaving at 11:30, I had to let a Postal Inspector into the building.  There are a whole shithouse full of people handling the investigation.

Maintenance is in charge of giving first aid to people who get hit by trucks? Shouldn't they call the Paramedics?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 5:24:53 AM EDT
[#4]
That is not a happy new year.  I hope she went quickly.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:14:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Maintenance is in charge of giving first aid to people who get hit by trucks? Shouldn't they call the Paramedics?

When I first heard the call, I didn't know exactly what happened.  Obviously there wouldn't have been anything I could do, even if I was right there when it happened.  The lady was crushed.

Maintenance is responsible for clearing the building if there is a fire and there are several people that they had certified in case anything happens.  We have a number of other bullshit duties that they think we're going to do if anything happens, but they're nuts, if there is a fire, I'm not only hitting the door, I might be hitting my truck and hitting the road.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 6:15:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is not a happy new year.  I hope she went quickly.  

She lived about 30 minutes after the incident, but from what I gather, she was totally out of it when the drivers put her in the ambulance.

There wasn't much blood at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top