Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 3:42:40 PM EDT
I have a friend that may be becoming a Chicago police officer.  Is there an exception in the municipal code to allow him to register his firearms, specifically, pistols, so if he gets the job, he can move to Chicago and register his pistols?

Apparently as part of the application process, they required serial numbers + numbers of every firearm.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, I seem to recall that the registrations are free for police officers too.

I would suggest he carefully reads all the ordinances here:  www.isp.state.il.us/docs/ordinances/chicago.pdf

Skimming it, it seems that he would have to register if he is going to reside in Chicago, otherwise he would be exempt.  If he resides in Chicago, I am not sure if he can personally have handguns or "assault weapons" (not owned by the department) just by virtue of the fact that he is a police officer.

He's probably best asking someone at the Department before he moves his possessions into Shitcago.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a friend that may be becoming a Chicago police officer.  Is there an exception in the municipal code to allow him to register his firearms, specifically, pistols, so if he gets the job, he can move to Chicago and register his pistols?

Apparently as part of the application process, they required serial numbers + numbers of every firearm.

Wait a sec...just to apply, he needs to give him the serial numbers from every firearm he has?

I think the letters F, O, A, and D would go in that block if I were filling it out, and I'd look somewhere else.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Wait a sec...just to apply, he needs to give him the serial numbers from every firearm he has?

I think the letters F, O, A, and D would go in that block if I were filling it out, and I'd look somewhere else.

Yes.  He only has two pistols, and he supplied the serial numbers to both of them.  I told him that I'd have walked out right there, but some people just don't understand, that isn't the type of information one should give to .gov.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Skimming it, it seems that he would have to register if he is going to reside in Chicago, otherwise he would be exempt.  If he resides in Chicago, I am not sure if he can personally have handguns or "assault weapons" (not owned by the department) just by virtue of the fact that he is a police officer.

He's probably best asking someone at the Department before he moves his possessions into Shitcago.

If he's an employee of the City of Chicago, he has to reside in the city.
The city investigates employees and fires them if they're not living in Chicago proper.  good times...  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If he's an employee of the City of Chicago, he has to reside in the city.
The city investigates employees and fires them if they're not living in Chicago proper.  good times...  

Yes, I'm aware.  That's why I'm asking about the firearms.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:15:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't have the telephone umber off hand, but the Chitown office that handles city firearms registrations will know for sure.
There is no reason to hesitate to call them (Unlike, say, the same office in NYC that is staffed by a bunch of anti-gun retards where you will be spoken to as if you were a criminal because you need to know how to register a firearm in the city)

The Officer I spoke with in the Chicago office was 100% pro-rights of honest people and sounded just as disgusted with the moronic City firearms laws as they pertain to honest citizens as you or I are with them. But in the end, he was the one who had to deliver the bad news about how crappy the gun situation is in the city limits. He even talked about certain personal gun related things he has wanted to buy but no one will ship to a Chicago address, so it's a PITA even for him as LE.

Yes, LE are able to posess handguns in the city proper but I don't know if this is restricted to handguns that are used in an official capacity or if they're allowed handguns beyond this. He did say that all handguns are restricted to LE "and only LE can register one".

But look on the bright side.
Since Chicago has outlawed handguns, that means there is no handgun crime there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top