Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:04:13 PM EDT
Interesting thread in GD got me thinking...

can an 18+ yr old buy a handgun FTF in IL?

Also, anyone have a Beretta M9 civi clone so I can prepare myself for PLC next summer?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:43:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I might be wrong, but I thought it is 21 for handguns and 18 for long guns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:19:25 AM EDT
[#2]
21 for handguns and beer. All you can do at 18 is elect a President or die for you country in combat. I'm way past 18 and 21 but these laws still disgust me.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Interesting thread in GD got me thinking...

can an 18+ yr old buy a handgun FTF in IL?

Also, anyone have a Beretta M9 civi clone so I can prepare myself for PLC next summer?  Thanks!

Hopefully by the time you go, the M9 will have met it's long awaited destiny in the crusher. The .45 ACP round has been decided upon once again by the government genuis squad, guess it was fine all along. Now they claim they just need to find a pistol  to fire the .45ACP cartridge
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:46:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I would much rather they put the old M9's into the CMP than crush them but you know that is just wishful thinking.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:45:30 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not a lawyer.

I don't play one on TV.

I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

The ISP website addresses this in the FAQ section of the website.

At what age can I purchase a long gun? Handgun?
In Illinois you must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a long gun and at least 21 years of age to purchase a handgun.  

This is what I've always thought, but this is just the FAQ, and it doesn't quote a law anywhere, so I'd probably try to find the source material if I were you before I took this at face value and gave up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:50:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I just heard a rumor in GD about tihs and was just making sure.   Someone said FTF is legal for 18+ in IL.  Nevermid then... carry on as usual.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:33:06 PM EDT
[#7]
IL Criminal Code

(720 ILCS 5/24‑3) (from Ch. 38, par. 24‑3)
   (Text of Section from P.A. 94‑6)
   Sec. 24‑3. Unlawful Sale of Firearms.
   (A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:
       (a) Sells or gives any firearm of a size which may

be concealed upon the person to any person under 18 years of age.
       (b) Sells or gives any firearm to a person under 21

years of age who has been convicted of a misdemeanor other than a traffic offense or adjudged delinquent.
       (c) Sells or gives any firearm to any narcotic

addict.
       (d) Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has

been convicted of a felony under the laws of this or any other jurisdiction.
       (e) Sells or gives any firearm to any person who has

been a patient in a mental hospital within the past 5 years.
       (f) Sells or gives any firearms to any person who is

mentally retarded.
       (g) Delivers any firearm of a size which may be

concealed upon the person, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of such firearm for at least 72 hours after application for its purchase has been made, or delivers any rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun gun or taser, incidental to a sale, without withholding delivery of such rifle, shotgun or other long gun, or a stun gun or taser for at least 24 hours after application for its purchase has been made. However, this paragraph (g) does not apply to: (1) the sale of a firearm to a law enforcement officer or a person who desires to purchase a firearm for use in promoting the public interest incident to his or her employment as a bank guard, armed truck guard, or other similar employment; (2) a mail order sale of a firearm to a nonresident of Illinois under which the firearm is mailed to a point outside the boundaries of Illinois; (3) the sale of a firearm to a nonresident of Illinois while at a firearm showing or display recognized by the Illinois Department of State Police; or (4) the sale of a firearm to a dealer licensed as a federal firearms dealer under Section 923 of the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 (18 U.S.C. 923).
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would much rather they put the old M9's into the CMP than crush them but you know that is just wishful thinking.

CMP can't sell handguns.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#9]
So it looks like you can buy FTF at 18... but you can't buy one from an FFL. (according to the cited Code above)

I'd always heard you could possess but not purchase a HG @ 18.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
So it looks like you can buy FTF at 18... but you can't buy one from an FFL. (according to the cited Code above)

I'd always heard you could possess but not purchase a HG @ 18.

CONFUSED!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#11]
(A) A person commits the offense of unlawful sale of firearms when he or she knowingly does any of the following:

There it is right there.

18 years old, just not from an FFL.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

There it is right there.

Anyone want to unload a pistol on me in that case?

By unload I mean sell, not shoot though... sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Hell, I think you have been shot down.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:56:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There it is right there.

Anyone want to unload a pistol on me in that case?

By unload I mean sell, not shoot though... sorry if I got anyone's hopes up!

Got a credit card or check card?

Build your own...
www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverter3.html

www.fcsutler.com/
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 11:45:58 AM EDT
[#15]
How about when a person under 18 receives a handgun from a deceased relative as part of a will?  The person under 18 also has had a foid for quite sometime.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:43:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
How about when a person under 18 receives a handgun from a deceased relative as part of a will?  The person under 18 also has had a foid for quite sometime.

Parent or legal guardian living in the house would need to get a FOID.
Under 18 still considered a minor and would need to be supervised handling firearms.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:46:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Parent or legal guardian living in the house would need to get a FOID.
Under 18 still considered a minor and would need to be supervised handling firearms.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV...
I was thinking about answering, who'd know?

My father passed away when I was 13. I inherited his Colt Series 70 Gov from him. A good family friend kept that gun and other guns for me till I was 21. As I get older I find time flys by. You (generally speaking) can wait a few years to buy a handgun, etc. if you are not old enough yet.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top