Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2005 10:42:19 PM EDT
Well, I saw something about the lack of gun topics in another thread, so I figured I'd share this one.

I already put one up in AR Discussions last week, but I realize that quite a few don't make it over that way, so I'll start this one.

$99-CMT upper
$120-CMT Bolt/carrier
$20-CMT charging handle
$285-Sabre Defence 1/7 Chrome-lined Mid-length barrel
$129-RRA lower (was $120, but I bought in-state)
$70-RRA stock
$50-RRA LPK
$4-Gapper for A2 grip
$100-ARMS #40 BUIS
$877

$1197, if you count the EOTech that I've had for a couple months.

Now onto the pics.

And an action pic from last week sometime with two birds in the air.

WIZZO

I'll get a "Family Pic" up tomorrow of my others.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:40:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Looking Good!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:07:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks great. Mid lenghts are the way to go.  Have have you been able to zero the arms 40? I had a similar set up and was not able to raise the front sight high enough to lower the poi. I ended up going with a rear sight that had an elevation adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks great. Mid lenghts are the way to go.  Have have you been able to zero the arms 40? I had a similar set up and was not able to raise the front sight high enough to lower the poi. I ended up going with a rear sight that had an elevation adjustment.

Yeah. The Sabre Defence barrel comes with an F marked FSB. This means that the machined flat where you adjust the front site is .040" higher than the average A2 front site. It's like this because the original flattops were too weak and when they added more material, they, in turn, raised the flattop rail .040" higher.

The F marked FSB compensates for this for flattops by putting the front site post higher as well. The problem starts when you use a flattop with an A2 front site. Since the A2 front site sits lower, your POI is going to be pretty high. What you could have done is bought a .040" taller front site post from Bushmaster for about $5 and your ARMS 40 would have zeroed correctly.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

The F marked FSB compensates for this for flattops by putting the front site post higher as well. The problem starts when you use a flattop with an A2 front site. Since the A2 front site sits lower, your POI is going to be pretty high. What you could have done is bought a .040" taller front site post from Bushmaster for about $5 and your ARMS 40 would have zeroed correctly.

That's what I ended up doing - they wanted me to sendmy rifle back, but for the $5.00 I got the taller front sight post, problem solved and I didn't have to go without my rifle while the "fixed" it.

This is a very nice looking rifle BTW! - It makes me want to build a Mid-Length.

I really wish I had all my parts together for this next build so I could think about planning the next one. I'd really like to build myself a mid-length after this next build, but then again I want to do an AR-Pistol, and I want the 6.5Grendel upper with the 28in barrel too, so I don't know what I want most, but seeing this makes me want to build the carbine first.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:31:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:55:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I did buy the taller front sight post from Bushmaster. I had to raise the sight past the "ears" on the front sight base to get it to zero. I decided to dial it back down and get a rear sight with an elevation adjustment.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Sweet gun.

Never cared for any color other than black until I saw your gun with green furniture.  

Now I know what my gun would look like in green,  and I like it!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/45Ron/DCP_0698.jpg
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:59:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Look at that corn
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:53:23 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Look at that corn

Yeah, the irrigator doesn't quite reach that far up the hill. That and couple with it that we're on a sand hill, the corn usually doesn't look great around there.

Cody, if ya run into trouble, let me know and I'll see if I can help.

As of the first of this year, I didn't think one way or another about Mid-lengths, but I got to fondle one or two at the Princeton gunshow, right after I bought the lower, and I was sold.

The middy idea has been percolating since then, and since I ended up with a few hundred dollars extra I hadn't planned for from my summer job, I decided to buy all the rest of the stuff to finish the lower off.

And on the green furniture, I just kinda decided to try something different. I REALLY like how it turned out, and I can't bring myself to take a can of spraypaint to anything yet.

Thanks for all the compliments.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:33:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I like it very much, and like the color!  w00t!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Look at that corn

Cripes, I thought that was really healthy soybeans at first!

I am green with envy at your middie.  I had a middie barrel on order from Giffman but got a refund after that whole mess.  Maybe someday I'll get another one, but for now it is just a plane jane carbine for me.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Just so ya'll know, the corn looks really short in the pic, but it is still up around 7-8 feet right there on the edge. Once you get out into the field a little more, especially under the irrigator, it's not bad.

Oh, and there are definitely some fields around here that are hurting badly. Mostly we have "Dry corners". The irrigator goes around in circles in a square field and leaves the corners dry. Those aren't looking good. Typical beans under irrigation right now are up to 3-3.5"; without irrigation they are lucky to get over 2" tall.

I wish we had more rain this summer

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Good job!  Nice rifle!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top