Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2005 12:49:00 AM EDT
Sorry this off gun topic
just wondering if any one here has been fined by the tollway in ERROR and then notice sent late and then they demand payment of triple the fine or loose drivers licence

i had to goto the tollway office to get this cleared up
and by their own admissions  ---   they are screwed up  !!

talk about   hiway robbery ! ! !
im wondering how many have just paid it

Link Posted: 2/26/2005 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#1]
What's a tollway?

Link Posted: 2/26/2005 7:13:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes but I was guilty. $0.50 + $20 for each infraction, cost me $61.50.

I refuse to buy an IPASS. Just wait till they start auto mailing out tickets for speeding. All they need is a transponder on every exit and entrance ramp.

Anyone see the sign over the tollway that says "IPASS unit must be mounted on the winsheild" ? What a bunch of crap!!

[tinfoil] If I do break down and buy one, I'm going to find a lead lined box to put it in! [/tinfoil]

Link Posted: 2/26/2005 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes but I was guilty. $0.50 + $20 for each infraction, cost me $61.50.

I refuse to buy an IPASS. Just wait till they start auto mailing out tickets for speeding. All they need is a transponder on every exit and entrance ramp.

Anyone see the sign over the tollway that says "IPASS unit must be mounted on the winsheild" ? What a bunch of crap!!

[tinfoil] If I do break down and buy one, I'm going to find a lead lined box to put it in! [/tinfoil]

Its not that bad...trust me, if they were going to track speeders, I'd have been arrested LONG time ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 9:36:35 AM EDT
[#4]
One day soon I be they're going to make IPASS mandatory for IL drivers.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 1:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
The whole tollway is bullshit.

It was a tempoarry situation that became permanent, and now they raise the tolls more?

Bunch of crap, if you ask me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 1:28:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I thought the tolls were  pre-emptive speeding fines.  So, they actually do something if you get off an exit and don't have "exact change"?
Link Posted: 2/26/2005 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#7]
the exit / unmanned tolls  is what did it to me
when you put money in and green lite dont lite up -------- surprise
you get a ticket at 20bux per

and NO im not goign to get an I-pass
i dont use the tollway that much ( and alot less now )
but i dont like them chargeing my credit card 40 bux

they only humor i get out of this whole thing
when the tollway legal dept. guy told me this same thing happens to 500- 600 people a day

THATS 500- 600 PEOPLE A DAY THAT WONT BE VOTING FOR BLAGOVICH !

Link Posted: 2/27/2005 2:39:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I met a guy at Camp Perry last year, told me that he got a speeding ticket on the Penn. Turnpike, because the time between toll booths was too short.  Just what he told me.

Blag would like that idea.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 5:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
That's happened before, also on OK turnpike.  Just wait another ten years when all cars will be GPS tracked, instant tickets.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 10:49:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I beat ya, 351 bucks in fines. The Thing is my IPASS was off/ not working... or so they say. Anyway with a shitstorm of bitching it was corrected and I just paid the actual tolls in the end.
Link Posted: 2/27/2005 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
One day soon I be they're going to make IPASS mandatory for IL drivers.

X-Ring!

Instant $$$ for them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:04:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Wow, I'm not a fan of the Tollways either, but this is WAY too much Black Helicopter paranoia.  As for myself, my I-Pass battery went dead and had no idea.  I always went thru the far left lanes in my travels where there is no light, not like off ramp ones.  Didn't know about it until I got my "8 toll violatations = 400 in fines plus tolls".  Of course I wasn't going to pay it and only a moron would.  Simple 5 minute phone call to have it all squared away and done.  With this, a little niceness goes a long way cause I'm sure they are screamed at all day long.  
Yes, Tollways are BS and I cring knowing they are getting my money.
Now to the whole "get you for speeding thing".  No. 1, they couldn't do this without much discussion and legislation.  No. 2, It would also be no suprise to the motoring public if they started to do it because there would have to be a huge campaign informing the public.  I don't believe it would ever happen because of adverse public opinion and I believe here people would protest using the roads.  Am I fan of the Tollways, hell no, do I have an I-Pass, yup, it is the easiest thing going if you have to travel these roads, am I paranoid about "future uses", no.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 7:56:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Wow, I'm not a fan of the Tollways either, but this is WAY too much Black Helicopter paranoia.  As for myself, my I-Pass battery went dead and had no idea.  I always went thru the far left lanes in my travels where there is no light, not like off ramp ones.  Didn't know about it until I got my "8 toll violatations = 400 in fines plus tolls".  Of course I wasn't going to pay it and only a moron would.  Simple 5 minute phone call to have it all squared away and done.  With this, a little niceness goes a long way cause I'm sure they are screamed at all day long.  
Now to the whole "get you for speeding thing".  No. 1, they couldn't do this without much discussion and legislation.  No. 2, It would also be no suprise to the motoring public if they started to do it because there would have to be a huge campaign informing the public.  I don't believe it would ever happen because of adverse public opinion and I believe here people would protest using the roads.  Am I fan of the Tollways, hell no, do I have an I-Pass, yup, it is the easiest thing going if you have to travel these roads, am I paranoid about "future uses", no.

I agree.  John Kerry, blago, and daley aren't magically hiding in my Ipass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I remember when the "temporary" tolls were started.  I told everyone I knew that they would never stop that influx of money and make them permanent.  Most told me I was being paranoid then too!
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Sure and they won't double the cost of each toll either!

The Toll Way system was supposed to be temporary. Now instead of getting $0.40 once or twice a day from users, they are getting $40 plus from everyone upfront and instantaneously!!! Where's the money going? The roads suck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#16]
My sister got a speeding ticket and a ticket for avoiding the toll.  Her speeding ticket was for going over the 15MPH limit through the actual toll.  She got out of the avoiding ticket but got a speeding ticket.  Gotta be aware if a ISP car is sitting on the other side of the toll building on the ramp to get on the tollway.  Think about how fast you go over through the toll.  I go the limit now and have almost been hit a dozen times.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

IIRC, they're already doing this in New York.

As far as the publicity, I think it would fall under the same category as the cameras for red light runners in Crook County. A blurb in the papers, and we'll still bust plenty of people.

As far as the legislation, don't hold your breath that it would be required. Speeding is already against the law--it's just a matter of novel enforcement methods.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 5:12:05 AM EDT
[#18]
This is from the perspective of me as a Police Officer.

As far as the publicity, I think it would fall under the same category as the cameras for red light runners in Crook County. A blurb in the papers, and we'll still bust plenty of people
Trust me, the publicity and news surrounding this would be huge.  First off, the cameras are not wide spread at all, and the intersections that have them have signs stating the intersection is being monitored.  If you are talking about the I-Pass system itself being used for enforcement, then yes, I believe the buzz around this would be huge because this is not what the system itself was implimented to do.  There are 2 ways it could be done.  Either clock your speed going thru the Pass, in which case, slow down.  The second would be timing your speed from point A to B.  From booth to booth.  In this case it is very easy.  First toll toss in your change and pull I-pass off windshield so there is no reading.  Next I-Pass run thru it like you normally would.  Just my .02 cents.  If it ever came to this, I would protest these roads as much as possible, but some days there would be no avoiding it so you would have to play the game.
Link Posted: 3/1/2005 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I know Indiana used to do the "drive to the toll plaza not too fast or you get a ticket and they make you sit" thing.  I don't know if they still do it or not.  
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Just spend the 40 bucks and get an I PASS
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:59:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Just stay away from that shit hole city
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 2:15:42 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Just stay away from that shit hole city

the toll way does no go thru the city
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top