Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2003 6:30:54 PM EDT
I stopped at a gunshop in Du Page County that I have never been to before.  He told me that approximately 2 yrs ago, a law was passed that nobody could legally own an AR in Cook County.

This is not true is it?  I know you can't have most guns in the city of Chicago but I never heard that about Cook County.

Rebel 13
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 10:57:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I stopped at a gunshop in Du Page County that I have never been to before.  He told me that approximately 2 yrs ago, a law was passed that nobody could legally own an AR in Cook County.

This is not true is it?  I know you can't have most guns in the city of Chicago but I never heard that about Cook County.

Rebel 13

That law was passed more like 20 years ago. The law is exactly what you asked AR-15 which means the Colt AR-15. The law only applies if the lower is stamped AR-15. Bushy's, Oly, RRA are all ok. AK's and FAL's are out. See what happens when a bunch of liberal women from Chicago look through the gun bible and pick out things that look scary? I'd take a Bushmaster over a Colt any day anyway.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 12:49:05 PM EDT
[#2]
REBEL,
First, AR15 is a generic name. You can have legal to own semi-auto civilian models of AR15 style rifles and then there is full-auto/burst law-enforcement/military models.
If you just asking if an AR15, meaning any brand of SEMI-AUTO, post-ban or pre-ban AR15 style of rifle, whether it is Colt, ArmaLite, Bushmaster, RRA, etc, is legal to own in Cook county, the answer is YES, BUT different rules apply to the city of Chicago.
I live in Cook county, I legally own an ArmaLite M15A2 and a RRA LAR-15 carbine. Both AR15 rifles.
Currently, except for certain cities such as Chicago, there is no rules to own any type of rifle or handgun as long as it doesn't have full-auto or burst and it applies with current federal laws. Unless you are a dealer with an FFL.
Pre-ban hi-cap magazines are also allowed in Cook county as well as rest of IL.
As long as you have a FOID card, you'll be okay.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:05:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The Cav-15 in my safe should mean that it's legal.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 12:34:14 PM EDT
[#4]
They are illegal in the city of Chicago.  The possession of AR's was even prohibited for police officers (I know this because I was told this by a police officer).  There is no grandfather clause in the city of Chicago.  The new law went into effect on May 1 2002.

www.cityofchicago.org/cp/AboutCPD/PressReleases/PressReleases02/PR020408.html
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I do believe Cook County has enacted a ban similar to the Federal ban.
Link Posted: 10/3/2003 6:58:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
They are illegal in the city of Chicago.  The possession of AR's was even prohibited for police officers (I know this because I was told this by a police officer).  There is no grandfather clause in the city of Chicago.  The new law went into effect on May 1 2002.

www.cityofchicago.org/cp/AboutCPD/PressReleases/PressReleases02/PR020408.html

Do you always believe what a cop tells you? FYI: sometimes they are wrong, which is why we have the court system. You can find MANY threads on this site where you will see that some cops don't know gun laws, and some do...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top