Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2011 12:42:03 PM EDT
I'm thinking about trying one of these out to see if I like it. I finally have a handgun that I can shoot well and is reliable to boot. I've read about the differences between the two organizations and maybe I'll give them both a try. Any of you guys attend these matches? Care to share your thoughts?

I've got a Kimber Desert Warrior with a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Still need to get a couple mag holders.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I used to shoot a lot of both disciplines back in '04-'05 and I'm starting to shoot matches again.  Both are quite a bit of fun but make no mistake... both are games.  Those who believe IDPA is more "tactical" than USPSA need to really assess what tactical really is.  

I like the fact that I can formulate my own plan on how to approach a stage in USPSA rather than have it dictated to me.  The combining the mental aspect and putting it into physical practice and executing the plan exactly as you had hoped are what is truly fun about competitive shooting.  

If you have any questions about the specific disciplines feel free to give a me a shout and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Thanks Eddie, I hear you that's they aren't "tactical", they are games. That's what I'm looking for really, just get out and shoot and have fun. I'm guessing that my gear would be usable for either IDPA or USPSA given the proper class category?
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:22:02 PM EDT
[#3]
You should show up at a match and check it out.  Both are fun, but they are very different in their approach to competition.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 3:35:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Sort of...  What type of gun do you plan on competing with?  I shoot production in USPSA with a stock Glock 34, Comp Tac holster, Safariland ALS/ELS belt set up, and 6 spare mag pouches (only allowed to load to 10 rounds for the class).  I shoot Stock Service Pistol in IDPA with the same gun or a G17 in a Comp Tac holster with a Wilderness riggers belt and two Comp Tac spare mag pouches, and a 5.11 vest as a concealment garment.  These classes allow me to compete with a platform that doesn't cost a ton of cash to run and mimics what I carry daily.

It's a Kimber Desert Warrior with a Blackhawk Serpa holster. Basically a full frame 1911.
Link Posted: 3/8/2011 7:39:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 7:57:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:04:06 AM EDT
[#8]
So I'm guessing that for IDPA you have to have your CCW for that particular firearm in order to participate? I haven't qualified on the 1911 yet, I don't really plan to carry it, but I think it would make a great competition gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad this thread came about. I want to try the IDPA as well, someday.
Who's Eddie ??
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 7:04:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Glad this thread came about. I want to try the IDPA as well, someday.
Who's Eddie ??

Lol, my bad. Thanks Ernie for being gracious enough not to point out my typo.
Link Posted: 3/11/2011 6:43:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Had a good time today, good to see you Ernie!

Everything went well until my rear sight fell off my 1911 in the middle of my last stage.

That didn't help me too much in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:30:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:51:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Yea EB, that stage in addition to that steel not dropping would have placed the match win in your court.

SD
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top