Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/31/2009 6:05:29 PM EDT
Saw some guys shooting at it today, white caddilac in the little bowl section. I hate seeing that shit in the desert but it looks and sounds cool when rounds are cutting through it. Have at it before its gone.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:52:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Shooting into a car, occupied or not, is a felony in Nevada, FYI.  Obviously its up to the LEO that catches you, but I for one would rather not even invite the potential problems.
Link Posted: 10/31/2009 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#2]
there was some dude sleeping in it the other day....

speaking of that place it is legal/not legal to shoot there or is it a grey area on boundries?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Shooting into a car, occupied or not, is a felony in Nevada, FYI. Obviously its up to the LEO that catches you, but I for one would rather not even invite the potential problems.

Do you have the NRS for that?
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Shooting into a car, occupied or not, is a felony in Nevada, FYI. Obviously its up to the LEO that catches you, but I for one would rather not even invite the potential problems.
I wondered about that.  About a year ago, I was out 4 wheeling off of the kyle canyon road up a dirt road scouting for mountain biking trails and I found an area that people had obviously been shooting.  There was several old pieces of equipement, and old 18 wheeler trailer that was all shot up, etc.  There was also an abandoned junk car that had been shot up but not as much as the other crap out there indicating that it had not been there all that long.  I was back the next week to Mt bike and passed a metro guy in an SUV that looked like he was taking forensic evidence from the car.  I waved but never asked why he was doing that.  Maybe he was trying to find out who was shooting the car up.  I never knew that was illegal.  

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 5:56:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wondered about that.  About a year ago, I was out 4 wheeling off of the kyle canyon road up a dirt road scouting for mountain biking trails and I found an area that people had obviously been shooting.  There was several old pieces of equipement, and old 18 wheeler trailer that was all shot up, etc.  There was also an abandoned junk car that had been shot up but not as much as the other crap out there indicating that it had not been there all that long.  I was back the next week to Mt bike and passed a metro guy in an SUV that looked like he was taking forensic evidence from the car.  I waved but never asked why he was doing that.  Maybe he was trying to find out who was shooting the car up.  I never knew that was illegal.  

You think they passed that law to go after folks shooting old abandoned auto's and they would actually spend time trying to process the vehicle for ballistic evidence?

I would lean towards the idea that this law was put in place to give LEO's ammo against bangers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Do you have the NRS for that?

I do not, however I was informed of the law by the gentleman who taught my CCW class, and he is a long time Sheriff's Deputy in Lyon County.  He said that it was inacted to help crack down on drive by shootings.  Its not really intended for abandoned vehicles, but the NRS is not specific about the vehicle's occupancy.  So like I said, just be an informed shooter.

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
NRS 202.285  Discharging firearm at or into structure, vehicle, aircraft or watercraft; penalties.

nrs link

i was thinking of another car with someone in it... saw it today

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Looks like jason_m beat me to the punch.

Anyway,

This is not legal advice. Just a posting of NRS (202.285/202.287)....

It appears that in NRS 202.287,  paragraph 3 (c), the statute exempts firearms training schools and legitimate businesses.

NRS 202.285  Discharging firearm at or into structure, vehicle, aircraft or watercraft; penalties.

1.  A person who willfully and maliciously discharges a firearm at or into any house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other building, tent, vessel, aircraft, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, railroad locomotive, car or tender:

(a) If it has been abandoned, is guilty of a misdemeanor unless a greater penalty is provided in NRS 202.287.

(b) If it is occupied, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 6 years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both fine and imprisonment.

2.  Whenever a firearm is so discharged at or into any vessel, aircraft, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, railroad locomotive, car or tender, in motion or at rest, and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the vessel, aircraft, vehicle, vehicle trailer, semitrailer or house trailer, locomotive or railroad car may have run on the trip during which the firearm was discharged at or into it.

(Added to NRS by 1979, 157; A 1989, 1240; 1995, 1206)

NRS 202.287 Discharging firearm within or from structure or vehicle; penalties.

1.  A person who is in, on or under a structure or vehicle and who maliciously or wantonly discharges or maliciously or wantonly causes to be discharged a firearm within or from the structure or vehicle:

(a) If the structure or vehicle is not within an area designated by city or county ordinance as a populated area for the purpose of prohibiting the discharge of weapons, is guilty of a misdemeanor.

(b) If the structure or vehicle is within an area designated by city or county ordinance as a populated area for the purpose of prohibiting the discharge of weapons, is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 2 years and a maximum term of not more than 15 years, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both fine and imprisonment.

2.  If a firearm is discharged within or out of any vehicle that is in motion or at rest and it cannot with reasonable certainty be ascertained in what county the crime was committed, the offender may be arrested and tried in any county through which the vehicle may have run on the trip during which the firearm was discharged.

3.  The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(a) A person who lawfully shoots at a game mammal or game bird pursuant to subsection 2 of NRS 503.010.

(b) A peace officer while engaged in the performance of his official duties.

(c) A person who discharges a firearm in a lawful manner and in the course of a lawful business, event or activity.

4.  As used in this section:

(a) “Structure” means any temporary or permanent structure, including, but not limited to, any tent, house, room, apartment, tenement, shop, warehouse, store, mill, barn, stable, outhouse or other building.

(b) “Vehicle” means any motor vehicle or trailer designed for use with a motor vehicle, whether or not it is self-propelled, operated on rails or propelled by electric power obtained from overhead wires.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 1239; A 1993, 2774; 1995, 1152, 1207, 2403, 2409; 2003, 987)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
So it's a misdemeanor, correct?

(assuming you're are in a legal area, and the object is abandoned.)
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So it's a misdemeanor, correct?

(assuming you're are in a legal area, and the object is abandoned.)

I can't say for sure Darcy,

All I can say is read the statute and if you are unsure, consult an attorney.

It appears from what I read that shooting at a burned-out hulk in the desert can be construed as shooting into a vehicle. I know it sounds stupid, but if that is statute it is the law and a LEO can cite/arrest.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe

Link Posted: 11/1/2009 11:47:02 PM EDT
[#11]
car looked to be in the mid 90's

still had a question reguarding the area? legal to shoot or not
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:24:24 AM EDT
[#12]
This link may help you to determine whether the area you're talking about is ok to shoot.

http://www.blm.gov/nv/st/en/fo/lvfo/blm_programs/lvfo_recreation/target_shooting_and.html

Read this page and also view the Las Vegas closure map at the top of the page. You'll find that people here may be reluctant to tell you "Yes you are legal to shoot there" because nobody wants to be responsible for you in the slightest way if you get picked up for shooting where it's not legal. I will say that I know the area that you are referring to and I never shoot in the "pit" area because it's too close to the roadway for my liking. I want to be waaaaay past 1000 feet to remove all doubt. Obviously, a LOT of people shoot there every weekend so that may tell you something.  Personally, If I were to shoot there, I'd drive farther back and find an area farther from the roadway.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 7:50:40 AM EDT
[#13]
Cool.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/2/2009 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
car looked to be in the mid 90's

still had a question reguarding the area? legal to shoot or not

I'll just say that every other weekend I have gone, the BLM rangers are out on patrol. I wave and they wave back. As for that pit area, I don't think I'll be shooting there on weekends anymore. Had to stop firing a few times because of the dipshits on dirt bikes riding on top of the berm. Of all of the places in the desert to ride, they choose a known shooting area to do so . Have fun and be safe, just do your part and pack out what you brought in.

Link Posted: 11/2/2009 4:22:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top