Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2007 4:47:57 AM EDT
Knee jerk or last straw...I'm not sure but in any event, a friend of mine who is a middle aged single lady, lives two doors down from the home invasion yesterday (LV). She has mentioned before about getting a pistol and now she is really driven, and she has asked me to help her.

I have agreed but ONLY if she gets training and receives her CCW (Joe, you listening?). First she needs to invest in a firearm, and thus the question...

What is a good pistol for a woman, easy to carry and conceal and won't cost a thousand dollars.

Suggestions??
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Also aside from fitting the hand, she should be able to reach and operate the controls.  When i was a counter-man at a local fun store it was also important to make sure that the person could run the slide as well, something that most had difficulty with when it came to the compact guns.  In addition, most had difficulty with the heavy trigger of a double action revolver or the first round of an auto.

D
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:58:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I took my wife for her first shooting a while back. I let her shoot my Springfield EMP (9mm) and Springfield XD9 SubCompact (9mm). She didn't like either. She said she feels like she will drop the firearm. So we rented a Full Size revolver in .22 caliber. She liked it and she felt comfortable with it.

Now, I am trying to decide to get either S&W 317 (J Frame) in .22 caliber or a Walther P22 for my wife. I know they are different guns (revolver vs. semi). Their features are entirely different. I am leaning towards the revolver for easier operation.

You have to take your friend shoot different guns and different calibers to find out what she will be comfortable with.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:14:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Nevada1,

There is a lot of good advice in this thread.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Sig P239
2. SigP232 (Stainless)
3. Glock 19/26
4. H+K USP Compact
5. H+K P2000
6. Springfield XD Compact
7. Springfield XD Sub-Compact
8. Kahr Arms CW Seies
9. Kahr Arms P Series

I suggest 9mm for the caliber in the above models (except the P232 which is a .380), and I would stay away from revolvers and small, cute pocket pistols. Also, night sights are a must for any carry gun.

Hope this helps.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:59:47 PM EDT
[#4]
If she isn't going to stick to continous training then she would be best to stay clear of any Semi auto and stick with a revolver.  

John P..
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If she isn't going to stick to continous training then she would be best to stay clear of any Semi auto and stick with a revolver.  

John P..

No gun would be good for her if she's not going to train.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 6:47:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Chiz45,

I am at work open to close Wed thru Sat.  I instruct the first half of thursday so I am not on the sales floor until noon.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:22:07 PM EDT
[#7]
If she is interested in Home Defense, don't overlook a smaller shotgun. Say a 20gauge. Mossberg and Remmington both make 'junior' models, for smaller folks (kids/ boys) and the right shot in 20gauge will do considerable damage.
If she is looking to carry, the S&W 5 shot .38 revolver 'Lady Smith' I belive they call it, is hard to beat. Light, Small and Cheap. Always goes 'bang' and can shoot from a purse or pocket, does not need to have the action pulled to ready-fire, like a semi-auto.
My 2 cents officially in the hat.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Nevada1,

Like Joe said, alot of good advice here.

I would also recommend having her rent a few guns and see which one she likes.
when I was a counterman, for a first gun I would suggest a revolver for ease of operation, also in the middle of the night if the gun went "click"all you have to do is squeeze the trigger again. not so for a semi auto.

She also has to come to grips with the realization she may have to take a human life, while to some it's not a hard choice, but to others it could mean the difference between life and death. sometimes it's more a knee jerk reaction to crime in the area then anything else.

you should stress to her she must go shooting with it to stay current and to feel comfortable with the recoil and noise.

good luck.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:13:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am going to recommend to her that she rent some of your recommendations before committing to anything.

I'm with you on training and it must also be ongoing. It should not be just how to handle the firearm, but needs to condition the mind on how you will react. I think that is easier said than done for some people. One needs to understand that you are YOU are your first line of defense.

Which reminds me...I missed out on the "Draw from the Holster" class. Keep me on your mailing list Joe...
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:56:58 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 for the revolver.  Training can't be stressed enough, but unless she's wants to get to a point where an auto is second nature, the revolver is a winner.  I carry a Glock.  My wife carries a .38.  I never have to worry whether or not her gun will jam, mag not lock, she rolls with the recoil, etc.  I've trained many people to shoot over the years and always start with a wheel gun.  No safety, no jams, no problems.

Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:13:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Kahr K9.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top