Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2006 8:15:19 PM EDT
Anyone in LV do AK builds or have a press?  I need a barrel pressed back into an AKM trunnion after I finish riveting.  Will gladly pay, swap other gunsmithing, whatever.  
Link Posted: 10/19/2006 9:44:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Anyone in LV do AK builds or have a press?  I need a barrel pressed back into an AKM trunnion after I finish riveting.  Will gladly pay, swap other gunsmithing, whatever.  

Have you tried the frozen barrel/hot trunion trick? We have put in quite a few barrels and we use this method:

- get some dry ice and freeze the chamber end of your barrel for a couple of hours

- get som MAP gas and heat up the trunion

- keep a punch nearby with a friend. you want to push the punch through the barrel pin hole until it aligns the barrel for you. Do not use a straight puncn but one that tapers.

- be REALLY fast with somebody holding the receiver straight up and  you shoving the barrel in. as soon as you get it about the right depth, use the punch to align it. we have done this MANY times with great results. If all else fails, give me a call and you can use the press

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I did that on the one milled build I did.  I put the barrel in the freezer and the receiver in the oven.  On a dry-run before actually putting the barrel in I found that the barrel shrunk .001 and the receiver expanded .001.  

Only problem is I needed four arms and only had two.  The milled receiver was also easier to pound the barrel into.  I used a piece of oak wood on the barrel muzzle and a large sledge hammer.  

I may try it again and I may farm it out.  I found someone who will do the riveting and barrel pressing for $100.  Only problem is I have three to do but I hate to start buying tools and I don't have a press.  

Always rather do it myself and do it right though.  

I had thought of the tapered punch but haven't tried that yet as my milled was not drilled.  Glad to hear it works ok.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:23:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to send you an IM with some info but you don't accept IM's

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I will change that.  I don't always check the boards so I prefer e-mail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top