Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 9:15:19 PM EDT
He was reaching into a bush to get some trash, when something bit him. I didn't see it, but it was described as two puncture wounds. ANimal control came out, and no luck finding the snake

This happened in downtown Vegas.

8/24/06 ETA: He came to work on Wednesday, but left early and didn't show yesterday. He's still sick, and the area around the wound is still very painful/sore. I saw the bite marks, about 3/4" of an inch apart. Does this sound like a normal course for snake bites?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Dayumn...I've seen a lot of wacky stuff downtown, but never a snake. Ouch.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:31:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope your guy will be Ok.

I have been finding a lot of Scorpions in my house lately. Actually, my cats have been on patrol and they let me know when they find them.

I noticed that the Scorpions like to hang upside down on the ceiling and behind boxes and stuff. Pretty scary, huh?

Thank goodness for my two hunting Felines!

Snakes..... Now that's another story.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:57:35 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I have been finding a lot of Scorpions in my house lately. Actually, my cats have been on patrol and they let me know when they find them.

I noticed that the Scorpions like to hang upside down on the ceiling and behind boxes and stuff. Pretty scary, huh?

Crazy man. I've never seen scorpions around Vegas. Wonder why. I get out a lot too... but the last place I'd expect to see one is in my house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:09:26 AM EDT
[#4]
chiz

I heard that call come over the radio.  I like to work snake calls, but I was up west working.  Sorry about your worker.  And too bad my co-worker could not find the snake.

Reddobie
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
ANimal control came out, and no luck finding the snake
This happened in downtown Vegas.

The snake is probably at 30,000' right now chasing Samuel L Jackson.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:11:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
chiz

I heard that call come over the radio.  I like to work snake calls, but I was up west working.  Sorry about your worker.  And too bad my co-worker could not find the snake.

Reddobie

To AC's credit,  the officer beat them bushes for quite a while before giving up There are many bushes out there, and the Texas Ranger (?) that it was hiding in was pretty huge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Are you sure it wasnt a Vegas politician.....those nasty vipers hang out where you least expect them. Wish they would have an open season on politicians and lawyers....the lawyer would defend the rattle snake (politicians) and make it your fault.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Are you sure it wasnt a Vegas politician.....those nasty vipers hang out where you least expect them. Wish they would have an open season on politicians and lawyers....the lawyer would defend the rattle snake (politicians) and make it your fault.

That's so true!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's so true!

No, no you guys, the Vegas politicians swallow the pink trouser snake
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:30:23 PM EDT
[#11]
I like to think I'm tough and brave and all that crap, but I'd freak the f$%^ out if I found scorpion in my house!!!!!!!  I'd be running like a little girl!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:44:42 PM EDT
[#12]
chiz, how is the worker?  Did his hand get big?

Reddobie
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I ran a Bark Scorpion "Attack" yesterday.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#14]
We get loads of Bark Scorpions in and around our house, fingers crossed not so many in the house now but still the odd one.

We have noted they are allergic to shoes
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:37:02 PM EDT
[#15]
?

They LOVE shoes!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
We get loads of Bark Scorpions in and around our house, fingers crossed not so many in the house now but still the odd one.

We have noted they are allergic to shoes

I got stung in the toe by one of those once, and it hurt like a motherfucker for a good while.  Way worse than a yellowjacket.  I think the one that stung me just nicked me too - not a full envenomation.  The sting really isn't something to laugh about, as it can be very dangerous for children, the elderly, and those in poor health.  It doesn't seem to hurt cats and dogs much fortunately, and cats seem to enjoy hunting/killing them.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I can't believe you would talk so bad about politicians...... especially when lawyers are the true scum!!!

Do we need to list examples of lawyer scum

If a snake bit a lawyer, would we call that snake a cannibal then?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#18]
We got a cat for the express purpose of scorpion erradication
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:48:35 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
chiz, how is the worker?  Did his hand get big?

Reddobie

No idea, he didn't come in to work yesterday, the bastid! I sure would like to know though, eight years there, and this is the first true worker's comp injury!

Quoted:

I can't believe you would talk so bad about politicians...... especially when lawyers are the true scum!!!

Do we need to list examples of lawyer scum

If a snake bit a lawyer, would we call that snake a cannibal then?

Bottomfeeders are NOT snakes, thanks

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:10:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crazy man. I've never seen scorpions around Vegas. Wonder why. I get out a lot too... but the last place I'd expect to see one is in my house.

When I was a kid, we would find scorpions under every other rock around Vegas.  We could collect dozens of them in an hour if we wanted.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#21]
god dammed...scorpions and rattle snakes all over the place.....I knew there was a reason I didnt like Vegas...shit were in paradise up north only have the dreaded politician and lawyer (most all politicians are lawyers)...so we start with the lawyers and finish off with the politicians, what a great day that would be.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Enough picking on lawyers. Don't make me  

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Chiz....

I can't believe that.. your legal assistant bitten by ANOTHER attorney? What is this world coming to

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

UHHHHHHHHH...now your not a lawyer are you??? Related to one?????????
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:47:12 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but someone here is....
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#26]
You guys would shit if you saw some of the scorpions I ran across in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.  I found one hanging out under a jersey barrier that was at least 4 inches long head to tail.  When we got bored we would catch camel spiders and scorpions and pit them against each other in fights that the scorpions would always win.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but someone here is....

Well that a personal problem.....no one made him do it LOL
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#28]
lawyers suck
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree...

So tell me about law school.  I want to move to the "cool" side of town
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:32:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Slowly backs out of thread...  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Slowly backs out of thread...  

LOL...hang in there and give them hell, tuff up girl
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:40:38 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I agree...

So tell me about law school.  I want to move to the "cool" side of town

seriously?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:41:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure.  I'm open to career suggestions these days.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:57:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Sure.  I'm open to career suggestions these days.

Check out UNLV's Boyd Law School. My wife is studying for the LSAT's right now. She graduated from UNLV in 1996 but had to cut her education short at that time because Andrew was already 6 and then...... THEN.. Booboo was conceived. I don't know how that happened but I had to finish school and she had to get a job.

Fast forward 9 years and our 4th child is about to start kindergarden. She wants to pursue her original goal of law school and UNLV schedule offers a lot of flexibility. You can get a law degree at UNLV for about $26,000 from what I understand. Much cheaper than my $100,000+

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#35]
UNLV's law school is not easy to get in to. They are becoming more picky and screening better. References and hook ups are becoming common practice.

The days of applying and sliding in are going out the window.

I am still looking at it......if I only knew what I wanted it for maybe I would make a decision. Until then, I am pursuing my basketweaving degree.

The tuition is cheap in comparison to other schools. I just like the local idea even though other places are beginning to offer some online classes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:39:12 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

I am still looking at it......if I only knew what I wanted it for maybe I would make a decision. Until then, I am pursuing my basketweaving degree.

You an always get into the FBI or the Treasury Dept. with your LE background, supplemented with a JD

Animus, PM sent
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:33:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for the info.  BAR exam looks like a bitch on top of the fact that I need to start college all over so I'm looking at 8-9 years of school
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:52:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
You an always get into the FBI or the Treasury Dept. with your LE background, supplemented with a JD

My friend Vincent just withdrew his application for the FBI after something like 6 or 8 months of the process. When he initially told me that he wanted to join I was very impressed until I found out what the pay scale is  He went to 4 years of UNLV and 2.5 years of law school and making decent money right now and was going to throw it away for $38,000 (or something REALLY close to that figure). His law degree did not earn him anymore salary than the next employee with just a four year degree. I think he finally realized that he has it made right and smelled the coffee.

My friend Eric graduated from law school in 2 years (from Chiz's school) because he went year round. The school is in San Diego so it's not too far from Vegas.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.  BAR exam looks like a bitch on top of the fact that I need to start college all over so I'm looking at 8-9 years of school

As stated in my above post, you can knock out law school in 2 years if you go full-time and don't take summers off.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#40]
I have to knock out a BA degree first.  Hard to go to school full time with wife and baby.  I'll send her out to get a second job

I am from San Diego(born) and most of my family is still in SoCal.  What law school is it?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:37:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I have to knock out a BA degree first.  Hard to go to school full time with wife and baby.  I'll send her out to get a second job

I am from San Diego(born) and most of my family is still in SoCal.  What law school is it?

I already have a second job..It's called having a baby.. But law school is hard work from what I've heard.  I thought about it once but I am looking into an Engineering degree at the moment..
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
What law school is it?

California Western School of Law I believe. I have visited with a couple of friends that graduated from there.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Yep, old CalWeeWee as people called it.  The tuition was $20k/year when i went there(95-98), not sure what it is now.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:08:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Are they the ones offering an on-line course??

One of them down there is.....you only have to drive down every 3-4 weeks for a test. The rest is all on-line.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:13:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Are they the ones offering an on-line course??

One of them down there is.....you only have to drive down every 3-4 weeks for a test. The rest is all on-line.

Not sure, you can check their website, but not when i was there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top