Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 4:35:52 PM EDT
I am going to be in South Lake Tahoe with a friend from CA within the next few weeks.  We want to do some Class 3 shooting together.  Any ranges or places to shoot nearby?  Don't need rentals or anything like that.

Thanks,

TS
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:13:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess there's no shooting at all allowed within the Tahoe Rim area. You can always head on down to the Gardnerville or Carson ranges. Both are located at the respective landfill locations (In Gardnerville, take Pinenut all the way out as far as it'll go, in Carson, take US HWY 50 until you see the sign pointing to the landfill). Since you're going to be doing some full-auto fun, you'll have to contact the respective Sheriff's Offices and let them know.

DCSO Non-emergency 775-782-9935
CCSO Non-emergency 775-887-2500

Barring actually going to the range, there's more public land than you can shake a stick at out here.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:51:14 AM EDT
[#2]
HOLY CRAP! Steve gave a concise and clear answer to a question without a hint of sarcasm or smarminess. I must be sicker than I thought.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I guess there's no shooting at all allowed within the Tahoe Rim area. You can always head on down to the Gardnerville or Carson ranges. Both are located at the respective landfill locations (In Gardnerville, take Pinenut all the way out as far as it'll go, in Carson, take US HWY 50 until you see the sign pointing to the landfill). Since you're going to be doing some full-auto fun, you'll have to contact the respective Sheriff's Offices and let them know.

Barring actually going to the range, there's more public land than you can shake a stick at out here.

thanks for your reply.  Never heard of this one before so I have to ask; why would the sheriff have to be contact for shooting full auto?

TS
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks for your reply.  Never heard of this one before so I have to ask; why would the sheriff have to be contact for shooting full auto?

TS

So one of us locals doesn't see you in a car with CA plates, using our range facilities, firing full-auto and call them ourselves.

BTW, If you're headed out into public lands, PLEASE be sure of your backstop - I may be out there too...

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

So one of us locals doesn't see you in a car with CA plates, using our range facilities, firing full-auto and call them ourselves.

BTW, If you're headed out into public lands, PLEASE be sure of your backstop - I may be out there too...

I find this post kinda ironic.  On one hand, someone with the screen name of MeanSteve was very helpful and provided an intelligent response.  Quite the contrary of being "mean".

On the other hand, we have 4 post-count noob, who immediately assumes I am a idiot shooter and will recklessly put him (or her) in danger by not having an appropriate backstop.  Futhermore, if you would have acutally looked at my post, you would have seen while I was using YOUR range, I am not from CA, I am from AZ.  I am MEETING someone from CA.

So while you are making a fool out of yourself by calling the police on a fellow gun owner, not to mention on someone WHO ALSO HAPPENS TO BE AN ATF LICENSED CLASS II MACHINEGUN MANUFACTURER who would be doing nothing but obeying all laws, maybe you can try to not be so judgemental.

Again, thank you MeanSteve for you reply.

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 12:38:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I find this post kinda ironic.  On one hand, someone with the screen name of MeanSteve was very helpful and provided an intelligent response.  Quite the contrary of being "mean".

On the other hand, we have 4 post-count noob, who immediately assumes I am a idiot shooter and will recklessly put him (or her) in danger by not having an appropriate backstop.  Futhermore, if you would have acutally looked at my post, you would have seen while I was using YOUR range, I am not from CA, I am from AZ.  I am MEETING someone from CA.

So while you are making a fool out of yourself by calling the police on a fellow gun owner, not to mention on someone WHO ALSO HAPPENS TO BE AN ATF LICENSED CLASS II MACHINEGUN MANUFACTURER who would be doing nothing but obeying all laws, maybe you can try to not be so judgemental.

TS

TS,

I don't usually get involved with posts that concern Northern Nevada, unless I comment on a particular issue and add insight/personal knowledge, or if I am giving a response and jesting with my fellow bretheren "Up North."

With that said I feel compelled to comment on your thread: I don't know who USMC79to83
is, and his comments were not friendly to say the least. But I will tell you this: WELCOME to Nevada! Whether it be North or South, fellow shooters are always welcome on our soil.

I can't comment on shooting areas in the North, but I would like to welcome you to our great FREE GUN STATE.

Please enjoy your stay and be safe.

Joe

PS: And MeanSteve aint so mean....

ETA: BTW, before you start poking your finger in the chest of guests USMC79to83, perhaps you should sign in NEVADANS SIGN IN SHEET
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
why would the sheriff have to be contact for shooting full auto?

Because at the range, a big old sign is posted out front that says that "Y'r Spozta".

Fun Gardnerville range story! When I first took my rad new Norinco 84s .223 underfolder out to the range, I slapped in the first magazine and proceeded to bump that thing like it was a two-dollar whore and we were on a motocross track. All the asshole "Serious Shooters" oh, you know the type. Stodgy old douchedrinkers that take their Winchester Model 70 rifles that they bought back when they were thirteen dollars apiece (that's a long time ago, folks!) out to put their two rounds through "just to sight in" before deer season. They fire their one round, call a cold range, then walk alllllllllllllll the way out to the 200 yard burm, squat down and carefully stare at their target, stroking the whiskers on their chin thoughtfully, staring through their off-mark hole with one eye pinched closed like an angry little anus. They then stand up on their creaky old knees and waddle alllllllllll the way back to the stand, call for hot range. Carefully sit behind their bench rest on their little folding chair and take a long, thoughtful peer through the scope, squeeze off one round that bucks in their hand so violently that you'd swear they'd drop their rifle and break their forty dollar NCStar scope. They then stand up on creaky knees and repeat the whole process.

Anyhow, all these Serious Shooters were out in force, and there I was enjoying myself at a public, by-toll recreation area, blasting box after box of cheap-o Wolf 55gr. FMJ. Every Good Ol' Boy wearing one of those trucker hats in a non-ironic manner turns his idiot head and shoots a disdainful gaze at me. One had the conejos (Spanish for 'rabbits' and I stand by it) to tell my partner (the hunchbacked metal-singing four-star chef) that I had a "bad attitude" and that I should "warn {them} before {I} did something like that" and how they were going to call a sheriff's deputy out there because I had an illegal machine gun and so on and so forth. I'd like to see him explain to a sheriff's deputy how I was... abusing a county recreation area... that I had to pay to get in to... by... enjoying myself... on it...

The best part, however, was when we were packing up, I noticed a guy with his 10/22 trying his hardest to get it to bumpfire. Simultaneously heartwarming and inflationary of my own sense of superiority over the rest of the fucksticks in this jerkwater berg.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:27:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Fun Gardnerville range story! ..... All the asshole "Serious Shooters" oh, you know the type. Stodgy old douchedrinkers that take their Winchester Model 70 rifles that they bought back when they were thirteen dollars apiece (that's a long time ago, folks!) out to put their two rounds through "just to sight in" before deer season. They fire their one round, call a cold range, then walk alllllllllllllll the way out to the 200 yard burm......

Too funny!

Reminds me of a cross between the "Mister Authoritative" and the "The Deer Rifle Mafia" from the Gun stereotypes - Which one are you? thread.

"Mister Authoritative": He's the guy who spends 8 hours on the range with his super-expensive, custom-made, high-powered, 'scoped rifle. He has his HUGE range box next to him, and it took him 45 minutes to adjust his spotting scope. During his 10 hours on the range, he shoots only 5 rounds, for he has to study each hit, check the spent casing for any tell-tales, and wet & dry patch the bore after every 2 rounds.

"The Deer Rifle Mafia": At the range they have extremely powerful scoped rifles and they only shoot at a target no further than 100 yards out. The might be seen in a realtree camo jacket, usually considered a fashion statement among their own kind. Bringing back a well-ventilated target from 300 yards out that you shot with an M39 Mosin-Nagant, forty year old ammo and iron sights sometimes annoys these fellows. Doing that from the prone doesn't do much for their disposition either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TS

Meansteve has his moments.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

With that said I feel compelled to comment on your thread: I don't know who USMC79to83
is, and his comments were not friendly to say the least. But I will tell you this: WELCOME to Nevada! Whether it be North or South, fellow shooters are always welcome on our soil.

I can't comment on shooting areas in the North, but I would like to welcome you to our great FREE GUN STATE.

Joe

Thank you sir!  I have always enjoyed visiting your great state.  South Lake has to be one of the best places for a vacation.  I hope you had a good time when you were in our neck of the woods earlier this month and our hospitality left a smile on you face.  I am an AZ transplant and love it here.

Cheers

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#11]
While I can't say they didn't call the Sheriff...

I've been to the Carson Range many times when someone was shooting a full auto and never saw the Carson Sheriff unless they were working out in the pits on the far end of the range with their own machine guns.

I'll also say that the folks shooting Class III at Carson have never given me cause for concern.  It's a 300 yard covered Rifle range with a separate covered Pistol range and they don't require any fee or that you leave your license plate number either.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:18:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
and they don't require any fee or that you leave your license plate number either.

There are places that make you leave you license plate #?  PLEASE tell me you are kidding!

TS
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Douglas range requires you put your license number on the envelope with your $2 range fee.

I personally see no reason to report to the local .gov what vehicle of mine carries firearms.  The only times I've gone I put the color and vehicle type only in case they wanted to come up and see who hadn't paid.

That's mostly why I drive up to the Carson range...
[ETA] Or just drive up to the sand pit in the Ranchos
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Joe

Thank you sir!  I have always enjoyed visiting your great state.  South Lake has to be one of the best places for a vacation.  I hope you had a good time when you were in our neck of the woods earlier this month and our hospitality left a smile on you face.  I am an AZ transplant and love it here.

Cheers

TS

NP TS,

I had a great time in Arizona. The people I stayed with were awesome, and they are "insane" gun fanatics. I got to shoot a pink AK. Yep, a "PINK" AK! And I have the pics to prove it.

The only pain in the ass that I found during my stay was the road construction (all over the Friggin' place) and the traffic. I guess I shouldn't complain, because I have those comforts right here at home.

Other than getting pretty sick the day after I returned to Vegas (the Flu), I really enjoyed my stay.

Once again, welcome.

Joe
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#15]
TacticalSmurf---
2nd on the Carson Range.  I shoot my NFA stuff there all the time and have never had a problem.  No calls to make, no licenses to leave. Take one of the bays in the back and fire away.
The range is about 45 minutes from SLT on Hwy 50 just east of Carson.
---AllAlphas
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
TacticalSmurf---
2nd on the Carson Range.  I shoot my NFA stuff there all the time and have never had a problem.  No calls to make, no licenses to leave. Take one of the bays in the back and fire away.
The range is about 45 minutes from SLT on Hwy 50 just east of Carson.
---AllAlphas

Thanks guys for the guidance.  It seems like Carson is going to be the place.

TS
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
A friend lives next to a deputy who told him about a murder at Carson Range. Several years ago a guy was killed out there and his guns stolen. Also I'm sure you don't need told but range rules ask that you have your paperwork with you.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:46:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A friend lives next to a deputy who told him about a murder at Carson Range. Several years ago a guy was killed out there and his guns stolen. Also I'm sure you don't need told but range rules ask that you have your paperwork with you.

I understand there was a run of these exact types of killings in the MidWest a few years back .....

There are a lot of semi-small, semi-secluded, and little used public ranges out there dotted throughout the landscape. From what I understand, somebody would quietly come up behind a person shooting with ear protection, and shoot them in the back (of the head???? I dunno). The victim would be found totally robbed (cash/valuables), and all of their firearms/ammo would be gone.

The group I shot with while I was in Wisconsin had a couple guys who only ever shot with Electronic Hearing Protection. They're pretty nifty, so I never thought to ask why they would insist on using them, aside from the obvious useful reasons. Conversation turned toward firearm crime one time, and one of the guys says "Why do you suppose I wear these damn-expensive electronic earmuffs???? Its so I can shoot alone on the range without worrying about getting shot in the back of the head because I couldn't hear the guy coming up behind me!"

I was going to tell him to adjust his tinfoil hat (he was otherwise particularly paranoid, so I figured this was just another zombie-invasion neuroses), but all the other shooters were nodding their agreements meaningfully. They filled me in, and I bought electronic muffs (and wear that particular tinfoil hat, too, now).
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was going to tell him to adjust his tinfoil hat (he was otherwise particularly paranoid, so I figured this was just another zombie-invasion neuroses), but all the other shooters were nodding their agreements meaningfully. They filled me in, and I bought electronic muffs (and wear that particular tinfoil hat, too, now).

I highly recommend the electronic muffs for outdoor shooting (hubby and I got Peltors). Money well spent. Just got them about a month ago, and love being able to hear who's driving up the road at the range. Sometimes they leave the gate open for matches at Desert Sportsman, and strange folk have wandered in. It's also nice to talk to each other without yelling.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I highly recommend the electronic muffs for outdoor shooting (hubby and I got Peltors). Money well spent. Just got them about a month ago, and love being able to hear who's driving up the road at the range. Sometimes they leave the gate open for matches at Desert Sportsman, and strange folk have wandered in. It's also nice to talk to each other without yelling.

Sometimes my wife makes me go put on the earmuffs when we're watching TV. That way I don't have to turn it up so much that it hurts her ears, just so that I can hear the conversations.

Didn't see THAT particular use for the shooting muffs before I bought 'em, but hey, makes them an ever BETTER investment!
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:36:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sometimes my wife makes me go put on the earmuffs when we're watching TV. That way I don't have to turn it up so much that it hurts her ears, just so that I can hear the conversations.

Didn't see THAT particular use for the shooting muffs before I bought 'em, but hey, makes them an ever BETTER investment!

Very interesting, never would have though of that. Too funny!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top