Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/25/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT
Residents of other states have different abbreviations for a permit to carry i.e. CFP, CPP, CWP, CCP, CHG, etc. I have seen references other than "CCW" made from people that have relocated to Nevada from other states. I am curious what abbreviations are used for handgun permits in specific states other than Nevada.

In Nevada a permit to carry is referred to as a "CCW" permit.

What is a permit to carry called in the state where you live/relocated from?

Just curious.

Thanks.....
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I relocated from Kalifornia where they are called "rocking horse shit" because that's how rare they are
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Well I relocated from Kalifornia where they are called "rocking horse shit" because that's how rare they are

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
im back in TX now, but Texas calls it a CHL (Concealed Handgun License).  my Florida is a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit).  i cant remember what my New Hampshire one says.  My Pennsylvania is a LTC (License To Carry Firearms).
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 9:46:31 AM EDT
[#4]
CT - State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:18:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CT - State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers

Is there an abbreviation i.e. Concealed Carry Permit (CCP), Concealed Handgun License (CHL), etc?

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
The People's Republic of mASSachusetts calls it a "License to Carry" .There is different variations of the LTC.The police chief of the town or city you live in has total discretion as to what
if any restrictions are placed on the LTC and whether you even "need" one.Most people can't get a LTC in MA unless they have a "reason" i.e. LEO, armed security,etc.Keep in mind in MA you must have a LTC just to buy/possess a handgun.Rifles/shotguns are a separate licence called an FID card.Of course MA also has an "assault weapons ban" as well as an "approved" handgun list.

Glad to be in Nevada

Semper Fi,
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Oh I forgot, the city of Boston has additional gun laws that are even more restrictive than MA state law.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
In New York it is just called a "Pistol Permit". In all other counties except in New York City you must get the permit BEFORE you can buy a pistol. Really bad. Some dealers must hold the gun for several months before the permit is approved. All permits must be signed by a Judge. If you have been good you can probably get one. In some counties the judge may limit the amount of pistols you can own.  NYC is different. You can get a Premise permit but the gun can't leave the house (Very hard to get) Or you can try and get a Carry permit (Rocking Horse Shit). In New York City even Cops from another county cannot carry without permission. Total BS. I am so glad to be out of there.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is there an abbreviation i.e. Concealed Carry Permit (CCP), Concealed Handgun License (CHL), etc?

Thanks

Not really.  Everyone I meet just calls it a "Pistol Permit".  The CT permit is more than just granting permission to carry concealed.

One cannot transport a handgun without a permit, except for very narrow exceptions.  The permit also waives the state 14-day waiting period for handguns and long guns.

Without a permit, one must get an Eligibility Certificate to purchase handguns.  The paperwork is the same as the permit, but only allows the purchase, not carry or transport of handguns, and the purchaser is subject to a 14-day wait.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
In Washington State its called a (CPL) Concealed Psitol License
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:22:14 PM EDT
[#11]
CA-
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was stationed in ND (lengthly but the unofficial name by lots-o-local PD):

"Well, no shit Baser! This here laminated card says it's ok to hide that shit out of plain view. God damn, you have to have a permit ta do that! Why'r you so special to hav'un? Is it because you're out there at the big airport? Did it cost money?"

So: THLCSIOKTHTSOOPV

Again, just a guess.

ND state troopers called it a CCP (concealed carry permit).

Tony D; What did they call it in Rhodesia (Republic of Zimbabwe)? Don't tell me - they called it "Thursday"

V
OUT
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#13]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top