Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2005 6:47:35 PM EDT
Hi guys.  Does anyone know of any good custom (leather preferred, but if I can't get it, I can accept Kydex) holster makers in the Las Vegas area?

I have the following holsters:

Bladetech
Fobus
Uncle Mike's
Kytac
Tucker Gun Leather
C-TAC
Mitch Rosen
Milt Sparks
Sidearmor
Bianci

and I don't like any of them, so I give up and need someone to make something my way. =P

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:51:45 PM EDT
[#1]
geezus man, you are PICKY! What weapon are you looking to fit? Pocket, IWB, OWB?

And NO, i don't know any local guys. Sorry.

But i didn't see any Comptac or Kramer on that list.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
NS,

Have you tried the BlackHawk Close Quarters Concealment (CQC) Serpa holster? It's actually several holsters in one. You should give it a try, it's a pretty outstanding piece of gear.

BlackHawk CQC Holsters

BTW, what kind of gun do you need a new holster for?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, like everyone else, I kind of go through "holster evolutions."  You know, you think you want something -- you get it, and then you realize that you don't really want it.  Same with pistols.  Sometimes it's something, sometimes it's something else.  >_<

Anyhow, here's the hard part.  My lifestyle dictates that I use between the pants and belt holsters only.  I know, I know, these are extremely uncommon.  Right now I'm back to my 1911 phase, because the single action trigger hides poor trigger control and bad habits, all of which I have. =D

My two main problems are that almost no one makes between the pants and belt holsters (Sparks and Rosen do, but I already have those, and I don't like them), and also that this style holster dictates 5 o clock carry.  5 o clock carry, what the heck is that?  Because the entire holster has to fit between belt loops, this prevents the regular 3-4:30 carry.

Ever try drawing from 5 o clock with a regular 10-15 cant?  You can't do it.  =(  So, I need a between the belt and pants holster for 4" length 1911s with an AGGRESSIVE cant.  So, I guess I need a local custom maker I can talk to about my 'problem.'  

I'm not rich, but considering that Rosen's holster cost over $200, I'm willing to pay that much for something quality that fulfills my needs.

I've tried C-TAC, and eh....

I don't like SERPAs because they're OWB which prints too much for me, and also because I don't feel the put-your-finger-here is a good idea for an accident prone person such as myself. =P

I know there's one in Pahrump, but I don't know their name/address/phone #, or if they're any good.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:00:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Oh, I know someone is going to disagree with me on the OWB printing thing.  Well, I often wear suits, or those ridiculously thin 100% worsted wool blah blah pants, and it is a miracle if those can hold up a pager without ripping in half and making your tailor cry.  Short of an instructor belt (which I am not going to wear with a suit, haha), nothing will be able to handle OWB on pants like these.  This is one of the reasons I use between the belt and pants.

Since people are going to try and get me to go IWB, I carried IWB for many years, but back then I also lived in TX and worked in the industry, so I could wear flannel and carry everywhere.  Now I live in Nevada, where most days, I can't carry when I go outside.  Post office, UNLV campus, North Las Vegas, you know how it is.

But sometimes I can.  Such as when I get back from those places and won't be entering their territory for the rest of the day.  I cannot afford to have two sets of pants.  One sized for carry, one sized for unarmed.  Also, try wearing a suit and carrying two pistols.  Even though your jacket covers the belt line, it's obvious that something is wrong with your pants.  The lines going to the invisible humongous waist don't look right.

And since someone is going to ask why I carry two pistols, it is because I suck at reloading, and I cannot afford to buy guns that actually work.  So, it's an act of G*d when I can make it through a mag or two without a stoppage.  Also, I find a pistol actually prints less than mags do.  So... I have two.

... boy, I'm long winded.  Anyway, there you have it.  Between belt and pants.  Aggressive cant.  I'm going to get on my knees and beg here ...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Ok NS,

You have a common dilemma with concealed carry that many people experience.

Let me suggest the Galco Deep Cover or Second Amendment holster designs. Galco Holsters

These high quality leather holsters not only go IWB between body and trousers, but they also allow you to tuck your dress shirt over the holster by applying a unique design that has a “tongue” so to speak, at the bottom of the holster that comes up and attaches under the trouser belt with a high-impact plastic “J” hook. The wearer can adjust the cant for shooting side carry, or the holster can be worn in front in the “Mexican” carry mode.

If you are dead-set on IWB, shooting side carry with a 15° cant, let me suggest the Galco Royal Guard. This leather holster has a permanent 15° cant with two belt attachment loops to secure it.

Native Nevadan Sporting Goods in Las Vegas Native Nevadan Sporting Goods is probably the largest stocking Galco dealer in the southern, if not the entire State of Nevada.

They have moved from 7th Street, so you will have to call them for the new location. I do believe their new location is (and please don’t hold me to it) is on Rainbow Blvd. near Charleston. Mike at Native Nevadan is a great guy and he will get you squared away.

Hope this helps.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:27:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your reply, ishoot2live, but I can't use tuckables because I use shirt-stays.  These prevent shirts from being untucked, meaning I can't draw.  If you don't know what shirt-stays are, all I can say is, you're very lucky. ;)

Also, I guess I wasn't clear enough.  Neither OWB nor IWB work for me.  I can only use between the pants and belt holsters.  That is, they are outside the pants, but inside the belt.

They are however, rather uncommon, and tend to have cants too shallow for my purposes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Your welcome NS,

Good luck finding a holster that works.

Joe
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont mean to offend you in the slightest bit, but I have to point something out.

you need to waiver. you either need to buy better pants, chose a different type of holster (iwb or owb), or quit using shirt stays if you want a non-custom holster.

otoh: since you wear a suit, have you  considered a shoulder holster? I can understand the many problems with them, but it's better than not carrying at all.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Buy a S&W 640 and stuff it in your front pocket.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a custom holster and I hate it. It was a Fobus, I think.  NOT SUBBY, if find a good one let me know.  I use the mexican carry with my Blackhawk belt most of the time when I'm not in jeans.  
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:27:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
And since someone is going to ask why I carry two pistols, it is because I suck at reloading, and I cannot afford to buy guns that actually work.  So, it's an act of G*d when I can make it through a mag or two without a stoppage.  Also, I find a pistol actually prints less than mags do.  So... I have two.

Good lord man, with all the holsters you have listed and your 2 Lorcins/Jennings sold/traded in, you'd have enough scratch to buy a S&W CS9 or CS45 and a holster to go with it.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top