Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:44:38 AM EDT
A few weeks ago a friend went to a Metro sub-station to ask if a serial number could be run to make sure that a rifle he wanted to purchase (Marlin 30-30) from a neighbor was legit/free and clear.
He was then told by the woman at the desk and a detective called over for assistance that they don't do such a thing, and that since rifles/long guns aren't required to be registered, serial numbers aren't checked.
Followed by "...just transport the rifle unloaded and not accessible and you'll never have any problems..."

Is that really the way it works?  I've passed up many an awesome deal, just because I didn't trust the person or felt questionable about where the rifle was acquired.
WTH?
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I know I wouldnt feel comfortable about that. If something I was about to purchase is stolen I would definately want to know about it. I'd contact a different area command or a different Records Clerk about that. Hell, I would even contact NLVPD if Metro gives you too much trouble.

The way I look at it: if a deal seems a little fishy, it probably is.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:00:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Sparky,

This is all I could find on private transfer in the NRS. It doesn't state anything about checking the background of the firearm to be transferred, only the background of the person who is receiving the firearm.

Perhaps Jim knows another way to get the serial number checked.

Hope this Helps.

Be Safe.

Joe

NRS 202.254

NRS 202.254  Private person authorized to obtain background check on person who wishes to obtain firearm from him; fee.

1.  A private person who wishes to transfer a firearm to another person may, before he transfers the firearm, request that the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

2.  The person who requests the information pursuant to subsection 1 shall provide the Central Repository with identifying information about the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

3.  Upon receiving a request from a private person pursuant to subsection 1 and the identifying information required pursuant to subsection 2, the Central Repository shall within 5 business days after receiving the request:

(a) Perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm; and

(b) Notify the person who requests the information whether the information available to the Central Repository indicates that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would violate a state or federal law.

4.  If the person who requests the information does not receive notification from the Central Repository regarding his request within 5 business days after making the request, he may presume that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would not violate a state or federal law.

5.  The Central Repository may charge a reasonable fee for performing a background check and notifying a person of the results of the background check pursuant to this section.

6.  The failure of a person to request the Central Repository to perform a background check pursuant to this section before transferring a firearm to another person does not give rise to any civil cause of action.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 825)

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I tried to have a rifle serial # run over the phone and got a similar response about only checking handguns, the solution they suggested was to transfer it through a FFL  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top