[#2]
Man, I love those!!

Nice truck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice truck ARin.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Sweet... perhaps I'll go post about my new one now.  
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont see no post.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice ride! I haven't seen inside the newest models yet, noticeable improvement?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#7]
oh yes...quite noticable.

like a completely different vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:12:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I dont see no post.

LOL, I'm workin on it!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
oh yes...quite noticable.

like a completely different vehicle.

I had to go down to FJ toyota today to check it out, and you're right, MUCH bigger. My truck REALLy didn't handle the heat well this summer, so a newer vehicle--most likely this one--may be in my future...
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 11:48:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I had to go down to FJ toyota today to check it out, and you're right, MUCH bigger. My truck REALLy didn't handle the heat well this summer, so a newer vehicle--most likely this one--may be in my future...

I had two Tacomas, a '99 and an '02 (and I loved them). The new ones are built on the 4Runner platform. I needed a bigger truck with more power so  traded my '02 Tacoma and bought a new 4WD Tundra from Fletcher Jones Toyota. It's my third Toyota truck in 6 years. I used to work at FJT. If you are not already dealing with someone, I can refer you to one of my good friends (so you don't get the runaround BS). Just let me know.

The first week of the month and the last few days of the month are the best times to make a deal. During the first week of the month everyone tries to sell as many cars as they can because there are bonusus for "Quick Start." And during the last few days of the month everyone pushes to sell vehicles so they can get unit bonuses. Either way you can make a smokin' deal. Plus, Toyota makes great vehicles.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:38:45 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm currently looking for a truck for myself. I am gonna get a Toyota Tacoma, most likely a '97-'99 4X4 extra cab. I have been looking for a couple weeks now, and I swear I can't find anything on the market!!!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]
if you are a costco member, PLEASE take advantage of their buying program.

that tacoma was 600 over invoice with the Costco program.

and yes, i saw the invoice, and have a copy of it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I'm currently looking for a truck for myself. I am gonna get a Toyota Tacoma, most likely a '97-'99 4X4 extra cab. I have been looking for a couple weeks now, and I swear I can't find anything on the market!!!

I had 20 payments of $374.00 left on my 2002 Tacoma 4x4, and Fletcher Jones Toyota paid off the loan and I still had $700.00 left over to put into the deal on the new Tundra.

I heard that Tacomas (especially 4x4's) are bringing over book at the auctions. That's one reason why they they are scarce. Plus, they are extremely popular and dependable vehicles.

I did see two white 4x4 Tacomas on the used car lot at Fletcher Jones Toyota the other day. I'm not sure what years they are, but I know they were there.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

$600.00 over tissue rocks ARin.

I have you beat though, my '05 Tundra was $300.00 over (I get the good guy price at FJT).

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The first week of the month and the last few days of the month are the best times to make a deal. During the first week of the month everyone tries to sell as many cars as they can because there are bonusus for "Quick Start." And during the last few days of the month everyone pushes to sell vehicles so they can get unit bonuses. Either way you can make a smokin' deal. Plus, Toyota makes great vehicles.

Be Safe.

Joe

Thanks for the tips. I am sold on Toyo/Lexus, as between my wife's family and I, we've had a few. My first car was a 77 Corrolla, it finally died with 165k and 21 years of service.  My current rig is a Toyo Land Cruiser, it runs great, but the air--which was just serviced--isn't so cold anymore. I end up with two sweaty kids in their car seats after we get to where we're going.  I'd LOVE a new one o' these, but $65k? uh, no.  When we're ready, i'll definitely shoot you an IM.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Have you tried the carsdirect.com or other online order services? Do you get similar discounts?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a look at this, about Toyota trucks. I realize it's an ad (of sorts), but still cool nonetheless.

stan.cc.swin.edu.au/~jeff/cars/Top%20Gear%20Toyota%20Hilux%20-%20Unbreakable.wmv
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 12:14:27 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Have you tried the carsdirect.com or other online order services? Do you get similar discounts?

try www.edmunds.com/ to see what the True Market Value is. That would be the price that would be pretty much the best you can get, and it's fair for the dealer too, but he won't rape you.

Then I would email one of the dealers in town and ask what they can give that car to you for. After they reply, email another dealer and ask them if they will beat that price. If there is another of the same type dealer, do the same thing again with them. Keep doing it until you get the desired price.

Be careful to add in DOC fees and such as every dealer charges a different amount for that.

The great thing about doing it through email is, you get a great price, and you don't have to spend two days at the dealer to get it. You have more control this way. At the dealers, they try all they can to break you down and convince you to pay what they want.

My brother just did this same thing with a Honda Oddessy. I will never go to the dealer to haggle again. Get it all out on the table before you even go in there.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Take a look at this, about Toyota trucks. I realize it's an ad (of sorts), but still cool nonetheless.

stan.cc.swin.edu.au/~jeff/cars/Top%20Gear%20Toyota%20Hilux%20-%20Unbreakable.wmv

That is a great video!  It is worth the download time to watch this.  BTW, Top Gear has the best automobile program out there.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

$600.00 over tissue rocks ARin.

I have you beat though, my '05 Tundra was $300.00 over (I get the good guy price at FJT).

Be Safe.

Joe

Joe, i looked at my paperwork...and i was mistaken...i actually paid 400 over invoice.

ARin,

$400.00 over is still a rockin' deal on your Tacoma.

I love my new Tundra, but the Friggin' gas mileage and high prices are a real bummer. I really don't care because Toyota makes a great vehicle, and that outweighs the extra cost.

Be Safe.

Joe

PS: I do miss my '02 Tacoma though.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:42:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:47:31 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I love my new Tundra, but the Friggin' gas mileage and high prices are a real bummer. I really don't care because Toyota makes a great vehicle, and that outweighs the extra cost.

From Edmunds:

Arin's Taco: 17 mpg / 21 mpg (21 gal tank)
Joe's Tundra:  15 mpg / 18 mpg (26.4 gal tank )
Chiz' old ass 'cruiser: 11/13mpg (25 gal tank)

Don't talk to ME about gas mileage! Now that we're gonna be at $3/gal by the end of summer

So the Dems were wrong AGAIN...this sure as hell wasn't a war for oil
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had 20 payments of $374.00 left on my 2002 Tacoma 4x4, and Fletcher Jones Toyota paid off the loan and I still had $700.00 left over to put into the deal on the new Tundra.

I heard that Tacomas (especially 4x4's) are bringing over book at the auctions. That's one reason why they they are scarce. Plus, they are extremely popular and dependable vehicles.

I did see two white 4x4 Tacomas on the used car lot at Fletcher Jones Toyota the other day. I'm not sure what years they are, but I know they were there.

Be Safe.

Joe

Well, I bought a '95 Tacoma LX V6 4x4 extra cab the other day. Got it private party for $9000. I paid a premium, but it was pristine for being 10 years old and only has 77K miles on it. I also bought a LEER camper shell used for $500. The guy said he bought it brand new for $1800. It matches my color perfectly and is streamlined with the rest of the truck.

It was everything I needed. Only thing I would want more would be cruise control, but I'm not gonna be out on the freeway a lot anyways, at least not for extended periods.

This was the first year they made the Tacomas and it was a huge improvement IMO. I sold my '94 Toyota P/U 4x4 extra cab last year, and my biggest beef with it was that it was weak as hell (4cyl 5spd) and STILL got terrible gas mileage. I think it got something like 17mpg, and it didn't matter if it was in town or on the freeway because it was so gutless on the freeway, I had to have the gas all the way down just to TRY and keep up with traffic which was a bitch, esspecially uphill. Funny thing is, the older V6's didn't have much more power than the older 4cyls.

The V6 in my Tacoma gets about 16mpg, but it has 190 horses and it's automatic tranny.

ARin, what is the HP on the new Tacomas? Do you know?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:03:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Wow, what a jump!! That's a lot of horses for a V6. I didn't realize they made such a significant jump on HP. And to get 17mpg, that puts my old 4-banger that probably had something like 130HP to shame...
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:36:48 PM EDT
[#28]
If you guys are not averse to modifying your trucks, Toyota has big aftermarket support.  You can get some simple bolt on goodies such as a freer breathing intake or even an exhaust.  Take a look:

Sample of air intakes click this link

and exhaust:

Cllick here for exhaust

Not to mention enthusiast message boards such as this:

4x4 Wire Toyota Discussion Board

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
If you guys are not averse to modifying your trucks, Toyota has big aftermarket support.  You can get some simple bolt on goodies such as a freer breathing intake or even an exhaust.  Take a look:

and exhaust:

Cllick here for exhaust

Not to mention enthusiast message boards such as this:

4x4 Wire Toyota Discussion Board

So how much HP will a cold air intake add?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:33:03 PM EDT
[#30]
not as mutch as my diesel puts out. when tundra comes out with there diesel next year i gotta get one.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

On the 'cruiser boards, there have been some complaints about the K&Ns off road letting in too much dust.  Our climate seems exceptionally dusty.  In my intake, there's a removable cup that sits under the air filter. I just took it out to clean it, and there was 1/2" of the finest dust collected there.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:05:02 PM EDT
[#32]
It all depends on what type of intake you get, really.  Most of the stuff out there is marketing fluff.  Generally AEM and K&N make a good product.  AEM actually in house dyno their intakes and the length, diameter is tuned for that engine.  Don't believe the hype about cotton air filters making your engine internals dirty etc.  As long as you maintain scheduled OCI (Oil Change Intervals).  You are okay.  It's if you don't do scheduled oil changes and let your oil run and get dirty is where you run into problems.  Cotton filters have less restrictive flow as compared to paper filter i.e. OEM filters.  Expect moderate gains within the 5-15 H.P.  Better throttle response, and your engine being "a little" louder since most intakes replace the factory airbox with built in resonators.

Hope this helps

AEM website

K&N Filter Vehicle Application Search

One of the newer comapnies TruFlow

edited to add:
Chiz, I didn't see your post.  I have run a few k&n filters in my cars for the past 8 years.  Always changed my oil on time and never had problems with the dusty conditions here.  I know a few off roaders that go wheeling using k&n's.  An if you google baja and k&n you will find numerous baja teams and install articles about them.  I too was a little hesitant about using these filters, but so far, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:46:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Be Safe.

Joe

Thanks for the tips. I am sold on Toyo/Lexus, as between my wife's family and I, we've had a few. My first car was a 77 Corrolla, it finally died with 165k and 21 years of service.  My current rig is a Toyo Land Cruiser, it runs great, but the air--which was just serviced--isn't so cold anymore. I end up with two sweaty kids in their car seats after we get to where we're going.  I'd LOVE a new one o' these, but $65k? uh, no.  When we're ready, i'll definitely shoot you an IM.

NP, Chizzy.....
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the 'cruiser boards, there have been some complaints about the K&Ns off road letting in too much dust.  Our climate seems exceptionally dusty.  In my intake, there's a removable cup that sits under the air filter. I just took it out to clean it, and there was 1/2" of the finest dust collected there.

I heard the same thing about the dust and sand build up in K&N's when used extensively for off-road. That is why I didn't revamp my intake filtration system on my new Tundra yet. I know that K&N (and a lot of other maufacturers) make a replacemet (box) filter that is supposed to help aspirate better, but I don't think it is the same as replacing the entire intake filtration system (like the cone shaped K&N and air tunnel).

Any help on this would be appreciated....

Thanks in advance.

Be Safe.

Joe  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:11:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Joe, Kalani, and anyone else interested.  Also to add, there are more increases with replacing your total intake with better plumbing rather than just putting in a K&N drop in filter to replace your factory filter.  Most OEM airboxes are just there primarily to muffle engine noise.  I've used those "drop in" filters that replace your OEM filter.  They don't increase any HP to any significant "real world" degree because your airbox is still there - thus same restrictive plumbing.

Here are some links:

From Offroad Magazine

Simplified explanation and install on Automedia

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Some of the cruiserheads were lining their intake hoses just bfore the throttle bodies with vaseline, IIRC. They 'scientifically' measured (eyeballed) the amount of dust and grit collected with OEM vs. K&N and found that the K&N allowed more dirt to pass in.

Professionals, don't they tear down their motors after their races? I doubt dust from a race or two bothers them
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:58:18 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Some of the cruiserheads were lining their intake hoses just bfore the throttle bodies with vaseline, IIRC. They 'scientifically' measured (eyeballed) the amount of dust and grit collected with OEM vs. K&N and found that the K&N allowed more dirt to pass in.

Professionals, don't they tear down their motors after their races? I doubt dust from a race or two bothers them

I see your point  There are quite a few racers street or off road that swear by foam filters.

BeckettOfNevada mentioned diesels.  Here's thng I posted a while back, but it's worth sharing again.  This is back in 11/2003 locally at Midnight Mayhem.  The legal drags held on the occasional Friday nights at the Las Vegas Motorspeedway.  Click on the link

This Gen II RX7 is in for a suprise!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top