Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 9:17:15 PM EDT
I am going to purchase a pistol from a friend but was wondering if I have to pay the Brady background fee at a Metro substation in order to transfer it to me.

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#1]
No, If you trust the individual, pay him and take the pistol to the local police substation and register it in your name. They will perforn NCIS on you and gun. They will issue you a blue card.
Should be no charge in Henderson or Las Vegas. From where you live you should probably go to the station on Water Street.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Is the check metro does when they issue a blue card the same NCIS the dealer does or is it different?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
[#3]
NICS is a National background check that done by NHP out of Carson City. They call it a POS (point-of-sale) background check. They are checking to make sure that you are not prohibited from owning a gun.

The LVMPD registration check is a regional check of you to make sure that you don't have any outstanding warrants or are a prohibited person. As far as I know they check SCOPE, the local LVMPD database, and NCJIS, the Nevada Criminal Justice Information System. They also check to make sure that the firearm you are registering is not in the NCICl database of stolen firearms.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:16:08 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am going to purchase a pistol from a friend but was wondering if I have to pay the Brady background fee at a Metro substation in order to transfer it to me.

Your friend is Selling you a pistol, not Transferring it.  Licensed dealers transfer guns, private parties sell them.  Sounds like a small point but this freedom is a dear one.  In states like California, this is against the law.

As for Metro doing a "background check".  I have registered many guns over the years and I know there is no requirement to do any kind of check.  I am sure most are run to see if they are stolen but often times just the paperwork is done as a matter of course.  Besides, even if Metro did do a check, there is no legal mechanisim in place to deny registration.  You may get popped for being a prohibited person in possession but at least you will have your blue card when they do hock.gif
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:30:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your friend is Selling you a pistol, not Transferring it.  Licensed dealers transfer guns, private parties sell them.  Sounds like a small point but this freedom is a dear one.  In states like California, this is against the law.

As for Metro doing a "background check".  I have registered many guns over the years and I know there is no requirement to do any kind of check.  I am sure most are run to see if they are stolen but often times just the paperwork is done as a matter of course.  Besides, even if Metro did do a check, there is no legal mechanisim in place to deny registration.  You may get popped for being a prohibited person in possession but at least you will have your blue card when they do

C.C. Ord. 12.04.210  It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, give away, or permanently pass on to another person of any pistol, revolver or other firearm capable of being concealed unless the Transferor first registers, or causes the weapon to be registered to the new owner.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:45:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Uh, thanks for the bold print and all but after having to register 20+ handguns over the years, I am well aquainted with the Clark County Code.  I thought the subject of the thread was about Metro doing background checks as a condition to issue a blue card.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:10:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Uh, thanks for the bold print and all but after having to register 20+ handguns over the years, I am well aquainted with the Clark County Code.  I thought the subject of the thread was about Metro doing background checks as a condition to issue a blue card.

Only 20?

LVMPD does run a SCOPE and NCJIS check on you when you go in to register the handgun. They also check to make sure that the gun is not stolen. How do I know this? I've been at the substation(s) when one guy was arrested for outstanding warrants, and another guy's gun was retained due to a stolen gun hit.

Between assisting students in getting blue cards and registering my own guns over the years, I've been to LVMPD many more times than you could imagine, and have talked to the Sergeants and Lieutenants in charge many times.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:44:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
LVMPD does run a SCOPE and NCJIS check on you when you go in to register the handgun. They also check to make sure that the gun is not stolen.

Did you read my post?  I didn't say they didn't do it, I said there was no statutory requirement TO do it.  Besides, many blue card applications are processed and issued by hourly wage, non-sworn admins working the counters at various stations.  Most of whom do not have access to SCOPE or NCJIS data bases for privacy reasons.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:10:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LVMPD does run a SCOPE and NCJIS check on you when you go in to register the handgun. They also check to make sure that the gun is not stolen.

Did you read my post?  I didn't say they didn't do it, I said there was no statutory requirement TO do it.  Besides, many blue card applications are processed and issued by hourly wage, non-sworn admins working the counters at various stations.  Most of whom do not have access to SCOPE or NCJIS data bases for privacy reasons.

Yeah, I can read.

You don't have to be sworn in order to get access to Scope and NCJIS. Dispatchers are hourly non-sworn types that access SCOPE and NCJIS all the time. You do have to have an account number for audit reasons, and there are severe penalties for both the mis-user and the agency if not used properly.

When was the last time you took a SCOPE/NCJIS user's class? Mine was about a month ago.

And you're right, there's no statutory requirement because it's a county issue. LVMPD does have a department policy that the checks be done.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:26:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Uh,

I posted in bold because some people lose the information among the other posts. Maybe if you had more posts than registered handguns you would be a little more polite.

Four posts and you are already a cocky bastard.

Be polite Johnny, and please don't point.

Be Safe.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:16:58 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yeah, I can read.

I asked DID you read, not CAN you read.

You don't have to be sworn in order to get access to Scope and NCJIS. Dispatchers are hourly non-sworn types that access SCOPE and NCJIS all the time.

I said MOST non-sworn wage do not have access.  You mentioned dispatchers, not me.

When was the last time you took a SCOPE/NCJIS user's class? Mine was about a month ago.

I have never taken it but 2 people who report to me TEACH the class to county employees.  Does that count?

And you're right, there's no statutory requirement because it's a county issue.

The entire Clark County Code is a "County issue"

And to ishoot2live, I will be sure to add the number of posts on disscussion forums  to my resume, along with my 13 years working for Clark  County including the last 5 in the County Managers office.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:35:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Sorry I asked fellas....... I didn't want to start an argument over a pistol registering procedure.

I appreciate the help though

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:48:33 PM EDT
[#14]

I will be sure to add the number of posts on disscussion forums to my resume, along with my 13 years working for Clark County including the last 5 in the County Managers office.

Ah, a long-term county employee. That explains the attitude and nitpicking.

I have never taken it but 2 people who report to me TEACH the class to county employees. Does that count?

I once managed a R&D Department for a rather large gaming company. I am an embedded systems engineer by training, but I managed mechanical and electrical engineers as well. The fact that some of your employees teach the SCOPE/NCJIS class has no bearing on whether or not you know anything about the system, or who can use it, so NO it doesn't count.

You'll also notice that I also never said it was a requirement, but a policy. Of course to do that, you'd have to read the post.

BTW, welcome to the site.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice first impression tard.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Hey Ron, the answer is NO.

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:47:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn Chiz.... that was REAL easy

thanks,
Ron
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:10:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top