Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2020 1:08:56 PM EDT
Retired here from Texas last April (yes, I know that's bass-ackwards), but my wife is from here and has family here.  We've never lived close to her family in 42 years of marriage.

We live in Oshkosh and are enjoying the slower pace here when compared to the DFW area.  Every time I'm in "rush hour" here, I just smile.

What I would like to know is where I can find both an indoor and outdoor rifle range.  In Frisco we had a range with a 100 yd indoor rifle range, which was very nice.  (Unless the Fudds whacked all of the mechanisms in all four lanes siting in their deer rifles.)  I prefer shooting outdoors, but obviously it may have to warm up slightly to make that feasible.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've been looking and found Van Dyne Sportsmens Club.  Good, bad, okay?
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 8:39:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Shiocton

Outdoor range out to 500 yards. $5 a head at the self pay station. Really nice since it's been rebuilt.

Some people complain about the local cops playing range safety officer. I've never had a problem nor seen them bother anyone else.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 9:05:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome!

If you have never experienced the north woods of WI feel free to take a scenic drive over to my neck of the woods.

From Wausau on 29 you will see vast farmland & gentle rolling hills. Once you hit 53N you will see a lot of dense forests. Make your way over to St. Croix Falls State Park where you will see the remnants of the glacial flow that cut the St. Croix river valley. Then take 35N heading to Superior & you will go through beautiful Polk & Burnett County. The latter being a county with only 2 stoplights (Polk May have 1 or 2, not sure). You will pass over the Yellow River several times, go past Patterson State Park, which is the highest waterfall in WI, up to the beautiful scenery that is Lake Superior.

The return trip any direction you go is equally as beautiful.
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#3]
About 40 minutes south of you is Midwestern Shooters supply.  They have a nice inside pistol range.  Take I 41 south get off at Lomira, Hwy 67 go east over the Freeway bridge look to the southeast and you will see the place.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 8:50:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Retired here from Texas last April (yes, I know that's bass-ackwards), but my wife is from here and has family here.  We've never lived close to her family in 42 years of marriage.

We live in Oshkosh and are enjoying the slower pace here when compared to the DFW area.  Every time I'm in "rush hour" here, I just smile.

What I would like to know is where I can find both an indoor and outdoor rifle range.  In Frisco we had a range with a 100 yd indoor rifle range, which was very nice.  (Unless the Fudds whacked all of the mechanisms in all four lanes siting in their deer rifles.)  I prefer shooting outdoors, but obviously it may have to warm up slightly to make that feasible.

Any help would be appreciated!

I've been looking and found Van Dyne Sportsmens Club.  Good, bad, okay?
View Quote
Welcome to Oshvegas! I too reside in Oshkosh. I've been a member at Van Dyne for a few years on and off mostly because it not too far from my house. I actually car pool to work with one of the board members. It's ok but it's pretty much FUDDville out there, your going take a back seat to the trap/skeet guys. I'll probably reup this year but just as a backup. A FFL I used told me about Ripon gun club and he said it's way more oriented around "tactical" type shooting. A buddy and I intend to check it out this spring
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 10:25:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 2:51:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I like ripon and belong there for a few years, They got a good area to shoot pistol and you can shoot I think 600 yards If you close down the road.
The downside of them is they continually have things going on and it's hard to find an open time to shoot. It seems like every weekend they have A tournament.
View Quote
He mentioned that. I was told there was actually 2 ranges, the old and the new one. He said the old one is usually always open. You'd know better than me I guess though. I've always had access to a private range up until recently so I'm still trying to figure out where to go.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#8]
If you want a great indoor range, take a 25 minute drive up 41 to Little Chute and check out Trigger Action Sports.  Best indoor range I've ever been to.  Great staff, great facility, great rules (i.e. pretty flexible but safe).  It is only a 100' indoor, but is rated for pistol and rifle.

Welcome!
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:28:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I just open the kitchen window. Kind of a indoor outdoor setup. Hopefully you bought a place with enough land to do the same????
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:36:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There is two ranges sort of, Basically it's a pistol range and the other ones a rifle range with a little bit of pistol area.
The newer pistol range is pretty fun because they have it set up where are you shoot behind walls, And other little set ups. There is probably about 10 different outdoor bays that are fenced in by concrete block
View Quote
Noted. I'll have to go check it out here when it warms up a bit.

As you can see OP, there are quite a few options around. Another buddy of mine always raves about The Firing Line in Appleton. I've never been but he seems to like it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the welcome and all the info everyone.  It is greatly appreciated!  It's good to know there are quite a few options, even up north!  Thanks for the invites.

I've been shooting at Fireline in Appleton which seems okay.  I look forward to trying a few more places.  When it's warmer, I would like to try some 200 yd and 300 yd shooting.  When I was young, and in basic training, I could knock down torsos at 300 yds all day long.  Now I need optics to hit that far!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 11:34:14 PM EDT
[#13]
FYI, Oshkosh is a nice city to live in but in the summer the south end of town gets a tad congested. like around the airshow.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Indoor shooting you can’t beat trigger in little chute. Handgun or rifle up to 50bmg I’m told lol.

But brand new, clean, friendly, allow holster work etc. the store area is also very nice but not Too big of a selection.

Lomira has the older indoor range that’s not bad but if trigger is same distance I’d go there.

If your a member you get 24hr access. Nice for off shift workers.

Outdoor for sure ripon! But I agree there is something every weekend basically.  I go for idpa uspsa and they have 3 gun and cowboy action too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top