Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2011 6:02:00 AM EDT
I don't know if it's my area or what, but I've had piss poor luck with any kind of contractor. They never show up, or have a last minute issue, or want to charge triple the going rate.

I need a class A chimney installed. I got a really good deal on a used stove, and all chimney pieces. I have never installed a chimney before, and know there are rules for separation and whatnot. I would prefer to have someone who knows WTF they are doing take lead, and I can assist.

I called one place, made an appointment. They showed up an hour late. Came up with a good game plan, which invovled paying $2700 to install their own brand of chimney because "well, you might not have all the parts, or might need  some adjustments". They won't use my stuff, F-em. I don't have $2700  to blow.

Second place was supposed to come out last night. An hour and a half after the scheduled appointment, I call and ask if I got the date wrong. Nope, I had it right, he lost the appointment slip in his truck.

Seriously. WTF. I just want to get the thing installed before winter. Hell...I'd even do all the labor, if I had someone that could point out when I do something wrong, unsafe, or code breaking. Am I being paranoid by not just doing it myself? Are there that many rules, or is it pretty simple?

Lastly, are there any sweeps or chimney installers that would be looking for a small job? I'll gladly pay the going rate. But I'm not gonna pay some inconsiderate A-hole $2700 because he prefers to use his own brand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you done research on WI code requirements (your building inspector might help), and installation practices?

We briefly considered installing a direct vent gas fireplace during our remodel, but decided not too in the end, didn't really have the budget. All I can remember about that was that you couldn't locate the outside vent near a window door, which doesn't help in your case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:15:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have you done research on WI code requirements (your building inspector might help), and installation practices?

We briefly considered installing a direct vent gas fireplace during our remodel, but decided not too in the end, didn't really have the budget. All I can remember about that was that you couldn't locate the outside vent near a window door, which doesn't help in your case.

From what I'm reading in our township  code, the only time a permit is needed is if a renovation over $3k in value is being completed.

The more I look in to the documentation, the more tempted I am to install it myself.

http://www.duravent.com/docs/product/L119_Apr2011.pdf

The photo below shows the exact install we are doing. It will be along an older chimney that was knocked apart to below the roof line. Same as what one of the pro's recommended, but with HIS pipe and materials. minimum setback for this type of chimney is 2 inches.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 8:55:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm familiar with the product, and (way) in the past have done the framing and related structural work around several installs, that's where the work is.
I would make every effort to run the chimney without any elbows if possible, and if you make bends try to make them navigable by whatever cleaning rod or pull you would use.
If you have a doubt about the structural integrity of any framing changes you make that's where to pay for expertise, IMO. If you can follow directions and pay attention to detail the flue work should be no problem.

C361
Stan

If we were to go straight up with no elbows, it would take us out the peak of the roof. I haven't been able to find any sort of roof penetration for a roof peak. That's the reason for the angle.

Moving the stove would run it through the front of a closet on the second floor, which would be less desirable.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 10:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I believe that this is a lot like B-vent or the same thing. Double wall exhaust. I had posted early in the year that I was replacing my water heater with a gas water heater. I did the work myself and found it to be VERY easy to do. Easier than I thought it would be. Everything is to code and I even as a precaution when I went through my cieling and roof I triple walled the pipe just to be sure. Menards has all the stuff you will need to do the job. Just remember the direction of flow when connecting the pipe in the right direction.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just remember the direction of flow when connecting the pipe in the right direction.

lol...

But yeah...the more I look in to it, the easier it seems to be. the install manual covers just about everything. Parts for this brand are sold at Fleet Farm. It's a triple wall system, with fiberglass between the inner two walls, and and an inch or so of air around between the outer two walls.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Have you checked with your  insurer to see what they will accept? Our ins. guy came to the house, looked at the stove and chimney, asked who installed it and that was it. I have heard other companies will not even insure you when you burn wood.

Wont be long and you will need to light that sucker so good luck. I won't recommend the people who did ours as they did a really shitty job. The only one in the area I know is Goldens in Fox Lake.
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 1:01:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Have you checked with your  insurer to see what they will accept? Our ins. guy came to the house, looked at the stove and chimney, asked who installed it and that was it. I have heard other companies will not even insure you when you burn wood.

Wont be long and you will need to light that sucker so good luck. I won't recommend the people who did ours as they did a really shitty job. The only one in the area I know is Goldens in Fox Lake.

My folks had a similar inspection - they didn't care who put it in, but they wanted to see that it wasn't duct taped and hodge-podged together.  We had to enlarge the brick base around the stove a little bit, but after there was no trouble.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Quoted:

My folks had a similar inspection - they didn't care who put it in, but they wanted to see that it wasn't duct taped and hodge-podged together.  We had to enlarge the brick base around the stove a little bit, but after there was no trouble.

USAA. Already asked the insurance company, they said to just update the specs of the house in the policy. No new inspection, no increase in rates. This is when I asked abotu a wood stove. Fireplace is a differnent story.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:00:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know if it's my area or what, but I've had piss poor luck with any kind of contractor. They never show up, or have a last minute issue, or want to charge triple the going rate.

I need a class A chimney installed. I got a really good deal on a used stove, and all chimney pieces. I have never installed a chimney before, and know there are rules for separation and whatnot. I would prefer to have someone who knows WTF they are doing take lead, and I can assist.

I called one place, made an appointment. They showed up an hour late. Came up with a good game plan, which invovled paying $2700 to install their own brand of chimney because "well, you might not have all the parts, or might need  some adjustments". They won't use my stuff, F-em. I don't have $2700  to blow.

Second place was supposed to come out last night. An hour and a half after the scheduled appointment, I call and ask if I got the date wrong. Nope, I had it right, he lost the appointment slip in his truck.

Seriously. WTF. I just want to get the thing installed before winter. Hell...I'd even do all the labor, if I had someone that could point out when I do something wrong, unsafe, or code breaking. Am I being paranoid by not just doing it myself? Are there that many rules, or is it pretty simple?

Lastly, are there any sweeps or chimney installers that would be looking for a small job? I'll gladly pay the going rate. But I'm not gonna pay some inconsiderate A-hole $2700 because he prefers to use his own brand.

if i were you, i would do the install and have someone inspect it.
otherwise you will be raped on price. especialy since you did not buy the stove from the installer...
as for sweeping
buy a ladder and do it yourself, its not hard at all. i swept mine for the first time a month ago(enviro venice 1700 wood stove runs 24-7 in winter) and not much creosote came out, so burning dry seasoned wood helps a LOT.
supplies to sweep yourself cost under 20$  if you use a rope and the brush.

or if a HTF installed will hook you up that is your second best bet...
however tust but verify their work. i caught my installers taking a few shortcuts that reduce heating eficiency and safety
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:04:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just remember the direction of flow when connecting the pipe in the right direction.

lol...

But yeah...the more I look in to it, the easier it seems to be. the install manual covers just about everything. Parts for this brand are sold at Fleet Farm. It's a triple wall system, with fiberglass between the inner two walls, and and an inch or so of air around between the outer two walls.

the only thing to worry about with a DIY is liability in the event of a fire...
insurance companies hate DIY work, so at a minimum you need it inspected.
Link Posted: 9/30/2011 5:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
the only thing to worry about with a DIY is liability in the event of a fire...
insurance companies hate DIY work, so at a minimum you need it inspected.

And that's why I'm looking for the assistance of someone who's BTDT.

As for sweeping, it came with the brush and 15 feet of rod.

I literally got everything you'd need, minus wood, installation, and any customization pieces. for $800.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Had another guy come out. Older guy and his son.

Looks like i'm doing it myself.

He wanted us to do the roof penetration, cut the holes in the floor, frame in the second story portion, and he would come and hook up pipe. $40/person, 8 hours, $640.
Sorry, no. Can't do that. Putting the pipe together is the easy part, and I'm not paying $640 to have someone put a few pieces together.  Meh.

He had some good advice though. We ended up picking up dual wall black pipe to decrease separation between the stovepipe and wall. Ended up picking up a new floor pad. The one we had was built out of 2x4s, cementboard, and tiles. Good construction, but heavy as fook, and not designed to be moved. The minute we took it off the trailer, tiles started falling off.

Will also need to replace the seal on the door, but that's a simple fix.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top