Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2006 12:25:34 PM EDT
Any place local (milwaukee) or if I have to travel to madison where I can get MREs? I want a couple of B cases. Will settle for A.
Thanks ahead of time
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:50:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm interested as well...maybe we could get a big buy setup for WI folks if we can't find them locally...?  

I'm in Madison but could probably travel to Milwaukee if we got a good deal.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:45:15 PM EDT
[#3]
if i remember correctly they did have some at the armynavy surplus there downtown milwaukee. No where near the selection I am used too from the surplus in Az but its a start. Might call that sherpers everyone talks about.

I for one ate enough of them in my younger days and wont again unless the need is there. Much rather just stock up on chef-boy-ardee or dinty moore myself

good luck in your search
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#4]
MRE's are harder to find because legally you can't sell the newer ones made in the last couple years, they're marked "US Government property, Commercial Resalse is UNlawful"  so private form an individual is the only way. LEgally  that is, unless you find places that sell the ones made right before these :D
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 2:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Local MRE supplies seem to have dried up.  My local surplus shop dealer tells me that his usual suppliers are all deployed overseas.  You might find some at gun shows.

If you order online, I've found the Sopakco brand to be fairly good.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Look here 49.00 per case shipped to me in Madison.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:35:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Those arent MREs'
Madison surplus store on state used to have em> I even got some really really good german army ones around 91. But I havent lived there for a long time. Only surplus store I know of around here doesnt ahve anything. Ebay has good deals but the shipping is as much as the asking price.

Ok
Priorities, Sopako is good? Im willing to try em. Any place local?

Who makes the ones on sportsmans club. I heard they are kinda light in food.

Thanks for  the heads up on the other brands. Whats important is shelf life, calories, and editability.
I know mil-spec MREs' meet those criteria but im willing to try others
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:52:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Sopako makes USG MRE's
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sopako makes USG MRE's

I'm ashamed I have to ask, but what does USG stand for?  (Google was no help.)

Edit: I just realised: U.S. Government.  Doh!  BTW: the Sopakos I have are not exactly like the real ones, but they are closer than most of the civvy ones for sale.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#10]
any place local on the sopako?
Ebay is about 75 plus shipping
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
any place local on the sopako?
Ebay is about 75 plus shipping

Don't know anyplace local for any MRE's.  I got my Sopakos from www.campingsurvival.com/fulmremilrea.html  .  They are currently $69 a case.  Shipping to WI was $10.12.  They do not come with heaters.  (available seperately)  They come with pretty much everything else like a real .mil MRE.  The cheaper civie MREs typically skimp on the sides and extras.  (like having saltine crackers and jelly packets similar to the kind you get at a local diner.)  Nothing wrong with the cheaper civie versions as long as you know what you're getting and it meets your needs.

Many of the Ebay ones will rape you on shipping.  Hope that helps.

Edit for correct price.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:01:39 PM EDT
[#12]
LRRPs and C rations was DE shit in my time in Army

Anyone remember Lima beans & Ham man it would gag a maggot

The Lucky Strikes and Paul Malls was cool
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#13]
In the navy our lifeboat rations were
Can of water
Chuckles candy
Pall mall or lucky strike cigarettes
Matches

Don't know anyplace local for any MRE's. I got my Sopakos from www.campingsurvival.com/fulmremilrea.html . They are currently $69 a case. Shipping to WI was $10.12. They do not come with heaters. (available seperately) They come with pretty much everything else like a real .mil MRE. The cheaper civie MREs typically skimp on the sides and extras. (like having saltine crackers and jelly packets similar to the kind you get at a local diner.) Nothing wrong with the cheaper civie versions as long as you know what you're getting and it meets your needs.

Many of the Ebay ones will rape you on shipping. Hope that helps.

Edit for correct price.

Very helpful and cheaper than ebay too
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:59:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Why would anyone want to eat these if they don't have to? Are you storing them in your bunker for the END? or what? Go to the store and buy some real food or go shoot some real meat!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:00:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Why would anyone want to eat these if they don't have to? Are you storing them in your bunker for the END? or what? Go to the store and buy some real food or go shoot some real meat!

These are typically stored for when they may be needed.  But thanks for your usual constructive input.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

These are typically stored for when they may be needed.  But thanks for your usual constructive input.

Give me a "may be needed" in last ten years. I just think it's assanine and I'm not sure about your comment regarding my usual constructive input, but it is my input right or wrong, different or not it's my input WTF.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Give me a "may be needed" in last ten years. I just think it's assanine and I'm not sure about your comment regarding my usual constructive input, but it is my input right or wrong, different or not it's my input WTF.

I guess that what I meant by your "constructive input" is that your input into this particular discussion was anything but constructive.  If you choose, you do not have to be prepared for any kind of curve ball that life may throw you, but some of us choose to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  Also with MREs some guys like to take them when they go backpacking and light camping.  And if you think that a particular discussion is assinine then you do not have to type a reply in that particular discussion.

Maybe you should lose that chip you have on your shoulder and try to participate in some good discussion that takes place here.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Wait a minute you forgot to tell what they were needed for in last ten years. I can think of a lot better things to eat when camping. Stop pretending you're on some desolate island. Be real if the end comes all's you need is good aim with a high power rifle and you can get all the food you need.  Waiting for anarchy...............!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#19]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 8:26:25 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IBTL

If you have nothing to imput then say nothing at all
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:12:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If you have nothing to imput then say nothing at all

You should heed your own advice.

edited after I cooled down from the heat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:52:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Please do not feed the troll.

Mpx: Stay cool out there.  We need you home safe.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:22:35 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Wait a minute you forgot to tell what they were needed for in last ten years. I can think of a lot better things to eat when camping. Stop pretending you're on some desolate island. Be real if the end comes all's you need is good aim with a high power rifle and you can get all the food you need.  Waiting for anarchy...............!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh sorry.  Since we haven't needed any SHTF preparations in the last 10 years we will never need any in the future???  That is some fucked up logic you use there jackgun.  

Congratulations on being the only troll in the Wisconsin hometown forums.  Why don't you go play in general discussion or something?

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:19:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:34:06 PM EDT
[#25]

Give me a "may be needed" in last ten years. I just think it's assanine and I'm not sure about your comment regarding my usual constructive input, but it is my input right or wrong, different or not it's my input WTF

I am sure some of the people in the big easy would have loved some of these last year. Not to mention any of the other disasters around the world. Tsunami, earthquake in Pakistan etc etc.

Anyway being that you are our resident troll there is no convincing you

Anyway another option as mentioned are the civie versions. I know REI keeps a pretty decient stock on hand and I am sure they taste better, but also cost more as well. I know the IN THE EVENT OF need taste isnt the first concern, however it gives you the option of wanting to eat as shelf life expires.

Assuming you dont have children they love MREs especially when camping or at boyscout jamborees
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:45:38 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

IBTL  
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

So you are saying that you will go out and take someones hard earned preps or that you will go out and shoot the animals on someone else's property. Either one of witch in the event of SHTF can (and probably will) get you very dead.

I don't know you (nor want to) but if you have a couple thousand acres all your own then feel free to harvest your own meat all you want. It is kinda hard to live on just meat tho vegetables are kinda good to eat once in a while just to get your vitamins up. If you just go out everytime you are hungry and knock down a deer then you are wasting resources and your deer herd will not last for long. If you figure on keeping venison around while you eat it be advised that meat goes bad pretty fast during the warmer months. If you plan on preserving the meat somehow then you are putting your own preps up. Don't knock the way someone else puts up theirs.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:03:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:04:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Folks, it's been handled.  Don't feed the trolls (or get the damn thread locked).
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:04:07 PM EDT
[#30]
enough
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top