Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 6:18:47 PM EDT
I took and passed my GED about a month ago. Also i've been going back and forwarth to the army recruiterS for a few weeks. have a run around with the county and local pd for my juvi record. and only have one incident that requires a wavier. so theyre gona get that ready for me tomorrow. and i gota pee in a cup too. friday i take the ASVAB, saterday its MEPS. since i the only bonus i'd quallify for is an early bootcam notice thing looks like i'm leaving on oct 3 hopefully. my fiance nearly killed by adding much more stress to her day. now we gota elope sometime soon. i'll proll add more when i know more and have time.

Jesse
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:13:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations man.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats dude, and good luck!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Active duty?  MOS?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck dude. I hope everything works out alright for you 2.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:51:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Congrats, dude.  Now make her an honest woman already!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:28:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Wow. Good for you on making the best out of your life and turning a new leaf. Hopefully things work out for the best.

More details on the MIL? You going Reserves or Active?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:38:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn Jesse thats fast. I remember you saying something about joining up but I didn't think it would go this fast.

ETA: you might want to re-think the whole elope thing.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Active duty?  MOS?

No ASVAB, no MOS.

You know that.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
yeah its that fast i wanted to leave in like november.  we were engaged before, wasn't the army thing, it just sped it up. we've been seein each other for close to 3 years now. it won't be that bad while i'm in boot camp cause we have a ld relationship as it is.
i'm taking the asvab on friday. i'm thinking infantry or some combat job. i can't get EOD like i first wanted cause i need a security clearence wich is something a person who has a ged and needs a waiver cant get their first time. if i re-up in the furture i might be able to. Active duty, i want to go to the sandbox, an come back in one piece.

the recruiter said they have a training break around christmas for 20 days or something, so i was hoping some kinda shoot can be in order. while i'm away i'll have the soon to be Mrs's update you all if you want.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 11:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
. i'm thinking infantry

the recruiter said they have a training break around christmas for 20 days or something,

Hell, just writing your name on the test qualifies you for 11B

I recall it being closer to 1 week.

Oh, and are you sure you don't want to talk it over with some prior/current service personnel before signing your life away?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:21:38 AM EDT
[#11]
i've talked it over with a buddy in the sandbox now. but i'm still open if you have any tips for me PX you can call me tonight i think you got my cell.

edited cause i forgot what day it is and its closing in real fast...
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
yeah its that fast i wanted to leave in like november.  we were engaged before, wasn't the army thing, it just sped it up. we've been seein each other for close to 3 years now. it won't be that bad while i'm in boot camp cause we have a ld relationship as it is.
i'm taking the asvab on friday. i'm thinking infantry or some combat job. i can't get EOD like i first wanted cause i need a security clearence wich is something a person who has a ged and needs a waiver cant get their first time. if i re-up in the furture i might be able to. Active duty, i want to go to the sandbox, an come back in one piece.

the recruiter said they have a training break around christmas for 20 days or something, so i was hoping some kinda shoot can be in order. while i'm away i'll have the soon to be Mrs's update you all if you want.

Little advice from X USAR Drill Sgt.

1 If you smoke quit now

2 Start running and PT Every Day

3 Keep your mouth shut in basic don't stand out

4 Learn how to make your bed the military way now and practice

5 Run more and double your PT

6 Get all your personal shit squared away

7 Never volunteer

8 Keep your mouth shut ears open don't get into grab ass when your training

9 Make sure this is what you want before you sign up.

10 Can you kill  because if you get a combat MOS they are going to make you a killing machine

11 More running more PT the stronger you are before BCT the better

12 Ask Mister PX about who Jodee is When I got drafted I was engaged got a Dear John the day before I had to use the frags it really sucks to have to worry about your Women back home.

If you want to talk to me about BCT just get hold of me Its been a long time ago 1972-78 so things have changed but I can give you the mind set of a Drill Sgt

If you want to be a grunt then I would say Fuck It and go in the Marines Every Marine Is a grunt

usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjobs/a/arjobs.htm
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I took and passed my GED about a month ago. Also i've been going back and forwarth to the army recruiterS for a few weeks. have a run around with the county and local pd for my juvi record. and only have one incident that requires a wavier. so theyre gona get that ready for me tomorrow. and i gota pee in a cup too. friday i take the ASVAB, saterday its MEPS. since i the only bonus i'd quallify for is an early bootcam notice thing looks like i'm leaving on oct 3 hopefully. my fiance nearly killed by adding much more stress to her day. now we gota elope sometime soon. i'll proll add more when i know more and have time.

Jesse

Marines= Boot Camp
Army= BCT or Basic
Marines=Chow Hall
Army=Mess Hall
Army says Pigs eat Chow Men Eat Mess
Marines=Head
Army=Latrine

Ain't no use in looking down
Ain't no discharge on the ground

Ain't no use in looking back
Jodee's got your Cadillac

Ain't no use in feeling blue
Jodee's got your girlfriend to

Sound Off!

Learn This!

GENERAL ORDERS
1st General Order
I will guard everything within the limits of my post and quit my post only when properly relieved.

2nd General Order
I will obey my special orders and perform all my duties in a military manner.

3rd General Order
I will report violations of my special orders, emergencies, and anything not covered in my instructions, to the commander of the relief

Learn This!

The Six Articles of The Code of Conduct

I am an American, fighting in the forces which guard my country and our way
of life. I am prepared to give my life in their defense.

I will never surrender of my own free will. If in command, I will never
surrender the members of my command while they still have the means to
resist.

If I am captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will
make every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither
parole nor special favors from the enemy.

If I become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners.
I will give no information or take part in any action which might be
harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I will
obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me, and will back them up in
every way.

When questioned, should I become a prisoner of war, I am required to give
only name, rank, service number, and date of birth. I will evade answering
further questions to the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or
written statements disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to
their cause.

I will never forget that I am an American, fighting for freedom,
responsible for my actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my
country free. I will trust in my God and in the United States of America.

Learn This!

Army

The Soldier's Creed

I am an American Soldier.
I am a Warrior and a member of a team. I serve the people of the United States and live the Army Values.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough, trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills. I always maintain my arms, my equipment and myself.
I am an expert and I am a professional.
I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat.
I am a guardian of freedom

"This Is My Rifle"
The Creed of a US Marine

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I WILL...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. WE WILL HIT...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. WE WILL...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. WE ARE THE SAVIORS OF MY LIFE.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!

Please follow this link and read it.www.military.com/Recruiting/Content/0,13898,rec_splash,,00.html

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello congrats on your new path in life.  If I may add to the above advice,  Do not
confuse your gun and your weapon the consequences may be dire.
Work on pushups and situps as well, feet together arms shoulder width apart and
elbows break 90 degrees when down for pushups. Dont be afraid to sound off.  Always give
110% somebody is always watching but you do it for yourself.  The mind always fails before
the body does.  And unless you like pushups do not ever drop your weapon to the ground.

Best of Luck
                                                                                       Dustdevil
                                                                                       84-94 US ARMY
                                                                                       SGT
P.S.  Never call a sergeant SIR
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:31:28 AM EDT
[#15]
thanks mark, i'm gona go for a run today, i wish i had a lot more time to get a little more in shape but nothing i can do about that. the "keep your mouth" shut and don't stand out is the same advice i hear everywere so i'll try not to f* up.
the top thing on my list is to get my personal stuff squared away as my bills are gona go on automatic.
i've wanted this for a long time.
i have no problem killing if i have to. "better them than me"
my fiance has known about this from when i first started to think about. and she is supportive.
i'd like to get into the marines but i with the stuff on my record they won't, and from what i heard each recruiter can only take one GED a year or some stuff and its usually always filled.
i've been on that military site prepping myself for what i'm in for. also with the asvab

why don't you addresss your sergeant as SIR?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:28:44 AM EDT
[#16]
The rules are changing, Jesse. They need people.
They have a new program that enlists drop outs and helps them get a GED while they're in.
If you're sure that you want USMC, then do some talking with them. Call a different recruiting station if you have to. Call five of them.

You're about to commit yourself for eight years. Get what you want.

What's the waiver about, how bad did you fuck up?
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
thanks mark, i'm gona go for a run today, i wish i had a lot more time to get a little more in shape but nothing i can do about that. the "keep your mouth" shut and don't stand out is the same advice i hear everywere so i'll try not to f* up.
the top thing on my list is to get my personal stuff squared away as my bills are gona go on automatic.
i've wanted this for a long time.
i have no problem killing if i have to. "better them than me"
my fiance has known about this from when i first started to think about. and she is supportive.
i'd like to get into the marines but i with the stuff on my record they won't, and from what i heard each recruiter can only take one GED a year or some stuff and its usually always filled.
i've been on that military site prepping myself for what i'm in for. also with the asvab

why don't you addresss your sergeant as SIR?

Because we work for a Living!

The Marines call DIs Sir
The only thing you call a Army Drill Sgt Is Drill Sgt

I'm proud to know you son good luck in the military
Keep In touch
and if you are a regular member at RCLRC you make get a inactive status I'm not sure for associate

Mark
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Sergeants are not referred to as SIR as a matter of respect and protocol in the Army.
Officers are called SIR for the same reason.  The standard response if called SIR is
"Dont call me SIR I work for a living."  All Sgt,SSG,SFC,MSG are spoken to as Sergeant.
1SG is addressed as 1SG, SGM and CSM are addressed as SGT Major. Cpl's are Cpl's
If taken out of context, like replying " YES, Sergent First Class Smith " is generally considered
as an insubordinate remark If talking directly to SFC Smith.  However if speaking to someone else
about Smith one would only need to reply Sgt Smith or SFC Smith and the individual would
understand.  There are exceptions, most Drill Sergeants like to be called as such and some
commands alter the practice normally after some smart-ass plays with the structure to appear
clever to his peers.  I personally have seen promotion boards tear soldiers in little pieces after
replying to a board member sitting in for a 1SG as a SIR.  
On a lighter note on my own board for SSG.  I was asked how tight a frog's ass was.  My reply " Water tight Sergeant Major" and the whole board fell apart laughing not expecting the question.
    Dont confuse rank and pay grade.  Good luck.            Dustdevil out..........
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:19:23 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Sergeants are not referred to as SIR as a matter of respect and protocol in the Army.
Officers are called SIR for the same reason.  The standard response if called SIR is
"Dont call me SIR I work for a living."  All Sgt,SSG,SFC,MSG are spoken to as Sergeant.
1SG is addressed as 1SG, SGM and CSM are addressed as SGT Major. Cpl's are Cpl's
If taken out of context, like replying " YES, Sergent First Class Smith " is generally considered
as an insubordinate remark If talking directly to SFC Smith.  However if speaking to someone else
about Smith one would only need to reply Sgt Smith or SFC Smith and the individual would
understand.  There are exceptions, most Drill Sergeants like to be called as such and some
commands alter the practice normally after some smart-ass plays with the structure to appear
clever to his peers.  I personally have seen promotion boards tear soldiers in little pieces after
replying to a board member sitting in for a 1SG as a SIR.  
On a lighter note on my own board for SSG.  I was asked how tight a frog's ass was.  My reply " Water tight Sergeant Major" and the whole board fell apart laughing not expecting the question.
    Dont confuse rank and pay grade.  Good luck.            Dustdevil out..........

Rodger That
Alpha Mike Foxtrot
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:56:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Probably too late now, but if your gonna amrry her, do it before IET, and you'll get a nice chunk of change for BAQ.

Oh, and what is the shamweful thing you did... we wants to know.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#21]
thank god i am finnished with meps. friday night started out by taking my ASVAB got a 51 i guess its not too bad.Then i met the colonel about my waiver. he asked me why i wanted to join and was satisfied, he even opened my eyes a little more, and gave me more reasons to. and for all you nosey guys my waiver was for a juvinile THC possesion.
i missed "dinner" when i got back, everyone execpt 2 otheres missed it as well. the others that made it sayd it was better to miss it and that the cook was an asshole. most of us gathered around the entrance of the hotel and met eachother a little bit. 6 of us walked down the street to applebees ahd the 2 that missed dinner ate while the others snacked on some fries and had their binge smokes.
woke up at 4:30 got my "breakfast" it was ok, the others said it was much better than the dinner.
walked to the federal building signed in and put my bag through the x-ray machine. the lady completely freaked out and called over her co-worker cause i had a surefire 6P and she didn't know what it was.
i was the verry first group through medical and passed.  then the WAITING BEGAN!!!!!!!!! i waited for my aims test to start and passed that. went to my counseler's office and waited for them to tell me that i gota wait and that i should just eat lunch. came back waited for a few more hours got called in.

I picked 11X infantry and i'll be training at benning.   i know its gona be rough there.  i leave 20051013 instead of 20051003. i'm in for 3 years 18 weeks. i picked 3 over 2 so i could get a 14K bonus and a 400 a month army assignment incentive pay. my new home after all that and iraq wich will be a high probability for me will be Carsen Colorado.

some how there was a screwup along the way and one for was for 4 years instead of 3. had to wait some more to get it corrected. had to go back to the other place i was originally waiting in line for and start over again. got throgh that and had my fingerprints done. waited some more and i got sworn in. i'm now a PVT. had to wait in line for another form and left with my recruiter
i got home at 1700 hrs.
all in all i spent 90% of my time there sittin around waiting for shit and 10% actually doing something productive in getting me through meps
its about  2030 hrs and i need sleep
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:38:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, congradulations recruit.  Consider what I said about the marriage thing, if you can trust her.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:25:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:35:31 PM EDT
[#24]

12 Ask Mister PX about who Jodee is When I got drafted I was engaged got a Dear John the day before I had to use the frags it really sucks to have to worry about your Women back home.

When I was in Basic, I got a letter from my GF telling me she was leaving me for the local tractor salesman. Guess you could say I got a John Deere letter.

I slay me.

Congratulations Jesse.
Basic really isn't that difficult physically. As long as you remember the worst they can do is drop you for a few pushups and fuck with your sleep a little, you can avoid lettin them psych you out too badly. Just shut up, listen and dress right dress.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

3 Keep your mouth shut in basic don't stand out

Okay, that sucked for me. I was 6'-7" and weighed in at 320 pounds. The physical punishment was fine but I think the DI had a Napoleon Complex. I was his favorite turd for the length of BT.

Hey, who the hell started dredging this crap up anyway?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:17:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Congradulations...All good advice, now I'm gonna give ya some...Don't worry about being a super ninja ranger special forces killin machine.  Just Soldier. be the first guy to volunteer, forget all that Bullshit, be your own dog and make things happen. learn everything you can until you can master it backwards and forwards. Learn the nomenclature of your equiptment. master the basic task's and then help you team to do the same. be the guy people come to when they need help or an answer. treat everyone with the same respect you expect to be treated. Even if it seems impossible, continue on, never quit and never give up and don't let anyone around you convince you to quit just because they want to.  if it were easy...everyone would want to do.... think about that.  if your a Basic rifleman, then be the best one you can, until they think its time to make you a fire team leader, (You should be learning the next higher job after you think you have your current job mastered anyhow).

It's cheap advice, but it's good advice and will take you far if you decide to make a career or do your hitch and bail.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top