Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2004 9:08:28 PM EDT
Any good local smiths reccomended,preferably with machining capabilities and experience with evil guns.I have a  couple of guns that NEED flash suppresors and a project or two in the works. If there's an exceptional smith with outstanding prices and fast turnaround outside of Wisconsin i'd be interested as well.Thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 2:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
i had Lauer thread a barrel for me last year.  you might find someone else to do it for cheaper... i don't remember what it cost me..maybe $80???
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If there's an exceptional smith with outstanding prices and fast turnaround outside of Wisconsin i'd be interested as well.Thanks

You may want to give Steve @ Adco Firearms a yell.

You'd have to pay the shipping, but I believe he does the threading for about $85 on a barrel that already has a brake.

Great service and fast turnaround (usually like 1 week - but call to get an ETA).
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 6:54:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Holy Cow!  $80-$85 to thread a barrel?  I rented a threading kit from a guy on another board for $16, and for that $16 I had use of the kit for a couple of days and could thread all the barrels I wanted.  Most importantly, it was easy as all hell.  Even a monkey could do it, with a little training.  I am not sure if the guy with the barrel threading kit is on this board too, but if you are on other boards you might want to do a search for "barrel threading kit", or a member search for "wjm".  You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 12:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Holy Cow!  $80-$85 to thread a barrel?  I rented a threading kit from a guy on another board for $16, and for that $16 I had use of the kit for a couple of days and could thread all the barrels I wanted.  Most importantly, it was easy as all hell.  Even a monkey could do it, with a little training.  I am not sure if the guy with the barrel threading kit is on this board too, but if you are on other boards you might want to do a search for "barrel threading kit", or a member search for "wjm".  You won't be disappointed.

for an AK right?
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#5]
tacked.

I need the same. And some work done on a bolt gun.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 5:10:53 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Holy Cow!  $80-$85 to thread a barrel?  

Dale,

I can tell you from experience that removing a pinned and welded brake is no easy task.

Add that to removing the barrel, cutting a shoulder, threading, and reinstalling the barrel, you've got at least an hour and a half worth of work, maybe as much as 4 hours (if you're me ).

That breaks down to about $55 an hour at most.  It aint chump change, but it isn't exorbitant either.

JMHO

-FMD
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:13:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Gander Mountain might do it. I know they do gunsmithing but I'm not positive they will thread a barrel. Doesn't hurt to ask. I was told that the one at Gander Mountain in Germantown was good.

IIRC KKF will thread barrels for $45. Kurt is a good gunsmith to deal with.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 7:57:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Gander Mountain might do it. I know they do gunsmithing but I'm not positive they will thread a barrel. Doesn't hurt to ask. I was told that the one at Gander Mountain in Germantown was good.

IIRC KKF will thread barrels for $45. Kurt is a good gunsmith to deal with.

The older, heavier gentleman at the GM in Germantown with the grey hair is cool.  Let us know what he says if you ask him.
Link Posted: 9/14/2004 8:25:43 PM EDT
[#9]
i heard a horror story about the gander mtn in duluth mn screwing a scope base into the bolt..doh!  they forgot to take it out before they screwed it on.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 3:35:11 AM EDT
[#10]
I've also got two GM horror stories (sorry for the hijack)

1) I had the Appleton store install a set of Trijicon night sights on my USP45.  They didn't screw up the frame, but they bunged up the rear sight pretty good.  Their response: "Too bad, maybe you shouldn't have had us install inferior quality aftermarket parts".

2) I just picked up a few Stag lowers from Eagle in CO.  Gander in Brookfield had the cheapest transfer going ($25 to receive all 3).  When they came in, they didn't want to do the transfer, because "Gander Mountian doesn't traffic in these types of guns".

I forced the issue, and they grudgingly did the paperwork, but they were not happy about doing a transfer on 3 AR-15's.  Seems GM must consider them "non-sporting" or something.  Either way, I was planning on dropping another coupla hundred right then (I have other stuff to buy), but decided I'd rather deal with someone else's attitude.

Bottom line after my recent (Monday) experience with Gander:  They want nothing to do with our "evil black rifles".

-FMD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top