Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2021 9:17:57 AM EDT
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/the-mudslide-that-never-happened-how-incorrect-information-caused-confusion-for-drivers

In the meantime, drivers have been finding other ways around the area. For some, Independence Pass (Colorado 82) has been an option. Pictures on social media show a packed road in both directions.

On Wednesday, however, the Pitkin County Sheriff’s Office sent out a tweet saying the road was closed due to a mudslide. Given the state’s serious wildfires last year and heavy rains this year, the notification didn’t seem out of the ordinary.

Another tweet sent out 11 minutes later reiterated the fact that there was a mudslide and encouraging people to find an alternate route.

CDOT’s website was also updated to reflect the road closure, blaming it on a mudslide in the area. Google, Apple and other GPS mapping systems were subsequently notified by the agency that the road was closed and started routing traffic around the pass.

In reality, there was no mudslide, and the road was not closed off.

More than an hour after sending out the first tweet about the mudslide, the sheriff’s office changed courses, saying in a tweet the road is shown as closed on the state’s website and various GPS systems, “to prevent I-70 detour traffic from being routed onto that rural, challenging mountain highway with limited cell service.”
View Quote

Did CDOT lie? Internal CDOT emails show why employees decided to misinform drivers

Think of all the other things government is lying to us about if they’ll so casually lie about stupid stuff like this.

Sad.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 10:40:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Shouldn't the thread title say "County Sheriff" instead of CDOT?

Seems from the article that CDOT was relying on others to provide the information they used to update the website.

Link Posted: 8/13/2021 11:08:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Shouldn't the thread title say "County Sheriff" instead of CDOT?

Seems from the article that CDOT was relying on others to provide the information they used to update the website.

View Quote

In the video they have copies of CDOT emails that indicate that CDOT was straight-up lying.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In the video they have copies of CDOT emails that indicate that CDOT was straight-up lying.
View Quote

Ah, I didn't watch the video, just went to the link.
Link Posted: 8/13/2021 5:53:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a business trip to Rifle a couple weeks ago and Google maps kept getting confused. Eventually just called my hotel and got the real story from the locals.

I get why they did this, but its still a shitty move to pull. Just put checkpoints in and turn back the CMV and RV traffic.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top